Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times

Advertisements

Cixcell, that's different. Most of those people are 4 generation Americans who happen to have Mexican great granpdas. Americans nonetheless. They probably have no ties to Mexico, they might do some romantic heritage research, but that's just as far as they go with the Mexicanism. Cubans on the other hand do most of their success in America as direct-lineage Cubans.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
the thing is though it was kinda hard to determine what anyone was over there anyway. many people in california didnt overtly identify as 'mexican' or 'guatemalan' or a particular flavor of asian or indian or middle easterner like they do here. people are just people. i knew alot of people who i think were mexican and in positions of wealth or executive level positions over there but race was never discussed so i have no idea what they really were. they just 'looked' mexican. a good friend of mine was black, white and indian (like from india), and he found a girl who was also black, white and indian and used to joke he wanted to hook up with her and make his own race.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:48 PM

193 posts, read 371,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So at what point is a person no longer Cuban? Do people in Cuba state they are Spanish-Cuban?

Just wondering.
This could be a touchy subject!

I've found only Miamians identify themselves as just Cuban/Dominican/Nicaraguan/whatever even if they were born here; elsewhere people say XXXX-American. I figured this down to how recently their family immigrated.

I meet "Cubans" (i.e. Cuban-Americans) who will say they're Cuban, but in reality unless they told you, you would think they're American. Many are obviously 2nd and 3rd generation Americans, so they're born here and have gone to American schools, some even listen to country music...

You'll also find some Cubans who believe they're of a better class than other Cubans/Latinos. These are people who came more than 30 years ago, and their kids. Sometimes these people will be quick to point out their European heritage, as if to make a point they're more sophisticated and better educated.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Look at me I'm Yuropean!!!! and eveyone in America bows down to me or just hates me for being beautiful. Ignorant yankees... I prefer to go to Colombia, because there, the beautiful women of Baranquilla, treat me like a SUPREME GOD, for I am the Yuropean conquistador. I have 5 women by my side, all of them under-aged for my country's standards. I get the the Yuropean discount for all the cocaine in Bolivia. In Japan I make people feel ugly and insecure about themselves... they are envious of my Yuropeaness.

Tomorrow I'll go back to Moldova... have to get ready to work illegally either in Spain or Italy.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
I thought this was an informative post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/12332948-post8.html

Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
I was born in Cuba, came here when i was 7 years old (1996) and i don't claim I'm Cuban. I was raised here, I'm AMERICAN.

The ones who were born here but label themselves ''Cuban'' are because of their parents.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Please don't use red.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:31 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
This could be a touchy subject!

I've found only Miamians identify themselves as just Cuban/Dominican/Nicaraguan/whatever even if they were born here; elsewhere people say XXXX-American. I figured this down to how recently their family immigrated.

I meet "Cubans" (i.e. Cuban-Americans) who will say they're Cuban, but in reality unless they told you, you would think they're American. Many are obviously 2nd and 3rd generation Americans, so they're born here and have gone to American schools, some even listen to country music...

You'll also find some Cubans who believe they're of a better class than other Cubans/Latinos. These are people who came more than 30 years ago, and their kids. Sometimes these people will be quick to point out their European heritage, as if to make a point they're more sophisticated and better educated.
I hate those Cubans.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 PM

I've never ever EVER heard any Cuban saying "Oh look at me, I'm Yuropean". That's a South American thing.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM

193 posts, read 371,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I've never ever EVER heard any Cuban saying "Oh look at me, I'm Yuropean". That's a South American thing.
I've only heard it from Cubans in Miami (obviously I haven't met every South American though). I thought they were trying to differentiate themselves from other Latinos, including the later Cuban immigrants who people associate with the drug trade.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
I've only heard it from south americans: "ooh look at me i'm italian"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami