Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM

20 posts, read 43,458 times

Advertisements

Wow, that's good news to hear!

Do you live right in downtown and in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM

119 posts, read 313,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMan1209 View Post
Wow, that's good news to hear!

Do you live right in downtown and in a safe area?

I would stay away from Downtown on the north side of the river pal

NE 8th st is all bums I used to work in the CitiGroup building in banking and I would have to walk to my car on NE 6th it was so ghetto... if you want to really be in an " Urban" looking place with our kind of people stick to Brickell Ave ....

There are a lot of bums on the northside of the river.....

I mean on NE 8th st you will encounter like 200 just laying on the sidewalk and that is in the middle of downtown...

Brickell is where you want to be if it you want those huge skyscrapers and nice White Collar people .... stay away from SOBE and D/T bc they are just ghetto ..... honestly SOBE is the worst yuck...

koolest lifestyle places in Miami are Brickell AVE and Sunny Isles Bch.... you can feel like Trump there....
the other part of downtown north of the river is like a Peruvian Detroit

Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
huge skyscrapers? Is someone paying u to advertise Brickell? hehheheh

I'm sorry but Sunny Isles can't beat SoBe, in terms of excitement that is.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 AM

So I guess Brickell is my best bet if I want all of that. I don't mind having 2-3 roommates, so hopefully there are others looking in that area too.

I'm used to being around young professionals my age and would like to keep that kind of lifestyle no matter what part of Florida or the country I live.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM

119 posts, read 313,097 times
Quote:
So I guess Brickell is my best bet if I want all of that. I don't mind having 2-3 roommates, so hopefully there are others looking in that area too.

I'm used to being around young professionals my age and would like to keep that kind of lifestyle no matter what part of Florida or the country I live.

yea be very careful who you choose people here are crazy

Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Definitely.

Although I suppose young professionals who can afford to live in Brickell have less of a chance of being psycho, right?!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,229 times
If you want a "nicer" place in SoBe or Brickell you're probably looking at $1500 per month and up. This would be a relatively small 1-br with limited or no view, but in a safer/nicer building. For $1000 you should be able to get something mid-beach, or interior South Beach in a less desirable building.

I would not recommend a roommate right away until you know the people you're sharing with. I do recommend living closer to your place of work, rather than further.

Whether $42k is enough depends on your lifestyle. For anyone careful with the budget, it should be. You just can't live the tourist lifestyle on that.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Appreciated advice.

How do all of these waitresses/waiters, bartenders, hotel staffers and other service industry people afford to live in SoBe? Or do they?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM

31 posts, read 71,464 times
Quote:
Appreciated advice.

How do all of these waitresses/waiters, bartenders, hotel staffers and other service industry people afford to live in SoBe? Or do they?
Most of the waiters and bartenders make pretty good money. The majority of them have a good amount of work because most people dont pay their mortgages but still go out to eat and drink. Also most of them live in areas that are cheaper now than just last year. South Beach has gone down on price so much because the economy is pretty bad. Brickell also is cheaper because 90% of the buildings are empty and they are desperate to get people to live in areas that were very ghetto a few years ago. I do say to watch out for the association fees that will come with Downtown/Brickell areas because they can be more than the rent or mortgage. Making $42k should be enough to get by on but depending on your spending habits you would have to be careful at first. I work with people that spend a portion of their salaries on just eating lunch out because they either have no choice or they choose to go with the crowd. Good Luck

Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Hmm...I'm the type of person who isn't looking to "just get by." It seems like this would be the case if I lived in Miami.

I make less at my current position (which is also a good marketing gig), but given where I live, am still able to have some fun on the weekends (food, drinks, beach, etc.) and have some cash to save each month.

I guess I'd rather live in a decent area, have fun and still save, than live in an AWESOME area but be sucked down by the high cost of living.

Decisions...decisions...

BTW, I live in a pretty nice place now on the Gulf Coast for a little over $500/month. If only there weren't so many old people in SW Florida!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami