Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM

415 posts, read 650,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Agreed. Was just in DC yesterday, saw the same thing.

As long as we're on the subject of Metrorail etiquette...was on it once when a few people were getting up the stairs right as the doors started to close. They managed to get on, but the driver comes on and asks people to stop holding the doors as we needed to continue on. Anyway, one more lady manages to barely get on...and proceeds to start yelling at the guy standing closest to the door because he didn't stick his arm out to prevent the door from closing (door essentially closed on her). Was she just a b*tch or was the guy not practicing proper transit etiquette.
I live in DC and that is pretty much the standard. You stand to the right if you are not in a hurry so other can pass you on the left. The problem is that not everyone taking the metro is going to work on a daily basis and therefore not aware of the "escalator etiquette" so you still get people standing to the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That's in New York and you are in Miami.

The Stairs are for the people who are in a hurry. The escalators are for people who can't take the stairs(older, children, disable) or people who are just tired or not in a hurry. They are not for people who left their homes 10 minutes too late, and just want to run over other people in a moving object. I find people who pass others on escalators pretty rude actually, especially when they are going super fast, like they are gonna miss their wedding, like they are so important.
If you are in a hurry why would you run up the stairs when you can simply walk up the escalator and still get there faster. And besides everyone doesn't want to RUN especially in the heat so you can be completely soaked by the time you get to work.

I actually find it rude when people act as if they own the escalator and act as if they are offended by someone passing them. They obviously aren't in a rush so why should they care if someone else is. It's like they are mad that someone else IS important and they aren't. You act as if no one is actually going to work or to any sort of engagement.

So you have the point of view of the people who want to walk down the escalator. They simply want people to stand to the right and and let them pass. They don't care if the people are or are not in a rush. If they want to go fast, then go fast, if they want to go slow then go slow. Just politely let them pass. Live and let live.

Then you have the point of view of people who don't want to walk down the escalator. They want to take as much time as they want, but are offended if someone simply wants to walk pass them. "If you want to go faster than me then you have to take the stairs" I guess I missed when the city banned people in a hurry from the escalators.

And how is this different then walking down the sidewalk. In America we usually wall to the right of the sidewalk. If someone is going slower you usually wait until there is enough space to the left and then pass them. Next you going to say people in a hurry should cross the street and run around you.

And let's be honest were not talking about elderly or disabled people. 90% of the people are just simply lazy and don't want to expend enough energy to put one foot in front of the other and simply walk.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I live in DC and that is pretty much the standard. You stand to the right if you are not in a hurry so other can pass you on the left. The problem is that not everyone taking the metro is going to work on a daily basis and therefore not aware of the "escalator etiquette" so you still get people standing to the left.
Right. It's the standard but that doesn't mean it's always followed. The OP was trying to connect it to some sort of cultural thing, whereas my opinion is that not always following the rules transcends cultures.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Right. It's the standard but that doesn't mean it's always followed. The OP was trying to connect it to some sort of cultural thing, whereas my opinion is that not always following the rules transcends cultures.
Completely agree, I was trying to touch on that by saying people here do the same thing and they obviously aren't from the same culture as people the people in Miami.

And it also makes it harder when its not an actual rule, as represented by the disagreement between Princ3s and I.

From my experience people who use the public transit for leisure have a different view from people who use public transit for work. As a 30 year old business man I find myself ALWAYS in a hurry regardless of what time I left the house. I'm sure a 60 year old retired woman out shopping views her time differently.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
If you are in a hurry why would you run up the stairs when you can simply walk up the escalator and still get there faster. And besides everyone doesn't want to RUN especially in the heat so you can be completely soaked by the time you get to work.

Because the escalators were not created for irresponsible procrastinators that can't wait 1 or 2 minutes. They are created for those who don't want to walk or have difficulties doing so. Those people either need to take the stairs or put up with people blocking their way (they can always say "excuse me" it's not like it's THAT difficult. They are not entitled to anything, their lack of time management skills doesn't give them any special rights. It is what it is and there will always be people blocking escalators, especially with the amount of tourists and car drivers that we have here.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Because the escalators were not created for irresponsible procrastinators that can't wait 1 or 2 minutes. They are created for those who don't want to walk or have difficulties doing so. Those people either need to take the stairs or put up with people blocking their way. They are not entitled to anything, their lack of time management doesn't give them any special rights.
Everyone who is in a hurry isn't an irresponsible procrastinator. Some people just have busy schedules.

They put escalators in places like malls where they don't even have regular stairs. This is actually how it is in DC.

In today's world they put escalators because most people simply don't like to walk up and down the steps. Everyone has equal right to them. Now if you want to make escalators for people with difficulties only then I wouldn't have a problem using the stairs. I personally take the stairs if I'm not in a hurry. It's usually when I'm trying to catch a train or I'm really in a rush. In DC we also have elevators which I also never use because they're actually longer than taking the escalators.

And again I missed the city wide memo that declared who escalators were for. Usually when something is reserved for someone they put a clear sign that indicates it. Like how they put a priority seating sign next to larger seats for people or a handicap sign on the larger bathroom stall.

But to tell me that I don't have the right to walk up or down an escalator because some lazy, overweight guy who just got finished eating a 2 triple cheeseburger combo doesn't feel like simply moving to the right is pretty ridiculous.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:45 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Because the escalators were not created for irresponsible procrastinators that can't wait 1 or 2 minutes. They are created for those who don't want to walk or have difficulties doing so. Those people either need to take the stairs or put up with people blocking their way (they can always say "excuse me" it's not like it's THAT difficult. They are not entitled to anything, their lack of time management skills doesn't give them any special rights. It is what it is and there will always be people blocking escalators, especially with the amount of tourists and car drivers that we have here.
And they weren't created for people just standing still, IMO.

They were first invented as an amusement ride, and later used as a 'moving stairway.' A cross between a stairway and an elevator.
Escalator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, on a stairway you walk. On a elevator you stand.

So I guess both those that wish to walk and those that wish to stand are right.

Due to these findings I declare people standing still should stand to the right, people walking up should walk to the left and finally world peace will be achieved.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
You know, it is really funny, the people complaining about all of this escalator etiquette are probably the same people who whine and complain that people drive too fast in miami.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Some people don't have much car etiquette either. Like getting the hell outta the left lane when somebody is trying to pass. Thats not just a Miami thing though, thats a whole US thing.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Way too narrow, if I'm taking the escalator I don't feel like some person passing me. If they want to go faster they can run up the stairs or ask me to move aside, if not I'm gonna stand right in the middle with my hands on both rails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You know, it is really funny, the people complaining about all of this escalator etiquette are probably the same people who whine and complain that people drive too fast in miami.
We've spoken before and you seem like a reasonable guy (go Canes). But I really don't see people complaining about etiquette. I simply walk down the escalator and politely ask people to step aside so I can pass and go on about my business.

It seems to me that people who are actually appalled that someone would ask them to step aside are the people who are complaining. Are you telling me if I was walking down the escalator on my way to class and I asked you to step aside you're going to stand there with you arms on each rail and tell me no and that I should have either ran down the stairs or stop complaining???

***MOD CUT*** I must say If I ran into to someone who actually wouldn't let me pass I think that might situation might lead down the wrong road.

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-15-2010 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami