Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
How much would you all be willing to pay for admission? Because I'm afraid that admission is going to be around $20-$30/adult...on par with the "Met" in Manhattan.
Actually the Met in NYC is Free (many of the museums in NYC are free actually), the $20 admission cost is the "suggested" price that you should donate. I think if they did something like a "suggest" price without a fixed price then you would get more people in the doors, but at $20-$30 that gets costly for a family of four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
It should be free and taxpayer supported.

Learning has no bounds and as a society is of vital importance.

Maybe if, as a society we knew more, we wouldn't have such crazies running around proclaiming such foolishness so many today are doing. Just a thought.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:32 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
It should be free and taxpayer supported.

Learning has no bounds and as a society is of vital importance.

Maybe if, as a society we knew more, we wouldn't have such crazies running around proclaiming such foolishness so many today are doing. Just a thought.
+ 1

Me agreez

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
How much would you all be willing to pay for admission? Because I'm afraid that admission is going to be around $20-$30/adult...on par with the "Met" in Manhattan.
as long as they have Met quality exhibits then I will pay 20 with no problem.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM

245 posts, read 662,830 times
Same here, The Met is amazing......I hope this will be just as great a place to visit and take out of town guests......

Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Waste of money.
Miami is too tourism-centric, it needs a more diversified economy ! So spend money to attract businesses in high-tech, medical and solar sectors !

Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
I didn't realize this, thanks for clarifying. I just paid the $40 for my wife and myself, and it was well worth it However, I doubt the Miami art museum could compare to the Met or the Smithsonian. Established artists with Met-quality exhibits prefer to have their work displayed in established and reputable museums, e.g., "the righ get richer." It will be some time before the Miami museum gets to that level...if it even can!

What the museum should probably do is focus on latin American and Caribbean art, rather than try to compete with the established big art museums. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Actually the Met in NYC is Free (many of the museums in NYC are free actually), the $20 admission cost is the "suggested" price that you should donate. I think if they did something like a "suggest" price without a fixed price then you would get more people in the doors, but at $20-$30 that gets costly for a family of four.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 PM

^^^I agree focusing on Latin artists would be a better draw for the local market. But it would be sad to pigeon Miami just to Latin artist.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
I didn't realize this, thanks for clarifying. I just paid the $40 for my wife and myself, and it was well worth it However, I doubt the Miami art museum could compare to the Met or the Smithsonian. Established artists with Met-quality exhibits prefer to have their work displayed in established and reputable museums, e.g., "the righ get richer." It will be some time before the Miami museum gets to that level...if it even can!

What the museum should probably do is focus on latin American and Caribbean art, rather than try to compete with the established big art museums. What do you think?
isnt the new director from the Met?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^I agree focusing on Latin artists would be a better draw for the local market. But it would be sad to pigeon Miami just to Latin artist.
my problem with that is, there is a vibrant Caribbean community, Brazilian, African American and African community down here. They should embrace all of them. Would even be cool to show the communality between the different culture being that Africa has influenced many of these cultures.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:49 PM

^^^ that's a good idea as Miami is the gateway to many of these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: