Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 PM

96 posts, read 210,223 times

Advertisements

I guess I'll have to chime in with my pro-nuclear stance as well.

Nuclear power is safe. Look at all the major incidents that have taken place Chernobyl, Harrisburg, Sellafield, etc. Even if operator error was not cited as the cause, these incidents would not have occurred if there was a better safety culture at the organization and the operaters were not only better trained, but understood the seriousness of what they were operating. Chernobyl blew up yes partly due to it's design, but partly due to the operator deciding to carry out their version of a high school science project. I trust that for the most parts operators now understand this.

Not having built nuclear plants in the USA for the past forty or so years is a good and bad thing. All the nuclear plants in operation today are aging and should be decommissioned, but that's not practical at this moment because they can't be decommissioned if there isn't something to offset their production if they were to all suddenly go offline. But it's also a good thing because all the new plants under construction (there are several at various states of the process all throughout Florida... new reactors at Turkey Point, Cheifland and I believe Crystal River come to mind) will be of the newest generation with safety features designed as we learned from the past 50 years.

Don't be quick to dismiss other sources of energy as well. I think some people severely underestimate the capabilities of wind and solar energy. How can Germany, for example, practically overnight change their position on their nuclear power plants after the incidents at Fukushima Daichi? But what do I know, the Chanclor of Germany has a doctorate in quantum chemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
Alt energy cannot proliferate in current political conditions. Its potential has not been realized due to the economy and close political ties with the energy industry. Solar farms in the SW US have great potential.

Sarcasm? Nuclear waste, military vulnerability, natural disaster.

....did everyone already forget about what happened in japan last month? And the following onslaught of concern for nuclear safety worldwide? Yes, its very safe...until reality hits!
Solar Power plants wont work. Maybe in the Southwest to where there is a huge amount of open space and lots of sun. But they are just not effecient enough to work anywhere. You need a huge amount of space to make a decent amount of power and to do that you need to put it far away from any heavily populated area. Of course with the energy decay it would experience by the time the power gets their to the city its 90% less then what it was when it was first produced. Solar power is garbage for high use situations. Great for roofs, farms, street lights but not for cities. Basically the same problem with windmills. No room, not that many areas average 13mph winds year round which is what is needed. Coal is obviously a terrible idea, Dams are very efficient but there are no more areas to dam and they are harmful to the environment.
Nuclear power has almost no harm to the environment. Unless of course there was a huge nuclear meltdown which has only happened once and that was in the Soviet Union of course. Natural Gas? Just not enough of it really lets save that for heating and public transport. Missing Anything else? Nuclear power is the obvious way to power the country. Given what has happened in Japan lets keep these plants away from fault lines. But I can guarantee you no tornado or hurricane is going to do anything to a nuclear power plant. So for Florida lets put away the natural disaster argument since there are no earthquakes.
Military? This is the United States not Iran.
Nuclear Waste. Well to my knowledge this has never really been a problem in the United States. Bury it in the ground. Yuca mountain is not a bad idea either. Only problem is transporting it. But again that would probably be done in an extremely safe manner as well. Until we get some fusion I do not see an alternative.

You mentioned what has happened in Japan. It has been bad. It has been one of the worst nuclear problems ever seen. It was a once in 100year or so Earthquake which causes the problem. Yet technology is still prevailing and lives are not being lost from the Nuclear plants problems. Yes it is not over the situation is still serious but it is improving. If things keep going the way they are in Japan this will only show how nuclear power is safe. That earthquake was one of the worst natural disasters we will ever see.
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/Gener...=B1&Id=1610643

Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Solar power generators + hurricane = Lights out!

Nuclear is the way to go in Florida. To flat for hydroelectric, no geothermal, to pristine an area to want to burn coal in, but maybe, just maybe, we could figure out a way to put those alligators to work.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Harness the hot air of the politicians and power Miami into the next Millennium.

If our cars ran on bean and rice, there would be no gas shortage in Miami.

We could put all the homeless on tread mills like Gerbils, and have the Hookers charge an excise tax to fund R&D.

We could cut back by turning off city lights and only driving on full moons.

There is a lot of wasted energy printing and distributing publications in English.

Nothing will change from the status quo until there are financial gains to be had by those who have a strong arm on our utility system. They are not likely to crap in their own lunch box whether it's good for us or not and the Nuclear Industry lobby is as strong as the NRA and has just as big guns.

Don't wear your radioactivty on your shirt sleeves, it's the new black and only last 90,000 years and maybe by that time Nuclear power will be out of fashion. Until then, put tight leans on it and a graphic t-ee and call it a "today".

Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 AM

221 posts, read 453,283 times
Quote:
Alt energy cannot proliferate in current political conditions. Its potential has not been realized due to the economy and close political ties with the energy industry. Solar farms in the SW US have great potential.

....did everyone already forget about what happened in japan last month? And the following onslaught of concern for nuclear safety worldwide? Yes, its very safe...until reality hits!
Ok, so let's just open 100 coal burning power plants to make up for the power produced by Turkey Point.

btw, I leave my faucet on when I brush my teeth. On purpose.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
blue: must be nice being rich

Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
blue: must be nice being rich
I was going to say ignorance is bliss.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Unless we all bought a cow and ran our house on methane from flatulence, there are no good alternatives. Not only is there no viable option, there is no money for retooling.

I don't think even Miamians can argue there are not risks, but let the power go down and even the treehuggers would be singing another melody.

There was something on Natgeo a few weeks back about the birth defects around Chernobyl. It was one of those shows you couldn't watch and I have to think Japan may be in a similar situation some day. We get it...but to say close down Turkey Point without an alternative is just not realistic.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
speaking of turkey point. arent we just one really bad drought from meltdown? they get all their cooling water from the canals

Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post

btw, I leave my faucet on when I brush my teeth. On purpose.
Funny you say that. Did you know about 1% of water usage in the United States is home domestic use. 1%!! And people tell use to turn our sinks off and take short showers. Please homes are not the ones using all the water. Industry and Agricultural is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Unless we all bought a cow and ran our house on methane from flatulence, there are no good alternatives. Not only is there no viable option, there is no money for retooling.

I don't think even Miamians can argue there are not risks, but let the power go down and even the treehuggers would be singing another melody.

There was something on Natgeo a few weeks back about the birth defects around Chernobyl. It was one of those shows you couldn't watch and I have to think Japan may be in a similar situation some day. We get it...but to say close down Turkey Point without an alternative is just not realistic.
Currently Japan is no where near a Chernobyl situation. Things are improving there so hopefully it will stay that way and it looks like it will. But as you said there are no alternatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
speaking of turkey point. arent we just one really bad drought from meltdown? they get all their cooling water from the canals
Yes because a drought will take up all the water in Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean also. It does not need to be fresh water, just water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: