Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,566 times

Advertisements

Most of the people in this thread seem to be the ones to have the "Me" syndrome. Listen my autistic friends; Miami is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I agree the traffic is hideous, good paying jobs are scarce, the city has grown beyond the once sleepy town it used to be but it is still a part of America. I agree that the people are the rudest in the world. I am currently moving to Central Florida because I am tired of feeling as if I am on opium everyday. I tried to hold the Fort but the levies broke. There is no middle class in the city because they have all left. If I were rich, I would stay but the funds have run out. Wait for a category 5 hurricane and the same people you might not like will move into a town near you. If you’re rich Miami is definitely a city for you but if you are like the guy that moved to Arkansas the city is not for you. It is not a bad city if you do not have the "Me" syndrome. I went to Central Florida for a week to visit and get a place. When I got back I was frustrated because the traffic was horrible in Miami (I had lost my patience). If the people that visit Miami or live in Miami have a little bit of more patience the city will not be as bad as it is made out to be. Arkansas is not all that great. They only have one company for cable, one for your phone service, and one for your internet connection. At least in Miami you can pick and choose the services that you like. When you come down to Miami enjoy it and have fun because there is plenty to do.

Last edited by mrodr001; 07-01-2007 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 PM

90 posts, read 352,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodr001 View Post
Most of the people in this thread seem to be the ones to have the "Me" syndrome. Listen my autistic friends; Miami is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I agree the traffic is hideous, good paying jobs are scarce, the city has grown beyond the once sleepy town it used to be but it is still a part of America. I agree that the people are the rudest in the world. I am currently moving to Central Florida because I am tired of feeling as if I am on opium everyday. I tried to hold the Fort but the levies broke. There is no middle class in the city because they have all left. If I were rich, I would stay but the funds have run out. Wait for a category 5 hurricane and the same people you might not like will move into a town near you. If you’re rich Miami is definitely a city for you but if you are like the guy that moved to Arkansas the city is not for you. It is not a bad city if you do not have the "Me" syndrome. I went to Central Florida for a week to visit and get a place. When I got back I was frustrated because the traffic was horrible in Miami (I had lost my patience). If the people that visit Miami or live in Miami have a little bit of more patience the city will not be as bad as it is made out to be. Arkansas is not all that great. They only have one company for cable, one for your phone service, and one for your internet connection. At least in Miami you can pick and choose the services that you like. When you come down to Miami enjoy it and have fun because there is plenty to do.
Wow! Are you way off! First of all, how do you know what my financial situation is? How many electric companies do you have? One? We also have several to choose from depending on the area you live in and we also share the cost of generating electricity with 3 other states. So our bills are much less than FPL's down there. We also dont pay for the all the hurricane fees that are caused by FPL's weak infrastructure. And I guarantee you I get much better customer service when I call my utilities than calling Bell South or FPL. So please dont compare your $200 electric bill to my $50 bill. You have again proved my point about the usual people in denial down there. You probably never even heard of Arkansas before my post but choose to speak from misconceptions.

I lived in Florida for 36 years. How long have you lived in Arkansas?

Thank you.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 PM

44 posts, read 114,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston_in_the_Pines View Post
I can't stand it here: congestion, rudeness, lack of speaking-the-English, etc. When I was a kid, I would come visit my grandparents down here from Michigan (circa 1980) and it was a great place. Sure it had it's bad areas but they were contained to those areas. Now, the scourge has spread to all areas. I went up to Lauderhill to get my DL renewed. Holy. Cr@p. I cannot get over how far that area has sunk since the 1980's. Forget Dade altogether. I work near the airport and it's such a cesspool, it's almost a joke. If I could just sell my overpriced house, I'd be outta here
I work by the airport too and the area is a cesspool indeed. All those offices by Blue Lagoon Drive - absolutely nothing there - a wasteland at its best. As for the residential areas around there, those places are nasty, particularly Flagler & 7th Street.

I'm glad that people who post here are realists and are not blinded by their ignorance. In most forums, you'd get your head ripped off for saying anything remotely bad about Miami. At least here, the truth comes out as there are people willing to tell it.

Miami is a bad place to live. No, it's not the worst place to live in the world (or even the US), but it's about as far from being a paradise as you can get. As for me, I can't wait to get out, for the sake of my sanity. The majority of the people here are quite simply, TOXIC.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
"The majority of the people here are quite simply, TOXIC."

if youre working around the blue lagoon drive area that is precisely the opinion most people would have. i know of some particularly toxic people in those buildings there.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 AM

184 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lakes View Post
WOW! I have been browsing this forum for several months now and had not come across a thread that has hit home as much as Sergio's.

I was born and raised in Miami. When my husband and I got married several years ago, we comtemplated moving somewhere else. Even then you could get more for your money in other Florida cities. But we decided against it, opting to stay close to family, typical Hispanic mentality! I grew up in Miami, adjusting to traffic, congestion, long waits everywhere I went...I thought I could live with it. Whenever I would travel, I always thought nothing compared to Miami. And when I returned was glad to finally be back.

Recently I have been torn by the decision to move somewhere else. At first I couldn't imagine living without those things I have grown so accustomed to...espresso coffee at every corner, take-out food of every nationality, the beautiful people from so many different places...But we have put up our home for sale and are actively looking for somewhere else to live, realizing that although sacrifices need to be made, the pros of moving simply outweigh the cons.

I work in sales. Every day I am floored by the lack of customer service and rudeness in people. My husband and I have accepted the fact that this is no longer the place we grew up in. Even the neighborhoods where we grew up in don't look the same anymore. Unfortunately, there is really nothing here we want to pass on to our children. We have looked for homes in other places in Florida and you don't even need to travel too far to notice the difference, from the driving and traffic (or lack of) to the service at restaurants and stores.

It's interesting to see people's expressions when I tell them we're moving. I don't think it's so much because they're in denial of where they live. It's just that everyone's different and everyone has a different tolerance level. Some people don't like change...like people that are miserable at work but do nothing to find another one. Money is also a big factor. This is paradise if you have the money. We're not doing too bad here but realize we can do a lot more with it somewhere else.
Liked your post better than Sergio's .... so true your comments are excellent , although I was born and raised in Northern Florida , I spent many summers in Miami with family and friends ... yes I could see how it would be difficult breaking away from some of the nostalgia and memories down here , but as you say it is not the same city . I really , truly feel that the Hispanic immigrants that have immigrated here ( many illegally ) in the last 10 - 15 years have really hurt the city as they are of a different socio-economic status than the Cuban Americans and South Americans who have been here for generations and were majority hard working , family oriented and educated . I find it odd that my many second and even third generation Hispanic American friends in Miami and even areas of Broward have either left or are looking to leave the area for many of the same reasons some "white americans " have left as well . There are areas of Dade County that are beautiful and that I will always have fond memories of myself , but the ghetto culture that has enveloped many of Miami's Hispanic youth especially is disgusting and make me not want to set foot South of Pembroke Pines . I have friends that attended the University of Florida with me back in the late 1980's and then returned to Miami now many of these people are looking to move either to other parts of Florida or Georgia or the Carolina's ... it aint just
"white flight " anymore .

Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodr001 View Post
Most of the people in this thread seem to be the ones to have the "Me" syndrome. Listen my autistic friends; Miami is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Well then how do you explain the Miami Stats on City-Data?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times
Default SW FL is also no better

[quote=CiXeL;973051
living here you also have at least one event a week that undermines your faith in humanity.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, CiXeL, and it is at least once a week - - more if you go out among the general public on a regular basis . . . and no amount of warm sunny days, palm trees, beachfront, sand, nature, or positive attitude makes up for it or provides shelter from it.

I also sympathize with the original poster of this thread. Scarier yet is the fact that those sorts of incidents are not isolated nor are they bad luck or just some kind of fluke. They are quite regular occurrences and cannot be avoided if you leave your home.

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 07-02-2007 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,050 times
I've been trying to get out of South Florida for years. Unfortunately, my line of work keeps me here. The temperate climate does not make up for the rudeness and obnoxious people. Yeah, and I almost forgot the crazies! Have you ever noticed that, on all the real life crime shows, most of the wackos end up in Florida! It's uncanny.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,050 times
My family were among the founders of Wauchula, Florida. The difference between there and Miami is the difference between night and day. I too resent the implications that South Florida is representative of the entire state. It is NOT!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 AM

184 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csoutherland View Post
My family were among the founders of Wauchula, Florida. The difference between there and Miami is the difference between night and day. I too resent the implications that South Florida is representative of the entire state. It is NOT!!!!
I am with you on that one ... spent some time in Destin and Panama City Beach last summer with my family ... it was great , people were nice and it felt like another world . There are still many places in Florida that provide a nice living standard . Were is Wauchula ... is it near Orlando ?

Just curious ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami