Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 PM

98 posts, read 307,082 times

Advertisements

I am basically trapped here until the market rebounds (like so many of us). But I still wanted to formulate a long range escape plan. I knew wanted to stay in the Central Fla area due to family and friends. SoFla is obviously out and I spent enough of my life in Tampa to know it's turning into SoFla II and I certainly don't want to deal with the soccer mom's in Dr Phillips.

So where to go....Ah! I found a great house in a terrific neighborhood on a golf course in Melbourne. House is twice the size, price and taxes are half as much. Town is small but pleasant. Beach is close. Traffic is moderate. So I did the most fiscally irresponsible thing I could think of and bought it Phase I complete. Phase II beg and plead for someone to at least let me break even and sell the PPines home. Phase III job but if I have to I'll babysit or something lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 218,934 times
Congrats on getting started!!! I'm not planning on leaving b/c I actually like it here but have to say kudos to you for doing something about the situation!

Some people on here should follow on your footsteps...

Good luck with the sale of your current house!!! As for Melbourne, I've been there to the beach a few times and it's pretty nice. Not ideal for young people b/c it's small but nice nonetheless.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
my plan was i moved out of my apt and moved to tampa....its 300% better and completely different than sofla....doesnt even remotely resemble sofla here...its got a real southern feel, kinda redneck in spots and almost entirely anglo/english speaking...its the USA here....its great

Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
my plan was i moved out of my apt and moved to tampa....its 300% better and completely different than sofla....doesnt even remotely resemble sofla here...its got a real southern feel, kinda redneck in spots and almost entirely anglo/english speaking...its the USA here....its great
Hispanic or Latino (of any race)-21.4% Hillsborough County
Hispanic or Latino (of any race)-22.1% Broward County

It's all in your mind. Unless of course you live in Pasco County.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Hispanic or Latino (of any race)-21.4% Hillsborough County
Hispanic or Latino (of any race)-22.1% Broward County

It's all in your mind. Unless of course you live in Pasco County.

those numbers are a joke....broward is like 99% everything but anglo, period...not saying thats bad or good but thats what it is and i could care less what numbers u pull off some website...ive lived there and everyone i know there is saying the same thing.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Hillsborough County, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

I would tend to think that the census is at least fairly accurate. But if you are enjoying Tampa and prefer that type of envrionment, and your friends can not wait to leave I am very happy for you and wish the best for your friends.

And yes, Hillsborough County was still a white majority county, while Broward fell to 49.9 percent non hispanic White, meaning that whites are just barley outnumbered. To tell you the truth, thats exactly what it feels like in my daily activities.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
those numbers are a joke....broward is like 99% everything but anglo, period...not saying thats bad or good but thats what it is and i could care less what numbers u pull off some website...ive lived there and everyone i know there is saying the same thing.
Who cares , why is this important , is this the proper venue for this argument ?

This entire country will be approximately 50% Hispanic origen in the next twenty years , even if the borders were closed today and not a single immigrant was allowed in ( probably not a bad idea ) due to the low birth rates among "White Americans " and higher birth rates among Hispanics and other ethnic groups . Deal with it , maybe even learn some Spanish ( I have )
or move to Montana or North Dakota . Even the Carolina's which seem to be a panacea for many "White Flighters " in South Florida has seen huge increases in their Hispanic populations ... I was just in Raleigh recently and that is causing some major concern among the local folk ... there are areas in and around Raleigh and Charlotte with large Hispanic populations and growing due to lower living costs than South Florida . It ain't happening only down here ... you just notice it more due to the proximity of South Florida to Latin America .

Last edited by Musclehead; 07-04-2007 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-04-2007, 01:25 PM

I immediately notice a demographic difference when I leave So Fla and even go into Orlando or Tampa. The census number probably does not count homes in Dade and Broward where 47 people live in it.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston_in_the_Pines View Post
I immediately notice a demographic difference when I leave So Fla and even go into Orlando or Tampa. The census number probably does not count homes in Dade and Broward where 47 people live in it.
Those homes in Broward are usually full of illegals and HOA's tend to find out about them and evict. We had one in my complex...for a week. They got evicted. In Dade, they stick around, and you are absolutely right.
I can not even believe people on here look at ORLANDO as a nirvana. That place has a completely new set of people every year. So transient. Even ruder people then Broward in your day to day life. Nobody gets to know each other because of how transient it is. Crime is so bad, the guardian angels are there and FBI is coming to investigate. I lived there for several years, and I actually found it to be BETTER here. All kinds of gangs, from MS-13 to neo nazi gangs, were all over Orlando. Job market is even weaker than here, wages are even lower, but it's not that much cheaper. The roads don't work at all, they are just a constant parking lot that starts to move at around 10 at night, unless you are into toll roads that take you WAY out of your way.At least in Broward, the toll roads are relevant, and the highways move on Sunday afternoon! If Broward is not America and Orlando is, then I guess America is in really bad shape.

P.S-White does not lead to "civility". Ever been to New Port Richey/ Port Richey area? 90 percent white, and a freaking disgusting crime filled mess with creepy people. It is about poverty and/or attitude (Which I admit can sink pretty low down here), not race. It seems interesting that the percentage of residents below poverty in Browrad slipped between 2000 and 2005 according to he census numbers (Which may or may not be accurate, but regardless bucking the national trend of increasing poverty). At least we don't have 10 sex offenders to 1 in Broward like the Tampa and Orlando areas do.
Tampa is still a pretty nice place, and staying (relatively) affordable. If you hate it here, try Tampa. Good luck finding good public schools for your kids, though. At least we have like four good districts here. Four is better than none!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM

I am pleased with my choice of Melbourne. Certainly it's not without its issues but its light years better than South Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami