Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
I've only heard it from Cubans in Miami (obviously I haven't met every South American though). I thought they were trying to differentiate themselves from other Latinos.
There is no necessity to do that in Cuba. The former caste in south America indirectly forces people to identify themselves as Yuropean - those who can of course.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 PM

193 posts, read 371,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I've only heard it from south americans: "ooh look at me i'm italian"
I thought that was just Argentinians...

Interesting though.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
There is no necessity to do that in Cuba. The former caste in south America indirectly forces people to identify themselves as Yuropean - those who can of course.
But the Caste system appears in the Caribbean too, no? The Dominican Republic had it, and it's mostly European descendents who control the country and have the money.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I thought this was an informative post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/12332948-post8.html
That is a very informative post. However, Crispy did leave out a few points I'll add. Around the early eighties, the original Miamians who moved here in the 1930's and 40's were still here. By this time, they were all in their 70's and eighties. There were a LOT of these old folks. They all began to die of old age at that time and by the 90's, they were pretty much gone. At the same time, young Americans like myself were discovering Miami and Miami Beach in particular was a bargain basement for a cheap permanent vacation. Young people from all over the USA began arriving in MB and building their own scene. It didn't take long till Hollywood took notice of this (scene and location). Modeling and movies began to boom and the term SoBe was coined. The renovation and restoration began in full roar with Miami Vice and Art Deco preservation and continues to this day.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
I thought that was just Argentinians...

Interesting though.
heard it from brazilians too.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
That is a very informative post. However, Crispy did leave out a few points I'll add. Around the early eighties, the original Miamians who moved here in the 1930's and 40's were still here. By this time, they were all in their 70's and eighties. There were a LOT of these old folks. They all began to die of old age at that time and by the 90's, they were pretty much gone. At the same time, young Americans like myself were discovering Miami and Miami Beach in particular was a bargain basement for a cheap permanent vacation. Young people from all over the USA began arriving in MB and building their own scene. It didn't take long till Hollywood took notice of this (scene and location). Modeling and movies began to boom and the term SoBe was coined. The renovation and restoration began in full roar with Miami Vice and Art Deco preservation and continues to this day.

I don't know very many young people on the west coast of the country who hold miami in very high regard though. maybe it USED to be that way but now it seems everyone just hears bad things about it which unfortunately oftentimes are true. basically without even talking about it i get alot of people just asking me wtf i'm doing down here and i have to explain myself.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I don't know very many young people on the west coast of the country who hold miami in very high regard though. maybe it USED to be that way but now it seems everyone just hears bad things about it which unfortunately oftentimes are true. basically without even talking about it i get alot of people just asking me wtf i'm doing down here and i have to explain myself.
Well yeah, people from the West Coast didn't come in hoards to MIA cuz they already have great weather and beaches - why would they travel 3000 miles for more of the same? No it was mainly kids from this side of the Mississippi - mostly from the cold north and dead rust belt cities. FL is the East Coast winter vacation destination.

And yes, I concede that the American migration to Miami may have changed in recent times. Miami got rebuilt on our dime - well Miami Beach anyways. There still is a buzz about Miami but back then all the rest of the big cities in the east were war zones which is really not the case anymore. I'm sure Miami doesn't seem quite as fab to the average New Yorker now as it did in 1990.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
But the Caste system appears in the Caribbean too, no? The Dominican Republic had it, and it's mostly European descendents who control the country and have the money.
But you don't see them here do you? They are just excepetions. The great majority of Dominicans here are black. And the Cubans co-exist with any race in their country - there everyone is dead poor and the rich are just the same as the poor in terms of race.

In South America, those who are white, will try to reinforce their ancestry by attending their specific Yuropean festivals - been there and done that. Even the mestizos do that to feel better about themselves. It's no secret that the amerindian themselves and the mestizos, who look indian, feel as the lesser people, hence their social resentment. In the caribbean you won't find such things. The most important thing of all: People will think more of you if they see you as Yuropean... you'll have the upper hand. It's easier to get high paying jobs, easier to be in prestigious places and no one will think of you as a petty street criminal. All of this thanks to your Yuropeanes.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:35 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Quote:
Yes. Cuba is one of the few countries in the world where there is a sense of racial equality. It may not be perfect, but at least legally, there is complete equality. People don't look at your skin color first, as they do in say, Mexico or Argentina.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
But you don't see them here do you? They are just excepetions. The great majority of Dominicans here are black. And the Cubans co-exist with any race in their country - there everyone is dead poor and the rich are just the same as the poor in terms of race.

In South America, those who are white, will try to reinforce their ancestry by attending their specific Yuropean festivals - been there and done that. Even the mestizos do that to feel better about themselves. It's no secret that the amerindian themselves and the mestizos, who look indian, feel as the lesser people, hence their social resentment. In the caribbean you won't find such things. The most important thing of all: People will think more of you if they see you as Yuropean... you'll have the upper hand. It's easier to get high paying jobs, easier to be in prestigious places and no one will think of you as a petty street criminal. All of this thanks to your Yuropeanes.
European festivals - that's like celebrating ethnic cleansing! Well some might see it that way.

I've not been to South America, but the South Americans I know here are all "White", so their views might be tainted somewhat. Also, apart from Cuba and the Dominican Republic, I've only been to ex-British Caribbean-Islands and St. Martin/Marteen.

Cuba might be a special case. They seem to have a ruling elite, and then everyone else is dirt poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami