Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:57 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
So very true.....esp. #12. I've lived here 37 years and can hardly wait to be moving out of Florida.

Why move out of Florida .... just move out of South Florida or even Dade County .... we have friends ( native Miamians ) who moved three years ago to the Stuart / Hutchinson Island area about 140 miles North and they love it ... we also have friends that moved to the west coast just north of Naples and are very happy .... we live in Parkland , previously Weston and love both places ... only get down to Miami to have some fun or to fly out of the airport .. but then we leave .

You should not censor the entire state of Florida which is huge over the sins of Miami .. go up to the panhandle .. Panama City , Destin .. check out the NW , Jacksonville , Ponte Vedra , St . Augustine .. West Coast .. Sarasota , Tampa .. Dunedin ... all great places with terrific people and nothing like Miami in any way .. different culture , even weather ... I think Miami is a great place to party , people watch and vacation .. but quality of life is another story and I really beleive that you do not have to leave Florida to find it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I have visited other parts of Florida and they are lovely, beautiful, much more my style, but another thing.....I want to move out of hurricane-land. I was here (Homestead) during Hurricane Andrew,, here in 2005 when we were hit by 4 hurricanes in one summer - I am bothered by the stress of it all. I visited Port St. Joe last summer - a beautiful, quiet spot on the "forgotten coast". You are absolutely right, Rock Newman, you don't have to leave Florida to find a wonderful place to live.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I have visited other parts of Florida and they are lovely, beautiful, much more my style, but another thing.....I want to move out of hurricane-land. I was here (Homestead) during Hurricane Andrew,, here in 2005 when we were hit by 4 hurricanes in one summer - I am bothered by the stress of it all. I visited Port St. Joe last summer - a beautiful, quiet spot on the "forgotten coast". You are absolutely right, Rock Newman, you don't have to leave Florida to find a wonderful place to live.
Agree with you 100% .... but in reality just about all places in our great country have some sort of natural disaster possibility ... be they earthquakes , flash fires , flooding or snow storms ... as bad as hurricanes are .. you can always prepare for them and then leave ... I used to live in Valencia , California ... a great area but the possibility of fire and earthquakes was always present and the latter you cannot prepare for .. by the way for some reason NE Fla seems to be hurricane immune .. I do not recall one hitting the Jacksonville , Ponte Vedra , St. Augustine or Daytona areas in at least forty years ?

Good luck to you

Old 12-18-2010, 11:15 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Unfortunately that's how it is in this country.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:08 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
I agree. Not all of Florida is like Miami. Drive 60 miles north and it's different.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I have lived here for three years now- no hurricanes yet! Not a lot of friends either, but I am busy with work, school, yoga. I don't go out to bars and clubs much-- I don't know how anyone can afford to go out drinking here except for a beer once in awhile. Maybe everyone here has more money than me. It seems like it...I know people who live in fancy places, have nice new cars, go to the spa, buy new clothes all the time, and want to go out to the bars on the weekends. I just don't get it. My luxury is my gym membership. That is it.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
I think it's more difficult for woman, especially women in MIA.....I'm a nursing student, grew up here, lived in Miami Beach last 7 years....and it doesn't get any easier, i find myself google-ing " find friends" more often these days....my man has his crew, same crew since "back in da day", same with my ex and boyfriends of other girls I've asked around.....I hope I don't come off as a lezbian (no offense) but I wish I could find at least one chic in this f#$king town that isn't some bar fly, cocaine driven, fake-ass, superficial loser....I'm looking for a smart, motivated, chill girl to kick it with from time to time, like my highschool days, just watching movies, going out for a beer or burger, maybe even actually find a chic that surfs too and is into water sports and skateboards, like me.....any way i guess what i'm trying to say is, I feel you girl, right now my dog really IS my best friend

Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjasoul View Post
I think it's more difficult for woman, especially women in MIA.....I'm a nursing student, grew up here, lived in Miami Beach last 7 years....and it doesn't get any easier, i find myself google-ing " find friends" more often these days....my man has his crew, same crew since "back in da day", same with my ex and boyfriends of other girls I've asked around.....I hope I don't come off as a lezbian (no offense) but I wish I could find at least one chic in this f#$king town that isn't some bar fly, cocaine driven, fake-ass, superficial loser....I'm looking for a smart, motivated, chill girl to kick it with from time to time, like my highschool days, just watching movies, going out for a beer or burger, maybe even actually find a chic that surfs too and is into water sports and skateboards, like me.....any way i guess what i'm trying to say is, I feel you girl, right now my dog really IS my best friend
meetup.com wannado
WANNA DO OUTDOORS (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
after reading this forum for a couple months now, i'm observing that people constantly miss one of the most pertinent points about the main parts of Miami ..... it's a transient, tourism area.

the fact is that ANY community that's a heavy tourist area, means it will be a transient community, and therefore, less likely than 'traditional' america, to have people with 'roots' in the area - this dynamic is the same in Waikiki, Atlantic City, Martha's Vineyard, Vegas -- any city where tourism is a major factor is going to be more of a transient community.... those who have lived there all their lives will have strong community ties, a crew they've known forever, and will generally tend to stick to those - they're not taking chances with the droves of newcomers who stay a short while and don't become a real part of their community. therefore, newcomers will have to work harder and be there longer, to make real friends and feel like they're putting down roots in the area. the general population in ANY tourism-related community is so fly-by-night, it's just not a dynamic conducive to making true friends the way it is in traditional american cities - where there is not the constant influx/outflux of visitors and all the transient types of jobs that go along with serving those visitors.... people think they want to move there, so they go, and take, say, a bartending or waiter job for 6 months, and then decide to move on. the result of this is that local people become much more guarded about whom THEY accept into their circle of friends - cause in their experience, people they make friends with often just up and leave. so they're gonna be less open to all new people - that's neither good or bad - it's just how human behavior works. when i moved to Hawaii i was advised of this dynamic; tourists there are welcomed with open arms, but MOVE there and you get the cold shoulder for a good year - until local folks can trust that you're gonna stay and be a real part of the community... as opposed to just sucking up what they got and moving on. but because i was given fair warning, i was able to relax and not take it personally, knowing that it was just a matter of time til i was fully accepted into the community... and eventually I was; i spent 10 years there and loved it.

so if ppl could realize and understand how tourism affects a community over the long term, i think they'd be a lot less distressed when they get that this is so NOT about "miami" specifically - it's the nature of the beast in ANY heavily-touristed area. Either stick it out until you're well accepted, or move outside of the most heavily tourist part, where there's a lot more opportunities for 'real' jobs, friendships, and relationships.

Last edited by catt6; 09-11-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
U r talking about Miami Beach, the rest of the county is not touristic at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami