Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM

43 posts, read 70,568 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been brought up before in a thread, but I was wondering how easy it is to make friends/meet people in Miami. I just talked to my friend, who moved from Chicago to Southern California, and is ready to move back to Chicago primarily due to the inability to meet people around the same age. I was looking to potentially move from Chicago down to South Florida in the summer of 2013, so I am doing some preliminary research. I will be 27 in 2013. Do you think it would be tough to live there in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1024 View Post
I don't know if this has been brought up before in a thread, but I was wondering how easy it is to make friends/meet people in Miami. I just talked to my friend, who moved from Chicago to Southern California, and is ready to move back to Chicago primarily due to the inability to meet people around the same age. I was looking to potentially move from Chicago down to South Florida in the summer of 2013, so I am doing some preliminary research. I will be 27 in 2013. Do you think it would be tough to live there in this situation?
I personally found it very difficult to make friends (even acquaintances) in Miami. Part of the reason is that I never really fit in, due to my personality type & interests being a poor match. It would help if you were to tell us a little more about yourself, i.e. your interests, field of work and how comfortable you would be living in a city where many people are bilingual and where English isn't necessarily their first language.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:27 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
Blue Blue Blue opened a thread about this and we talked for like 9 pages. Overall, we never really got to answer his questions.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM

43 posts, read 70,568 times
I am in the field of accounting, would not be uncomfortable where Spanish is spoken frequently (I plan on learning Spanish next year). I am very active and like to do many outdoor activities, so the weather would definitely be a plus. I just feel that I would like to at least try it, so I have no regrets in the future. I could always move back to Chicago if it doesn't work out.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
I am in the field of accounting, would not be uncomfortable where Spanish is spoken frequently (I plan on learning Spanish next year). I am very active and like to do many outdoor activities, so the weather would definitely be a plus. I just feel that I would like to at least try it, so I have no regrets in the future. I could always move back to Chicago if it doesn't work out.
Then give it a shot. It sounds like you'll lose nothing by trying it out and no ties (kids, mortgage, etc). I suggest visiting Miami at length first. Go off te beaten path - go to grocery stores, drive around during rush hour, go where locals go, rather than stick to South Beach.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM

358 posts, read 711,277 times
Showing up in a city alone and trying to meet people is a challenge most everywhere. Sure, it's a little easier in a few places but those are the exceptions. Try to show up when the weather is cooler, volunteer, work, get involved and maybe something will catch.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,847 times
I would say visit for a week. I moved down here2 years ago and still struggling to make friends. I am a people person and it is very hard to make friends down here. In NC my friends are Asians, Indians, Caucasian, African American. I can't wait to move back. This is just me...

Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
Miamians tend to have an inferiority complex and thus act superior or look down at others to feel better for themselves, but they don't know it. There is a market feeding on the wants of these individuals, and it grows bigger. It's time to get rid of it and work for a much better tomorrow. They judge everything as akward or unfamiliar to them. As a result they can't develop any sort friendship that easily, because they think they are being judged, just as they judge others... the guilt is killing them inside, but again, they can't see that. Inferiors as they are, they won't develop themselves in different areas of life that are not their own. Miamians can't create, as they behave as kings who have to be served - "let others be innovative and creative for us, we'll just work our way up to pay for whatever creation there is to satisfy our perversion". They think only for themselves and for the benefit of their own kind. As selfish as it is, this destructive thought is the reason why they are still down there in the bottom line of everything

Proverbs 13: 145

Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
I am VERY familiar with Chicago. My wife is from there, and it is one of my favorite cities. With that said, are the people in Miami as friendly as they are in Chicago, NO. However, its not fire and brimstone either. People when they are in their cars can be total idiots. However one on one they are not bad at all. I am at a lot of events down here and I have never had issues of speaking with people etc. It might be hard to find people that like what you like but that can be anywhere. As long as you don't come here expecting Miami to be like Chicago I think you will be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: