Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Shouldn't YOU be raising your kids, though, and not an area?

You influence your kids and teach them the most, never forget that.
you can teach them the best, but society still has a profound impact

Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
You'll be missed on this forum by some of us, me included. It's bad enough to have to go through what you did, much less living in a place day to day you find objectionable. I hear you on the cesspool.

It's a new start for you though, now you have a chance to change your life for something more suitable and at many levels. You're permanently out of a bad situation now and deep down you have to feel some sense of relief.

Concentrate on that relief you feel, and the grief of it all may sooner pass.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefisto Rey View Post
If I were to hate cities and countries because a woman cheated on me on those cities or countries, I would have to hate a large tract of the known world.

I find the OP to be a extremely childish, naïve and subjective person. Just a toddler out of a amniotic sac baffled by the world at large.

I think he should be living in a more familiar surrounding, among family and relatives. He should never venture out there again. It's a dog eat dog world for people like him.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
As of now, I am happily living in Ashland, NJ with an old friend of mine and working for a medium sized manufacturing company in Philly (a job I was lucky to land)...
In short, I am FREE.
Glad to hear you made it out and found a better place. I think you will find it is much easier to make friends in other cities than Miami. That has been my experience in Houston. Living here only 9 months I already have friends who offer to take me to the airport in rush hour traffic (45 minutes to an hour) after work and refuse to take the money I offer them. What are the odds of finding that in Miami.

I was back in Miami last wek to visit family and use up my remaining 2010 vacation days, as required by the company I work for (well, required to use them up, not to use them up in Miami ). I was tempted to do the whole touristy thing just as a laugh, but even before I got off the plane I was already turned off by it. Two girls in the row in front of me (tourists) hooked up with the guy next to him that they had just met (typical Miami macho type dude). He called his friend on the phone after we landed and told him they were going to swing by his place to pick him up so the four of them could have some fun clubbing and stuff. He assured his friend that both of the girls were hot (they kinda were) and to bring condoms.
So, instead, I enjoyed spending the week with my family, made one trip to Key Largo, and avoided the rest of Miami as much as I could. I did observe one thing. Several times people honked their horns while I was in traffic. Others have commented on the hair-trigger reaction Miamians have to using their car horns and I have said that I never noticed that. I noticed it this time. Perhaps it is getting worse?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Miami is not unique in this. The laying on the car horn is de rigueur here in San Diego. You can expect it right as the light changes. Regular as clockwork.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
My soon to be ex wife did me the biggest favor on earth: she cheated on me so that I could not only leave her, but I could also leave Miami without any guilt or remorse.
I had a girlfriend back in 07 who told me at the time she broke up with me, that she was confident that I would thank her for breaking up. I was very upset that she wanted to end the relationship, so I was skeptical of her comment - but it some kind of made me feel better hearing it. As it turned out, I called her a few months later and thanked her, because she was right.

I had another GF back in 05 who said that her leaving me would be the "best thing that ever happened to me", and while I would not say it was the best thing, it certainly was in the top 10.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
I had a girlfriend back in 07 who told me at the time she broke up with me, that she was confident that I would thank her for breaking up. I was very upset that she wanted to end the relationship, so I was skeptical of her comment - but it some kind of made me feel better hearing it. As it turned out, I called her a few months later and thanked her, because she was right.

I had another GF back in 05 who said that her leaving me would be the "best thing that ever happened to me", and while I would not say it was the best thing, it certainly was in the top 10.
That's exactly how I feel about my STBX. Things like this happen for a reason and although they sting like hell at the time, the end result is often the best for both parties. I got what I wanted (I moved, got a new job and am back among friends). She got what she wanted (someone else's d**k). No loss really. She did me the biggest favor by cheating as I got to call it quits, guilt-free. Thankfully, we never got around to having children!

Anyway man, I know this is off-topic, but thanks for sharing.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Glad to hear you made it out and found a better place. I think you will find it is much easier to make friends in other cities than Miami. That has been my experience in Houston. Living here only 9 months I already have friends who offer to take me to the airport in rush hour traffic (45 minutes to an hour) after work and refuse to take the money I offer them. What are the odds of finding that in Miami.

I was back in Miami last wek to visit family and use up my remaining 2010 vacation days, as required by the company I work for (well, required to use them up, not to use them up in Miami ). I was tempted to do the whole touristy thing just as a laugh, but even before I got off the plane I was already turned off by it. Two girls in the row in front of me (tourists) hooked up with the guy next to him that they had just met (typical Miami macho type dude). He called his friend on the phone after we landed and told him they were going to swing by his place to pick him up so the four of them could have some fun clubbing and stuff. He assured his friend that both of the girls were hot (they kinda were) and to bring condoms.
So, instead, I enjoyed spending the week with my family, made one trip to Key Largo, and avoided the rest of Miami as much as I could. I did observe one thing. Several times people honked their horns while I was in traffic. Others have commented on the hair-trigger reaction Miamians have to using their car horns and I have said that I never noticed that. I noticed it this time. Perhaps it is getting worse?
The moral of the story is that Miami is not for everyone. Although living there was bad for me and for the kind of person I am, others enjoy it and should not be dissuaded from trying it out. Income and age play a major factor. Someone earning $100k plus can have a great life in Miami, especially if they are in a social circle. Miami Beach is like a separate entity altogether. If you have a condo with an ocean view, there's your paradise.

I won't stop posting here completely, but I have no need to complain and no real reason to be here. Over the years, I've said what I had to say. I don't want to sound like a stuck record.

I do wish Miami all the best. The city is a goldmine of potential, but it needs to be more than just an oversized party town and it needs to attract more Fortune 500 companies.

Who knows, I may even go back someday, as a tourist. I'll take taxis though as I swore to myself that I will NEVER drive in Miami again!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
You'll be missed on this forum by some of us, me included. It's bad enough to have to go through what you did, much less living in a place day to day you find objectionable. I hear you on the cesspool.

It's a new start for you though, now you have a chance to change your life for something more suitable and at many levels. You're permanently out of a bad situation now and deep down you have to feel some sense of relief.

Concentrate on that relief you feel, and the grief of it all may sooner pass.
JM, thanks. I'll still drop by from time to time, but I've said all of what I needed to say. More than anything, I started this thread as a means of letting people know that if you're in a tough predicament, there's always a way out. I'm doing good though, even though living in South FL for so long has taken away my resistance to colder temperatures!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
^^^Let us know how long it takes for you to adjust since I may be moving soon. The one thing I'm worried about is catching a lot of colds and being frozen to the core 24/7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami