Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
You were driving through the ghettos of Broward on the Turnpike through Broward (the nice part is VAST and goes for about 10 miles inland past the turnpike), and Palm Beach County is very nice along the areas you were driving through. Still, stay in Saint Augustine. Nice area.
I don't remember what we took off of 95. But the neighborhoods I'm referring to were between 95 and the turnpike. It was a long 8 miles. Once we got to the turnpike, all was good. And we were definately still in Dade. Anyway, I won't take anymore "shortcuts" and your right, St. Augustine is much more my speed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I think the new homes are just going to bring an element of inequality in, and in 5 years, its going to look like any other Miami-Dade neighborhood with bars on the windows and paved driveways to blend in with the poor areas around it.
I hope you're wrong because I'm prety sure that I'm in that area you're talking about. There is a HOA there and so far we've only had a few complaints, although a lot of the owners are living out of state. They bought their houses pre-construction to flip them and now they are sitting on them since they can't sell them.
There are a few houses that have four and five cars in the driveways and I suspect that those houses are being lived in by more than one family. That's definately against the rules.
By the way, what's wrong with paved driveways? Maybe I don't know what you mean but the only places where I've seen dirt driveways are like out in the countryside. Even Homestead has paved driveways.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
What we mean about paved driveways, is when the entire front yard is paved no grass at all and usually there is a wall with a fence on top to make it even more beautiful (similiar to many homes in Hialeah). There is nothing wrong with a paved driveway that have green grass around it.

I hope we are wrong too about that area, it all depends on what type of person moves in to the area in the end.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
I would agree that western Broward has some of the better areas in S.Florida,but forget about it's just too far a drive to Homestead.And taking US 27 and then Krome ( the rural 2 lane road), doing that drive every day is insane and dangerous,day or night.I think 3 times I've driven Krome where I've gotten 3/4 of the way between Kendall dr. and US 27 and I've had to turn around because there was a fatal head-on crash and they close the street.Taking the turnpike you'll get some good traffic and tolls are like $3 each way.I would look at Pinecrest,Palmetto Bay and Kendall!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay homes are so expensive! Nice neighborhoods and you would essentially be going against the majority of the commuters...you would be driving south while the vast majority are headed north. Should not be a major problem.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 29,278 times
Default Outstanding

Thanks for all the great info. We're looking, what little we can over the net, at houses in Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest. Whats the scoop on Pembroke Pines? Looking at the statistics you would think that's the best area in Miami based on crime etc. Thoughts? I don't mind a commute so much as I do the safety of my family and schools. Private schools are out of the question do to high cost (three kids, ouch).

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamibound View Post
Thanks for all the great info. We're looking, what little we can over the net, at houses in Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest. Whats the scoop on Pembroke Pines? Looking at the statistics you would think that's the best area in Miami based on crime etc. Thoughts? I don't mind a commute so much as I do the safety of my family and schools. Private schools are out of the question do to high cost (three kids, ouch).
Well, for one thing, its in Broward,hardly out of Miami, and it's not really the best in Broward at all. Neither are the schools. It's safe/clean, but its so congested and crowded that I would not live there. The schools are a little better than most of Dade,and they are fine in West Pines, but I would still move one town up for Cooper City which is even safer,more community oriented, and probably has some of the best schools in the entire metro. That's a painful commute from either town though, but you will live in a nicer area, yet save a couple dollars.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 29,278 times
Default Drive

What would you estimate the drive time to be if I leave Cooper City around 5am headed to Homestead and a 5pm drive back?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Just want to repeat that Homestead really isn't that awful. Sure there is some poverty here, but there is also a real "hometown" feeling. This is copied from today's Miami Herald HOMESTEAD
Local diner caters to regulars
Moderator cut: please post link to paper and artical, copy write issues

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-27-2007 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added material

Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamibound View Post
What would you estimate the drive time to be if I leave Cooper City around 5am headed to Homestead and a 5pm drive back?
Someone who does this drive can correct me but knowing traffic flow in South Florida I would guess at 5am a minimum 50 minutes to an hour and in the afternoon a minimum closer to 1.5 hours but that's if traffic is flowing normal,if there's an accident,WATCH OUT!!This would be taking the turnpike from Homestead until it meets with I-75 in northern Miami-Dade!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami