Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Nicely sad, I just got back from a trip to Manhatten, the people there are much more friendly and kind to one another. Got back to Miami and with in 30 min, tried to merge into a lane and a guy in a jeep cherokee wouldn't let us in, almost forcing us to hit a wall. Just reminds me why we want to leave Miami.

You know people on here that tell postives only on here truely are giving those that are thinking about moving to South Florida a false impression. People like Cixel (who are banned now) are the ones that were trying to tell the real truth about what it is really like in South Florida.
First of all, just like people find Miami to be on vacation, you get that impression of "Manhatten" (Manhattan)being a friendly place on vacation. Second of all, the truth has been exposed, now do something about it! Third of all, guys in Jeep Cherokees that won't let you turn really do exist in every city, maybe more so in Miami, but you must be totally blind to say that they drive better in Manhattan. Those cabbies are ****in crazy! Don't get me wrong, New York is a world class city, and Miami is not(I admit Miami does suck), but your argument against Miami is not very strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
Quote:
You know people on here that tell postives only on here truely are giving those that are thinking about moving to South Florida a false impression. People like Cixel (who are banned now) are the ones that were trying to tell the real truth about what it is really like in South Florida.
I haven't even seen anyone yet that tells positives only. I keep hearing about these "realtors" or whomever, but haven't seen even one.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
My boss is the one who designed Blue. It was the crowning achievement of his career and the beginning of his success in Miami. Too bad it was built in such a bad neighborhood and so expensive for us locals to afford.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 PM

44 posts, read 218,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFLNC View Post
My boss is the one who designed Blue. It was the crowning achievement of his career and the beginning of his success in Miami. Too bad it was built in such a bad neighborhood and so expensive for us locals to afford.
Hey that's pretty cool!!!! I love the building...too bad the area is shady. Sounds like you have a very talented boss!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
First of all, just like people find Miami to be on vacation, you get that impression of "Manhatten" (Manhattan)being a friendly place on vacation. Second of all, the truth has been exposed, now do something about it! Third of all, guys in Jeep Cherokees that won't let you turn really do exist in every city, maybe more so in Miami, but you must be totally blind to say that they drive better in Manhattan. Those cabbies are ****in crazy! Don't get me wrong, New York is a world class city, and Miami is not(I admit Miami does suck), but your argument against Miami is not very strong.
First i wasn't on vacation, I wish I was...I shopped were the locals did their grocery shopping and went to the local hardware store, etc...I actually didn't go to any of the touristy areas except for central park. I see Manhatten kind of like South Beach for Miami...If you live on South Beach you will have a different view of South Florida. So people living in Manhatten will have a different view of NY than people living in the bouroughs of course. Oh I now those cabbies drive aweful, but for some reason I feel safer driving with them, I guess I feel their driving skills are much better than the idiots down here, since they drive everyday practically.

My examples with the Jeep was with in 30 minutes of getting of the plane, I had a bad experience, not a day, or two days, 30 MINUTES
I am not trying to make an arguement against Miami, just an example...I don't need to argue that Miami sucks, Miami shows its true colors on its own.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
First i wasn't on vacation, I wish I was...I shopped were the locals did their grocery shopping and went to the local hardware store, etc...I actually didn't go to any of the touristy areas except for central park. I see Manhatten kind of like South Beach for Miami...If you live on South Beach you will have a different view of South Florida. So people living in Manhatten will have a different view of NY than people living in the bouroughs of course. Oh I now those cabbies drive aweful, but for some reason I feel safer driving with them, I guess I feel their driving skills are much better than the idiots down here, since they drive everyday practically.

My examples with the Jeep was with in 30 minutes of getting of the plane, I had a bad experience, not a day, or two days, 30 MINUTES
I am not trying to make an arguement against Miami, just an example...I don't need to argue that Miami sucks, Miami shows its true colors on its own.
What parts of Manhattan did you visit? Just curious. Manhattan is world class, I can not deny it,and Miami is not, but there are many slums in Manhattan that can rank among the worst in the United States.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbizz View Post
Developers can call the area swanky or whatever they want, but the area around the charter club is a dump. always has been. Just like the area north of the palmetto and 57ave/165 st, That area is Carol City now its called Miami Lakes
Carol City is soooooooo different from Miami Lakes. I don't want to sound racist or put any body down, but Carol City is mainly poor and full of crime. Miami Lakes is a small piece of heaven wedge between Opa-Locka, Hialeah and Carol City. ML is very expensive and its homes are perfectly manicure, totally opposite to CC.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
All of the positive rose colored comments that are written on here...are examples of what biased (realtors and investors) feed into buyers from out of the area. They present a picture of paradise that is no realer than a postcard. The way the forum reads, negativity and blind positivism, is real. Miami is extreme and out posts represent how people feel in the community. Just like in the real community when people (usually newbies or relos or investers) over promote the area as something that the natives know it not to be, we stand up and give out life long experience. But then there is always the nebie who has lived here for under five years and loves it only because it is cheaper than NYC, has warm water and palm trees. The rest doesn't matter because they have already made money somewhere else...and do not have to live like a local lifeong resident.

People are unhappy everywhere, but to a much higher dregree in Miami. Things are not so simplistic as to just move as you tell me to do. Contracts exisists, jobs, family issues and ties keep you in a place. Just because I can admit to Miami's problems does not mean i hate it. I like Miami, I just hate many things about it and my fellow residents. It has really changed recently, but I don't agree with the philosophy of packing up and moving when things change. That kind of mentality is responsible for white flight and poverty in many cities. Instead I stay here, deal, try to improve by planting trees in my neighborhood, volunteering, organizing a crime watch and being a vigilant neighbor. Even with all of that, life is not perfect. I will not ignore the reality of life here just because some people are still in the honeymoon phase. If you love Miami, I am glad for you. That monumental optimisim is good and will serve you well. But do not "call people out" for saying it like it is...
Chelito, I congratulate you on your continuos fight to make Miami a better place to live. I too tried my best to improve my life and the life of others in the Magic City. I was vigilant and called the cops many times, when I heard or saw something wrong. Unfortunately, Miami is a city where the criminal is usually right, and I lost faith on our cops and elected officials. I now go with the flow. I don't fight it any more. I try to live my own life, on a bubble. Good luck and I hope you are more succesful than me.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at7815 View Post
Hey that's pretty cool!!!! I love the building...too bad the area is shady. Sounds like you have a very talented boss!
Thanks, he is actually very talented. The problem with Miami is that most developers just want to make a quick buck, so we get ugly looking buildings in the city. One developer, which name I will not mention, has pay for the construction of many new towers in downtown and Brickell, but all of these buildings are grotesque, cheap is usually ugly. As much as our skyline is growing, it lacks beauty or style. But that's only my opinion.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 PM

44 posts, read 114,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFLNC View Post
Thanks, he is actually very talented. The problem with Miami is that most developers just want to make a quick buck, so we get ugly looking buildings in the city. One developer, which name I will not mention, has pay for the construction of many new towers in downtown and Brickell, but all of these buildings are grotesque, cheap is usually ugly. As much as our skyline is growing, it lacks beauty or style. But that's only my opinion.
You hit the nail right on the head there. I too feel that our skyline lacks beauty, style and originality. I am a big fan of skyscrapers, but I don’t see anything great being built in Miami, despite the plethora of construction going on and crane after crane after crane. To me, a great skyline consists of not only tall buildings, but buildings with innovative and aesthetically pleasing designs – a mixture of both commercial and residential skyscrapers is always good. Many US cities have great skylines, particularly obvious ones such as NY, San Francisco and Chicago, but also cities like Seattle, Houston, Boston and Los Angeles. However, Miami’s skyline consists of condo after condo after condo and most of these condos look the same and many simply look cheap and tacky (why anyone with half a brain would want to pay +$750k for one of these “holes in the wall” is beyond me).

Although it’s not the tallest, Miami’s nicest skyscraper by far is the Espiritu Santo Plaza in Brickell. I only wish that there were more beautiful and innovative designs like that, because a city that wants to be a top player has a skyline dominated by half empty condos and tacky 80’s office buildings. It seems that development in Miami is unplanned and overbuilding is rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami