Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,203,861 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't recommend a shotgun unless u have some experience with gun shooting, aiming and loading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM

196 posts, read 590,203 times
HPS: i think i was the person that told you that would be an area to buy crack! in any event....i can't tell you anything about weapons (i never even fired, much less owned one) but what i can tell you is to be careful, try to save money (where will you be working? did you get the usher job?) and hopefully you'll be able to move to a better area soon. i know you were planning to move to miami to take care of your mom...does she live nearby? good luck. i'm glad you're getting out of NO since you hated it there....this is a great time to move to miami - you'll miss most of the long hot summer.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:41 PM

361 posts, read 1,088,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricemendo View Post
HPS: i think i was the person that told you that would be an area to buy crack! in any event....i can't tell you anything about weapons (i never even fired, much less owned one) but what i can tell you is to be careful, try to save money (where will you be working? did you get the usher job?) and hopefully you'll be able to move to a better area soon. i know you were planning to move to miami to take care of your mom...does she live nearby? good luck. i'm glad you're getting out of NO since you hated it there....this is a great time to move to miami - you'll miss most of the long hot summer.
Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. lol and yes it was you! haha, but yeah I'm working just as a sales associate for the Target store north of the area, and am going to follow up for a position as a ticket usher for the Miami Heat (AA Arena never called me for a phone interview we had scheduled). I took your advice and waited to bank on getting the apartment right away without checking out the area first, but this was just the most convenient place atm in terms of location/commutes/price. My mother lives up in North Miami Beach, so it's not too far of a stretch, the bus on Biscayne Blvd. shoots straight up to her place. New Orleans was just not a fit for me. I can see why some, select people might enjoy it, but for the goals I have in mind and for the things I want to do with my life, New Orleans is just not the place to be. Too slow in those parts. Thanks for your reply and advice man.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Thanks, will do. Didn't know you could carry a gun in your house without a license, that's good news. I think I will apply for a carrier's permit though as well. Situation is pretty desperate, just trying to work a steady job and pay my way through school. Once things get on the right track I'm out of there.
I dont think you need a license anywhere in the US to have a gun in your home. But some state require you to register guns. Anyway its a good idea to get the permit. Also for simple to shot and use gun I reccomend a revolver like a .38 thats what I have. In the home though semi-auto 9mm. But on person the more simple the better IMO. Not sure how much experience with firearms you have but of course makes sure to take a good amount of training somewhere before carrying one on your person.

You gotta do what you gotta do, you sound like a smart guy im sure you will be fine. Stay safe and enjoy the better parts Miami has to offer.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I dont think you need a license anywhere in the US to have a gun in your home. But some state require you to register guns. Anyway its a good idea to get the permit. Also for simple to shot and use gun I reccomend a revolver like a .38 thats what I have. In the home though semi-auto 9mm. But on person the more simple the better IMO. Not sure how much experience with firearms you have but of course makes sure to take a good amount of training somewhere before carrying one on your person.

You gotta do what you gotta do, you sound like a smart guy im sure you will be fine. Stay safe and enjoy the better parts Miami has to offer.
Great, will keep that in mind. Are there any shooting ranges in Miami these days? Never had much experience with a firearm before to be honest.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Hate to sound like your mother (although I'm more than old enough to be her) - but that is not a very nice neighborhood. When I first moved to Miami in 1971 - as a young single woman - I worked in a legal services office in Liberty City. It was better there back then than today - and I was just there during working hours. Still - it was kind of rough. But I was known back then as a lady in the "hood" who was helping people - so people left me alone. Today I might get caught in some random cross fire <sigh>.

Perhaps you can start this from scratch. Where are you working? How much can you afford to spend on housing? Can you afford to buy a car? Are you handy around a house - which might make you useful to someone looking to rent a distressed property? Do you mind sharing a place with other people?

Note that although I've lived in Florida for a long time - I could never wrap my head around the idea of keeping a gun in my house or carrying a concealed weapon. I'd rather change my lifestyle than do either of those things. Robyn

Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM

242 posts, read 315,890 times
HPS, don't worry about it

I'm interested in taking up shooting, so if you want a buddy to go shooting with, hit me up LOL.

Just keep your wits about you. You're from Chicago so you're no stranger to dodgy areas. It's not like you're moving to Miami from some backwater "have a nice day" "what church do yew go tew" kinda place.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Hate to sound like your mother (although I'm more than old enough to be her) - but that is not a very nice neighborhood. When I first moved to Miami in 1971 - as a young single woman - I worked in a legal services office in Liberty City. It was better there back then than today - and I was just there during working hours. Still - it was kind of rough. But I was known back then as a lady in the "hood" who was helping people - so people left me alone. Today I might get caught in some random cross fire <sigh>.

Perhaps you can start this from scratch. Where are you working? How much can you afford to spend on housing? Can you afford to buy a car? Are you handy around a house - which might make you useful to someone looking to rent a distressed property? Do you mind sharing a place with other people?

Note that although I've lived in Florida for a long time - I could never wrap my head around the idea of keeping a gun in my house or carrying a concealed weapon. I'd rather change my lifestyle than do either of those things. Robyn
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to explore all my options when I finally get there. This was just a quick and easy place to be able to save some money and commute to work for the time being. It was a quick, no credit check place I scraped together at the last minute that was close to work, and it's only on a six month lease, so if I need or have the ability to get out, I can do so quickly. I don't mind sharing an apartment or something along those lines, but I would like to know the person first before I were to move in with them. We'll see what happens, I'm not necessarily nervous, and I am just using this place as a cheap headquarters to further explore my options around Miami.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
HPS, don't worry about it

I'm interested in taking up shooting, so if you want a buddy to go shooting with, hit me up LOL.

Just keep your wits about you. You're from Chicago so you're no stranger to dodgy areas. It's not like you're moving to Miami from some backwater "have a nice day" "what church do yew go tew" kinda place.
lol, might have to do that. never operated a gun before, I guess I can thank our good ol Mayor Daley and his ridiculous hand gun ban for that one. I'm not too nervous, I'm thinkin this is just gonna be more of a temporary kind of deal.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Wish me luck, the only apartment I can seem to find within my price range/commute to work is located near the Vagabond club on Miami Ct. west of the Adrienne Arsht Center. I was told the area is pretty bleak looking, and even a good spot to buy crack rock. It didn't seem that bad when I visited the area, despite people's crazy warnings to stay clear of the area, but then again I'm pretty tamed when it comes to rougher areas. Granted, it was in the day time though. We'll just have to see how it plays out at night time. Well, what can a guy do.
Well you have Humboldt Park in your name so I don't think you should be too culture shocked by rough areas lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami