Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 AM

250 posts, read 696,491 times

Advertisements

The rail has need to go to the airport forever... The real waste of money is the Marlins stadium and that underground tunnel to the port (wasted billions!!!). But they will create construction as well as other jobs. Even though I think a French company got the tunnel build bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I've been reading about how the new governors of WI and OH are pledging to kill high speed rail projects in their states. In WI, $810 million in stimulus funds would pay for the entire project and in OH, $400 million was allocated.

The articles state if the projects are killed the funding would go back to the government for distribution elsewhere.

Obviously the Orlando to Miami high speed rail is too expensive (a price tag of $8 billion) and the Tampa to Orlando line needs $300 million more.

If Tampa to Orlando got the additional $300 million needed to pay for their line that still leaves $910 million for other projects.

I'm wondering if the funds are only allowed to be used for high speed rail or whether other rail projects are also acceptable.

If other projects are acceptable, I'm wondering if a project like Baylink would be eligible.
If the new Governors in WI & OH kill their high speed rail projects then that would free up those money for other high speed rail projects in other states.
Those Fed dollars that are already allocated can only be used for high speed rail.This also depends if Florida doesn't join WI & OH because Rick Scott said he was against high speed rail in Florida and may very well kill the project even though the Feds have given Florida over $2 billion dollars already.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
If the new Governors in WI & OH kill their high speed rail projects then that would free up those money for other high speed rail projects in other states.
Those Fed dollars that are already allocated can only be used for high speed rail.This also depends if Florida doesn't join WI & OH because Rick Scott said he was against high speed rail in Florida and may very well kill the project even though the Feds have given Florida over $2 billion dollars already.
I think that part I bolded is a good reason to think Florida won't be getting the WI/OH funds regardless of what Scott thinks.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Okay, I knew it was for rail only, but didn't know it had to specifically be used for high speed rail. Such a shame.

I don't think Scott will kill the Tampa to Orlando project, it's just hot air.

I know Cuomo asked for the rejected funds already, as did the Gov. of IL. Those rejecting these funds will seriously regret it, IMO.

There's only so many roads you can build and ways you can keep gas artificially low.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
I don't think Ricky will kill it. I wish they would have started with the Miami Orlando line first.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM

^ agreed because a Miami to Orlando line would be more heavily used & probably more profitable than the current line proposed. I hope Scott doesn't kill high speed rail.
Someone also mentioned a Metrorail extension to the Airport. That extension is expected to be completed in 18 months or in April of 2012.

Metrorail extension scheduled to be completed in April 2012 - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/10/1917895/metrorail-extension-scheduled.html#ixzz14sZZRGVB - broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
I hope Rick Scott kills the high speed rail project, and here's why: the initial construction of the partial (e.g., inadequate) system is not fully funded by the Federal Government, let alone the costly maintenance, which will be a burden on the State's budget for decades. Florida is not ready for inter-city rail because, let's face it, our metropolitan area public transportation sucks.

Any money spend on public transportation should be spent on local public transportation where it is truly needed and welcome. You're not talking about connecting cities like NYC and DC here...the situation in Florida is a totally different ball game!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I hope Rick Scott kills the high speed rail project, and here's why: the initial construction of the partial (e.g., inadequate) system is not fully funded by the Federal Government, let alone the costly maintenance, which will be a burden on the State's budget for decades. Florida is not ready for inter-city rail because, let's face it, our metropolitan area public transportation sucks.

Any money spend on public transportation should be spent on local public transportation where it is truly needed and welcome. You're not talking about connecting cities like NYC and DC here...the situation in Florida is a totally different ball game!
but at least we can reduce our reliance on foreign oil.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
but at least we can reduce our reliance on foreign oil.
Agreed that reducing reliance on foreign oil is a good idea.
Question: How much does the average Miami-an drive within South Florida vs. between Miami and Orlando? Wouldn't improving local transit be more effective at reducing our reliance of foreign oil?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post

So you would rather kill high speed rail & have other states take our $2 billion in Fed funds? The Feds are paying the vast majority for the first phase of this project and those funds are already allocated. Those funds will never go to local transit.
By the way if you think Scott is going to improve public transit in our state I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you!
As for our metro transit "sucking" it still is the best in the state of Florida carrying around 350,000 riders a day in Miami-Dade county alone.
The Feds have made Florida it's top priority so I think we should take advantage of improving rail in our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami