Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM

470 posts, read 1,194,008 times

Advertisements

I would really like to write a longer post but I have to leave right now. Anyway long story short, Miami as of right now is one of the best sports cities of this cuurent time and if you guys didn't know, successful sports teams, and any good thing sports thing is good for a city in every way. This whole Miami Heat thing and new Marlins Ballpark (even though I'm still not sure if the new Marlins Ballpark is something that should be added RIGHT NOW) but all this, Miami is going to benefit in more than one way and is going to make Miami better in a lot of aspects. Just wanted to post that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Well I would not call it one of the best sports cities as are fans are not so great. Very fair weather BUT when a team is winning the fans do show up in very large numbers. What is going on for the Heat is GREAT! And its great not only for the Heat and its fans but the whole city and all the cities sports teams including the Hurricanes. Having these three baseketball players here is just awesome. Miami is now the sports destination, its not Chicago its not LA its NOT NYC! It is Miami and it will show and has been showing. If these three guys and now with 3 decent role players so far play to their potential the Heat will win a number of NBA titles giving some Miami has never seen since the early 70s Dolphins, a winning team over years, yes the heat had their good years 96-00 and the Marlins have won two World Series but no one has run for years and this team will make that happen and even make Miami a basketball town and not a football town.

And the media attention and star power this Heat team will bring will be great. Its going to be a lot of fun to watch. It is also going to be a lot of fun being a fan of a team that is hated by most.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,286 times
The one team that clearly has the most fan support is the Dolphins. They've been around since the 60's, super bowl title and the perfect season. Their have been generations of Finfans passing down stories and experiences.
Then you got the other sport teams Marlins yr.93, Heat 88 and Panthers 93.
Lets face it not many people care about hockey in South Florida.

The Marlins people want to go to the games but they never keep their palyers. Makes it kinda hard to grow a fan base when as soon as you get a favorite player he's traded. However things are looking up Hanley and J.J. both the all-stars are signed through atleast 5 years.

These are from 08 but you get the gist.
Florida MarlinsFSN Florida (95)3.2 (+19%)
Florida MarlinsSun Sports*** (35)3.1 (+8%)
Boston Red SoxNESN (130)12.1 (+5%)
Washington NationalsMASN (143)0.8 (+60%)
New York YankeesYES (108)4.5 (+7%)
Los Angeles DodgersFSN Prime Ticket (87)2.0 (+23%)
Philadelphia Phillies CSN (86)5.3 (+16%)

Their are Marlins fans they just don't show up to a football stadium to watch a baseball game. Hopefully a new stadium will change that.

Then you got the Heat with have managed to have more winnig seasons than losing however only have one chanpionship to show for it. I always felt that the Heat would have won a champioship earlier with Zo before he got kidney disease. But they won in 2006 and will be threatning to win for the next six years. Sure tv ratings will go up but what team wouldn't if they just signed Lebron James. Most teams set record ratings for the year when Lebron plays one game again their home team.

All that being said this town will always be a football town. From high school to the NFL people love their football. The Dolphins n Jets are in an arms race. Which I wouldn't worry about we swept them by running the ball. They can sign all the cornerbacks they want it's not going to make a difference against us.

In conclusion the fan base is only getting strong as the teams get older and more stories are passed on from generation to generation.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Well I would not call it one of the best sports cities as are fans are not so great. Very fair weather BUT when a team is winning the fans do show up in very large numbers. What is going on for the Heat is GREAT! And its great not only for the Heat and its fans but the whole city and all the cities sports teams including the Hurricanes. Having these three baseketball players here is just awesome. Miami is now the sports destination, its not Chicago its not LA its NOT NYC! It is Miami and it will show and has been showing. If these three guys and now with 3 decent role players so far play to their potential the Heat will win a number of NBA titles giving some Miami has never seen since the early 70s Dolphins, a winning team over years, yes the heat had their good years 96-00 and the Marlins have won two World Series but no one has run for years and this team will make that happen and even make Miami a basketball town and not a football town.

And the media attention and star power this Heat team will bring will be great. Its going to be a lot of fun to watch. It is also going to be a lot of fun being a fan of a team that is hated by most.
Well said!

(well other than the coCanes that is )

Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 AM

51 posts, read 80,813 times
Why hasn't FIU Golden Panthers picked up any popularity?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Why hasn't FIU Golden Panthers picked up any popularity?
Because their athletic program is relatively young and thus everyone just grew up rooting for someone else. Besides, commuter schools generally don't do well in the "support" department.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM

122 posts, read 181,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
The one team that clearly has the most fan support is the Dolphins. They've been around since the 60's, super bowl title and the perfect season. Their have been generations of Finfans passing down stories and experiences.
Then you got the other sport teams Marlins yr.93, Heat 88 and Panthers 93.
Lets face it not many people care about hockey in South Florida.

The Marlins people want to go to the games but they never keep their palyers. Makes it kinda hard to grow a fan base when as soon as you get a favorite player he's traded. However things are looking up Hanley and J.J. both the all-stars are signed through atleast 5 years.

These are from 08 but you get the gist.
Florida MarlinsFSN Florida (95)3.2 (+19%)
Florida MarlinsSun Sports*** (35)3.1 (+8%)
Boston Red SoxNESN (130)12.1 (+5%)
Washington NationalsMASN (143)0.8 (+60%)
New York YankeesYES (108)4.5 (+7%)
Los Angeles DodgersFSN Prime Ticket (87)2.0 (+23%)
Philadelphia Phillies CSN (86)5.3 (+16%)

Their are Marlins fans they just don't show up to a football stadium to watch a baseball game. Hopefully a new stadium will change that.

Then you got the Heat with have managed to have more winnig seasons than losing however only have one chanpionship to show for it. I always felt that the Heat would have won a champioship earlier with Zo before he got kidney disease. But they won in 2006 and will be threatning to win for the next six years. Sure tv ratings will go up but what team wouldn't if they just signed Lebron James. Most teams set record ratings for the year when Lebron plays one game again their home team.

All that being said this town will always be a football town. From high school to the NFL people love their football. The Dolphins n Jets are in an arms race. Which I wouldn't worry about we swept them by running the ball. They can sign all the cornerbacks they want it's not going to make a difference against us.

In conclusion the fan base is only getting strong as the teams get older and more stories are passed on from generation to generation.
exactly. the recent resurgence of the heat will probably initiate a massive basketball following within the city but miami to its core will forever be a football town. its like a religion down here. i know certain people who breathe, eat, and sleep it. previous comments have stated how miami fans arent very loyal to the teams. partly true. but if there's one team i know individuals rally around it is the hurricanes. they have some of the most die hard fans out of any other sports team in the city besides the dolphins

Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
exactly. the recent resurgence of the heat will probably initiate a massive basketball following within the city but miami to its core will forever be a football town. its like a religion down here. i know certain people who breathe, eat, and sleep it. previous comments have stated how miami fans arent very loyal to the teams. partly true. but if there's one team i know individuals rally around it is the hurricanes. they have some of the most die hard fans out of any other sports team in the city besides the dolphins
They have their true fans, but they certainly don't represent a large segment of the fan base. Support for the Hurricanes sure was different in their hey day than now.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 AM

563 posts, read 1,787,794 times
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Boston area is still the tops. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL... they are having it all the past decade. Boston defines die-hard. From what I've seen in the past, with exception of Dolphins, most of Miami is a band-wagon fans - root for them when they're good, forget about them when they're bad.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Remember, there are other great teams with great players, and we haven't won a single game with the Miami Heat "dream team" yet. OK, Miami will benefit, and I do expect a good season, but we're not to the Finals yet! Is it me, or is "Yes we did" a bit premature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami