Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

WTF????? How can you hit something and NOT STOP to see what was????You KNOW you hit something!! ALL those people should go to JAIL!!!!!! POS people!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
I dont understand this much either. The only thing that would make this reasonable is if any of the cars where trucks and maybe the man's body just went under them or the car did not feel it as easily. The orginal person who hit the man did stop. The driver was also not charged with anything. Most likely meaning he was crossing where/when he should not have been. Its of course no excuse to not stop. But people need to be careful where/when the cross the street.
Police: Up To 8 Cars Run Over Pedestrian - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
When the story first came out I got the impression it was a planned thing, because I could not imagine how that could happen. However, then other stories came out saying the first driver stopped and tried to blame the copper wire jackers for the darkness, and yet another story focused on finding the people who didn't stop.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Why am I getting a whole "street racing" vibe off of all of this? 8 cars in close succession and none of them had time to respond, throw on the brakes or change course. It sounds like a group of kids street racing.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
I doubt it. I've been a passenger in street races, and seen the street races around southwest broward, and it's nothing like what you see in movies...not that I expected them to. One person per lane side to side, and racing each other. Everyone wouldn't have been in the same lane running the guy over, well unless he was in between both lanes, and trailing cars don't usually follow close behind.

It was mentioned that a truck ran over the guy's head. So maybe the larger cars didn't feel it as much? Or just careless drivers.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
tsk tsk tsk.

These types of things is what kills the vibe for tourists and newcomers.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
5-8 ADDITIONAL vehicles hit this man. So sad. I am "sure" this happens everywhere. Where are all those posters who act like Miami is the same as every other "big" city? Sorry, but this is not normal big city behavior. This is evidence in a break down in Miami society, a lack of empathy, zero cultural ties to the community and zero compassion. It epitomizes the MiamiME attitude:

I have to get my car fixed now, dam.n! I can't stop, I will get a ticket! No, I better keep going, I could even go to jail. Let's pretend I didn't hit that pedestrian, the other 7 cars did too and they didn't stop either so I'm good.

Yes, I am sure this happens all over. And on this scale too. DREAM ON! This dysfunctionality is the Miami blend. And this is why people are so livid with the selfish, egocentric crap that goes on here, it not only costs people their sanity and mental health, but in these extreme cases, their lives. Mind you this poor man was still alive after being hit the first time. Sigh.

OK, bring it, let's hear how great Miami is so we can sweep this under the rug and pretend it never happened or that it happens all the time everywhere else.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:50 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
5-8 ADDITIONAL vehicles hit this man. So sad. I am "sure" this happens everywhere. Where are all those posters who act like Miami is the same as every other "big" city? Sorry, but this is not normal big city behavior. This is evidence in a break down in Miami society, a lack of empathy, zero cultural ties to the community and zero compassion. It epitomizes the MiamiME attitude:

I have to get my car fixed now, dam.n! I can't stop, I will get a ticket! No, I better keep going, I could even go to jail. Let's pretend I didn't hit that pedestrian, the other 7 cars did too and they didn't stop either so I'm good.

Yes, I am sure this happens all over. And on this scale too. DREAM ON! This dysfunctionality is the Miami blend. And this is why people are so livid with the selfish, egocentric crap that goes on here, it not only costs people their sanity and mental health, but in these extreme cases, their lives. Mind you this poor man was still alive after being hit the first time. Sigh.

OK, bring it, let's hear how great Miami is so we can sweep this under the rug and pretend it never happened or that it happens all the time everywhere else.
Man run over repeatedly on I-880 - SFGate (http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-10-12/bay-area/17264148_1_chp-officer-mike-davis-homeless-man-dead-dog - broken link) Found this as the first link on Google. But hey, that was 4 years ago, maybe the hundreds of thousands of SF residents who run over bodies on a regular basis got sensible since then.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,229 times
Very sad, and a sad commentary on the city and our times.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Man run over repeatedly on I-880 - SFGate (http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-10-12/bay-area/17264148_1_chp-officer-mike-davis-homeless-man-dead-dog - broken link) Found this as the first link on Google. But hey, that was 4 years ago, maybe the hundreds of thousands of SF residents who run over bodies on a regular basis got sensible since then.
If multiple drivers run over a pedastrian, it would be reasonable that it would happen on an expressway the 880. But on a surface street in Miami? Give me a break...it's not like expressways in San Fran. have sidewalks and pedestrian crosswalks and stoplights like 27th Ave does in Miami...

Remember, you have to look at this stuff in context. Anywhere this would be a freak accident, here it is just freaks causing accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami