Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 PM

193 posts, read 371,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Yes. Cuba is one of the few countries in the world where there is a sense of racial equality. It may not be perfect, but at least legally, there is complete equality. People don't look at your skin color first, as they do in say, Mexico or Argentina.
Legally everyone's on the same footing in the USA, but in reality that's not the case. It's the same in most countries.

If Cuba suddenly overthrew the current government, I think the apparent racial equality would go with it.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
sorry offtopic but - the mestizos of latin america (mayan looking peoples) and negritos of southeast asia both fascinate me because they are seemly a racial mix with features specifically adapted to heavily forested tropical climates. there is even a special blood type among the mestizos that makes them immune to malaria.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
I think it's the blood type "O"

Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
sorry offtopic but - the mestizos of latin america (mayan looking peoples) and negritos of southeast asia both fascinate me because they are seemly a racial mix with features specifically adapted to heavily forested tropical climates. there is even a special blood type among the mestizos that makes them immune to malaria.

That would be sickle cell, which does not make a person immune, but a lot more tolerant. This only originates from Sub-Sahara Africa, thus anyone with this trait would have to have recent genetic links to people from that region.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM

But mestizos are mainly amerindian

Old 04-23-2011, 07:35 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
I think I've heard it said that the first generation were the elitist or professional types , as time goes by the 3rd and 4th generation become Americanized and have the freedoms their forefathers did not have in Cuba, so they things for granted, expecting things to be handed to them. They rest on their laurels and don't have the strive as the 1st or 2nd generation so this ideology gets passed on to other generations,so they either move away to get away from family peer pressures.

No doubt the Cuban people are interesting amd vibrant people that have added much instead of taken away from Miami and have linked up with Latin America to make it the "Gateways to the Americas". So the Cuban influence has been vast and far reaching.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Only one poster stated it was Mestizos, but I seriously doubt it. It is probably native groups that formed from run away slaves, or mixed with them in the central American region.

A quick Google search led me to this little thing, though i cannot vouch for the accuracy of it, the last part is wrong because as I stated, sickle cell does not create immunity, just tolerance.

"Another difference between Hondurans and Americans involves a congenital condition among certain Hondurans that affords them a specific medical immunity. The Garifuna, whose ancestors include black Africans and Caribbean Indians, have an African-component sickle-cell genetic adaptation to malaria. This means that, due to their genes, they are immune to malaria"

It is interesting, will probably do more reading up on it tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM

coolio coolio

Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM

433 posts, read 953,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Yes. Cuba is one of the few countries in the world where there is a sense of racial equality. It may not be perfect, but at least legally, there is complete equality. People don't look at your skin color first, as they do in say, Mexico or Argentina.
Well, as a recent-out-the-boat "ref" I have to admit that there are very few benefits of the Castro dictatorship and one of them is that racial inequality is almost non-existent. Almost everybody is dirty poor there; black, mixed, and the whiteys. However, the poorest group tends to be the darker one. But yes, race is not a problem in Cuba except when it comes to relationships, and it comes from everybody, especially the mixed group which makes the majority. However, the race factor in Mexico is unbearable, that’s a system not only limited by economic castes but by race. The whiter you are, the better you are in the food chain.

Last edited by Thomas Jefferson; 04-23-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That would be sickle cell, which does not make a person immune, but a lot more tolerant. This only originates from Sub-Sahara Africa, thus anyone with this trait would have to have recent genetic links to people from that region.
nope not sickle cell. something completely different. sickle cell is another adaptation entirely to deal with malaria. deform the red blood cell and the parasite is less likely to infect. the mestizo/mayan blood type is a different protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami