Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 AM

97 posts, read 646,714 times

Advertisements

does anyone who lives in the Miami area actually like it? Is the problem mostly an income gap between haves and have nots in quality of life? Also I have been told jobs do not pay that well in FLorida is this true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:12 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
My wife took a 33% pay cut when she moved here from So Cal. She has MSW and works as a therapist with kids in foster care.

She's been here since Fall '03 and hasn't really acclimated to the area. I, on the otherhand, have been here for 20+ years. Other than the heat & humidity, overcrowded overpriced neighborhoods, high crime, lack of 4 seasons, flat terrain, and hurricanes I really do like it down here!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Of course some do, otherwise it would be a ghost town! And admittedly if the population was cut in half, and the real estate bubble bursts, and they attract some real industries Miami would beat any other city , paws down.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:39 PM

15 posts, read 110,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
does anyone who lives in the Miami area actually like it? Is the problem mostly an income gap between haves and have nots in quality of life? Also I have been told jobs do not pay that well in FLorida is this true
I moved here a year ago, from Tampa, and I can't wait to move back! the cost of living is through the roof, and it is true the jobs dont pay enough! why should employers pay well, they have plenty of illegal immagrants that will do twice the work for half the pay.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Not everyone hates Miami of course. I don't hate Miami, I just think there are better places to live. What is wrong? It is partly an income gap vs. housing costs. But the people here are more of an issue. The me-me-me mentality, the fakeness, traffic, rideness, weather, etc...My sister is moving to Manhatten in 2 weeks, for many of the reason that are complained about on these threads about Miami, that she feels NYC doesn't have to the same degree. As far as the real estate market in South Florida, not a great time to come down right now...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Not everyone hates Miami of course. I don't hate Miami, I just think there are better places to live. What is wrong? It is partly an income gap vs. housing costs. But the people here are more of an issue. The me-me-me mentality, the fakeness, traffic, rideness, weather, etc...My sister is moving to Manhatten in 2 weeks, for many of the reason that are complained about on these threads about Miami, that she feels NYC doesn't have to the same degree. As far as the real estate market in South Florida, not a great time to come down right now...
Homes are so expensive here, and even if you could afford them (my husband and I couldn't afford the house we are in if we had to purchase it by todays prices), the TAXES and INSURANCE are literally out of this world.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
Homes are so expensive here, and even if you could afford them (my husband and I couldn't afford the house we are in if we had to purchase it by todays prices), the TAXES and INSURANCE are literally out of this world.
Yep, these are some of the other issues too.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Manhattan? Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Manhattan? Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire!
Not in all aspects...The people are friendlier some how. It is truely an exciting city, it has top everything. Manhatten isn't for me either, but for her it has much more that Miami can not offer her anymore.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:30 PM

124 posts, read 415,035 times
I don't like Miami because . . . Homes are too expensive
Traffic is horrendous at all hours of the day
Humidity is too high
We have Hurricane Season from June until Nov and all the radio and tv does is talk about Hurricane, Hurricane, and storm shuttles. Not to mention the storm bulletins that can never point out exactly where it is the Hurricane is going to hit.
There are always long lines in banks, grocery stores, parking lots, and government offices
Crime is a problem
Jobs pay does not reflect Miami's cost of living
Too many people living here
Too many people from too many different places each one of them, pulls his own way.
Everyone is from somewhere else
No one says greets you anymore, not even in church
Rude drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami