Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I love the Orchid Garden here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYCjoSWSYTY
I got married there, beautiful place and Fuchs is a great guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
I knew Bob Fuchs when he was still teaching and selling orchids on the weekends at the Green Thumb nursery near Dadeland!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
so does the whole county

it seems you would like to blame everything on homestead because it would give you an easy way to wrap up all miami's problems but its simply not that easy. many problems you see in homestead are everywhere in miami. there are far better areas than homestead and much much worse areas too. I have no allegiance to this place other than the fact i presently am renting here but it seems you want to skew the reality of things by trying to blame all the problems of miami on a little town just north of the keys which simply isnt reality.
That's such a silly conclusion. I don't think I ever said Miami's problems are all caused by Homestead.

Homestead is like another planet. The only problem that is a consequence of Miami is the racial tensions. The high hispanic population in Miami has created that and many non Hispanics feel out of place or displaced(especially those that can't afford the expensive white neighborhoods) But it's not just that, the high crime and the horrible schools are enough to keep anyone away. No the schools are not bad, they are terrible because the schools are shared with Florida City

Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Wow! Princess, how long have you lived in the city of Homestead? Not my experiences at all! City services: I noticed a couple April's ago (dry season) that the grass was green around my water meter. At 8:00 in the morning, I left a message at Public Works - in Homestead. At 8:15 there were 3 guys from Public Works looking around the meter. One of the guys told me that the meter or right by it was cracked and it had to be replaced. By 8:45, the meter was replaced and the guys were gone. Poor service? I don't think so! I think the tap water is great - the city has their own water treatment plant. {Please note: I live within the city limits of Homestead - NOT the REDLAND!!!! - that is county. Ruder people???? I don't think so at all!!!!!!!!!!!! The further south I drive down U.S. 1, the more polite and considerate people are!!! I have not experienced rude people, Oh, by the way, I've lived down here since 1978! The police - they've been great! I did have my house broken into - the bad guys kicked in a kick-in panel on my front door (while I was at work). One of the policemen who responded to my call came back an hour or so later and nailed a wooden plank across the opening for me. Only in a small town - not likely to happen with the county. I could go on and on about how great Homestead is! At the grand opening of our new Community Center, there were folks of all colors, no racial bias there. In fact I saw some black city employees give some of the elderly white ladies a peck on their cheek - because they hadn't seen each other since the Senior Citizen Center had closed down for the building of the Community Center. We've had black mayors, female mayors, council members of all nationalities that seem to get along just fine. I don't agree Ms Princess, sorry!
I wonder if the water source is different for west homestead. East homestead has the nastiest water.

Those have been my experiences. Maybe if I had blonde hair and blue eyes or black skin they would have been different. Sometimes I wonder if the Mexican population has anything to do with the abusive and racist behavior I have seen there. I have placed so many complaints against employees there it's ridiculous. It seems they all think we are Mexican and illegal and That they can get away with yelling at customers and treating them like dirt.

No I don't live in homestead but go there very often. Thank God it's not gonna be for long. I used to defend the place, thought it could have a future, but it just doesn't. Someone asked once how can we improve homestead? And someone answered remove all its citizens. Unfortunately I have to agree with that troll, whoever it was.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV42r...eature=related

Let's don't ever forget this ugly mother,destroying 126,000 homes and 80 % of the farms while leaving 180,000 homeless.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Cixcell, Bobbie Jo's is in a strip shopping center on Krome Ave. (west side) just south of the intersection with 15th Street (King's Hwy). Royal Palm is at the corner of Krome Ave. and 8th Street (Campbell Drive) (Homestead's 8th street not the one up north.) It is across the street from the funeral home.
I drove by Bobbie Jo's I will give it a try. Royal Palm is pretty good. Another good place is Redland grill. It was closed for a while and it is now open.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Yes, Redland Grill is at a gas station a couple miles north of Homestead, on Krome Ave. I've heard that it is good - never tried it.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,661 times
Hi, I used to live in Miami for 30 years, now I live in Redland or Homestead, to us here versus Miami: this is heaven here, we live at 264 St. and Krome Ave, we got one acre home for 185,000 year 1/2 ago and we are very very happy about the property (5 bedrooms 2 bath and pool) and about the neighbors, we have a horse, around 40 hens and 2 goats; are kids love the place, are closed neighbors have been around here for 30 40 years and no complaints. We lived in Kendall which is a good place in Miami, never the less not even if we get pay we go back to Miami. WE LOVED HERE.
God help you to make the right move.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Homestead and the Redland is a nice, country style place to live. The pace is slower, traffic less hectic and wonderful avocado and mango groves. I have found people to be more polite, down to earth and open. Miami and its huge population and totally built up area is just not my 'cup of tea'.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM

It depends where you live.

When people talk about Homestead they usually refer to East Homestead or the older homes on West Homestead. The agricultural and farming areas are usually called the Redland area

I like the Redland area but it's kind too dark and lonely at night. I would prefer to live in the farm houses closer to Country Walk than Homestead. It would be closer to Miami and the stores around there are more pleasant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami