Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM

9 posts, read 40,358 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what this area is like when compared to an area like Fort Lauderdale. Would Miami beach be a good place to live? Are there many younger people in this area and/or Fort Lauderdale? How expensive is it to live there? Any information that you have would be great and pictures are always good. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
I lived with my grandparents in Collins and 72, so I didn't have to pay rent. Can't help you the economic terms, sorry.

It depends what parts of Miami Beach you are talking about too. Where I used to live it was a little bit more urban than the rest of Dade, so that was a good thing for me. When it comes to living standards, I guess MB is one of the few places where you can actually make a lot of friends (not that I have) if you are sociable. This is due to the fact that people are actually out there walking. Everything is walking distance, and by walking distance I don't mean 10 mins on feet.

That's my experience though, don't know if that counts.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Miami Beach is like being at a wild party that never stops with all the good and bad that goes with it. One day you might meet a hottie, the next day you might meet a creep. It's a lot of things, but it's never never boring.

$$$? You can buy a condo on MB for 80K or 8M. I was looking at listings today - drooling ....

Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 31,310 times
I am also looking at moving to Miami area. My husband works on a cruise ship and we'd like to be close so we can see him when he's in port on weekends(we are in TN right now). Any advice on where to look? we need something reasonable in rent, i watch kids in my home and would do the same there but "guaranteed" income is just his. Is there anywhere safe for me and my son while he's gone? Thanks!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
rent budget? kid's ages?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Sure you dont want to look at the fort lauderdale area instead? cruise ships keep leaving miami and going to fort lauderdale instead. now even california is scaling back their cruises due to the dangerous conditions in mexico. fort lauderdale seems to be the single area of growth and where all the big ships dock. it would be wise to look there instead.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 31,310 times
We are thinking of Miami cause that's where he will port, but Ft Lauderdale is option. mainly thinking about cost and safety. Right now we pay around $900 for about 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment. My son is 13. We homeschool so we arent worried about public school's except that the better ones tend to indicate better areas to live.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom21boy View Post
We are thinking of Miami cause that's where he will port, but Ft Lauderdale is option. mainly thinking about cost and safety. Right now we pay around $900 for about 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment. My son is 13. We homeschool so we arent worried about public school's except that the better ones tend to indicate better areas to live.
It's a long hard drive from Ft Lauderdale to the port of Miami - at rush hour it will suck. Miami Beach is a great place to be a 20 something chasing tail, but I'm not keen to recommend that for a 13 year old. There is a nude gay beach smack dab in the middle South Beach just for starters. Key Biscayne is a much better choice. Coral Gables also. Brickell would be possible too as long as you're not letting Junior leave the tower campus.

You have to understand they made a whole show called Miami Vice and I can assure you Miami lives up to its reputation plus some. That said Miami and especially Miami Beach is full of delights if you got the moxy to deal with its issues. If you manage your child really well, it can be done. But you need to really get really good guidance about where to reside because most Americans find most of Dade hard to live in. I say Key Biscayne, Coral Gables, North Beach, Surfside, or any of those islands up there. Look at the map and keep in mind Golden Beach is 200 blocks from the Port of Miami channel.

My 10 year old son getting introduced to Mr Clucky on Lincoln Road

Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
I agree with Boston, a commute from FTL would be a bit much. Aventura would be as far north as I would suggest. $900 a month for a 2 bedroom is your other challenge but no matter where you move, stay east of us1 even if you have to adjust your budget.

I'm a fan of Surfside, it's not as touristy and congested as other beach areas, you can park for free if you live there and the police are very active. Cost of rentals I find less there than MB plus you can walk to the beach, has a bit of a beach boardwalk and a walkable downtown. The commute from SS to the Port is about 25 minutes with most of it being a pleasant drive.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,727 times
Downtown Miami,Aventura,or Hallandale Beach these are nice areas you're between Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale if you want to party you go and party and then go back to you quiet apartment/or house.....Aventura mall your girlfriend will love it...I think its the best mall in South Florida...
Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami