Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM

54 posts, read 329,851 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to live in one school district but go to another districts high school? Love the Palmetto Bay area but prefer Killian High School (better baseball program)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
Not sure how it works any more kids have graduated and both went to a magnet school that would have been considered out of district if it had been a "regular" school. My nephew wasn't in the Killian High district but my sister got him in there by him taking a course that wasn't available at his district school. I don't know if they even do things like that anymore. I'm sure someone out there will be able to answer your question better than I.

Here's a link to a thread where someone asked the same question that may be helpful. Try doing a search and you may find even more information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...t-we-dont.html

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
Is it possible to live in one school district but go to another districts high school? Love the Palmetto Bay area but prefer Killian High School (better baseball program)
Basically no. The only way is if the school you want your child to go to is a charter or magnet school which you have to apply and be accepted into. Killian High is not a magnet or charter school. Have you looked at the The Falls area which is west of Pinecrest, its a nice area and part of the Killian High feeder pattern. I think it is actually a little nicer location than Palmetto Bay, Palmetto Bay is a little more lush but a little further south.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-10-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
In Broward there is a process that you can go through to try and get your home school changed. I am sure Miami Dade has a similar process. I am not sure that a better baseball team would qualify you for the change but I would call the school board and find out if there is a process and what the requirements are. I find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of administrative hearing for this type of stuff.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
I believe they will charge you a monthly rate,because when I went to high school back in the 1970's,I wanted to remain at the current school I was attending after my family had moved out of that particular school district. I believe they charged my parents 50 dollars per month back then.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Yes, it's possible, though it might be based on a lottery system (I knew kids who were out of district when I was at Palmetto, also knew someone in college who was districted to South Miami or Sunset but got into Killian). I'd also recommend calling the school.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
Not only did I go to another district but I went to another state.
1954 to 1957, from Hartford Arkansas to Poteau Oklahoma, and LeFlore county or the school district did not charge dear old dad.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
yes go to the school board and request for your kid to be transferred out of district.. if your child has a ride to the school and has decent grades.. and keeps decent grades while enrolling into a magnet program( not sure about sports) you can transfer just let the school board knwo the year before transfer.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 41,974 times
I go to high school in Oklahoma. I know, here, you can do out of district transfers, though it doesn't always guarentee your spot each school year.(First come first serve to residents) I had a friend in Kansas wanting to go to school with, but they wouldn't accept out of state transfer, even though our school is within 30 miles of KS.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 PM

92 posts, read 208,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Basically no. The only way is if the school you want your child to go to is a charter or magnet school which you have to apply and be accepted into. Killian High is not a magnet or charter school. Have you looked at the The Falls area which is west of Pinecrest, its a nice area and part of the Killian High feeder pattern. I think it is actually a little nicer location than Palmetto Bay, Palmetto Bay is a little more lush but a little further south.
I agree with doggiebus, if you have your heart set on Killian High, I would just live in the Killian district and avoid having to deal with the school board. I live in Palmetto Bay and love it but I think that the neighborhoods around the Falls and to the north (all of which are in Killian's district) are just as nice and, from what I can tell, the prices are a lower than in Palmetto Bay. Most people I know who live in Palmetto Bay do so in order to be zoned for Palmetto High and many are willing to pay a little more for that. It seems like you can get a nice home, for less, and have your son in the school you want.

I know you didn't suggest this but in case you had thought about it, I would definitely not try to lie about your address to get your son into a different school. Dade County schools is cracking down on that sort of thing and as someone whose own parents did this, it is not worth the stress of worrying if you will be caught and the disruption caused to your child if/when you are caught (speaking from experience, we were caught when I was in 6th grade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami