Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM

34 posts, read 49,289 times

Advertisements

Is there iguanas and parrots in miami??like there is inthey keys??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
yes. lots of quaker parrots and other misc parrots here and there. iguana got smacked back pretty bad in last year's freeze and it will be a number of years before you see more than just a few large ones. fortunately they breed pretty rapidly.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
We also have ducks, frogs and snakes. Saw many feral iguanas back in 2006, but none since then.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM

wildherps.com - Florida
scroll down to miami dade county

Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
yep plenty of that stuff. Miami has more wildlife then the keys since you have the everglades on the border. Have seen all types of birds and reptiles in my backyard its awesome.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 PM

163 posts, read 316,532 times
veiled chameleons, tegus, nile monitors, basilisks, and burmese pythons too but you will have to do some searching.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
I'm so bummed that when I was down there in November, I didn't see a single iguana! Damn cold weather we had in 2009! When I was down there in August 2008 the iguana's were everywhere! There were also other oddities too. The Cicada's were in full mass and whenever I drove by an estuary the sound was almost deafening! It sounded like a South American jungle!

There was a lot of rain at that time and that seemed to bring out the African Millipedes. There is a white masonry wall right as Hugh Taylor Birch park ends and you are headed North towards Primanti Bro's Pizza. That wall was lined with those millipedes!!

On this last trip though, when I was leaving Jimbo's on Virginia Key, to get on the Rickenbacker, there were at least 50 raccoons on the west side of the road!!! That is no exaggeration. There were AT LEAST 10 groups of 5 (families?) raccoons on the side of the road! The raccoons in Miami are weird! They're a lot thinner with proportions seemed more cat-like and they're not exactly hairless but their hair is so thin that you can see the pink skin of their bellies through the fur. I guess that's understandable with the heat and humidity and all. Our raccoons out here in So Cal are very bear-like. They're fat and muscular (Well, one or the other -- whatever -- they're BIG) and it gives them attitude!

I miss seeing the tons of dragonflies zinging around. I feel like I'm in a dead zone out here in San Diego! There just isn't a lot of EVIDENT wildlife here!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 AM

34 posts, read 49,289 times
WEll when ig et to miami i plan on trying to get into photgraaphy and wildlife wuld prolly be my favorite...so im guessing if i plan on seeing alot i iwll be spending alot of time in the glades!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 AM

the racoons in socal are OBESE. they feed on people's trash. they fight in my parent's trees. there are even blonde racoons in the keys. the racoons up in ocala are incredibly tolerant of humans. they wander around all over in plain daylight casually looking in trashcans and practically posing for photos because they want you to feed them.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Yup, Miami is full of animals. Haha! Now that should be a classic saying right up there with "never boring". HAHA!

No really, South Beach has more alley cats than anyplace I've ever seen. I think they have the title to probably a half a dozen buildings. Not a lot of rodent activity in SoBe! Just too bad they don't eat cockroaches.

Oh yeah, and those f-ing parrots! Oh shyt, you can barely hear yourself walking down Lincoln Road when they get going. I have no idea why the cats haven't gotten a handle on them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami