Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM

25 posts, read 33,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I'VE driven in Manhattan(Park Avenue) and you will appreciate Miami traffic after you experience that, as I felt for sure that Im was going to get hit by a cab.
New York doesn't have anywhere near the same traffic fatality rate per capita as the 305, why? People in NY drive aggressive, but they know how to drive. Miamians don't know how to drive and on that basis, they should not drive so aggressively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
I see people not using their turn signals, a Lexus in the emergency lane, and that's about it. Bad practice perhaps (as there was a fair distance between cars merging and those behind them), but crazy that video was not.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619inda305 View Post
Wrong.

Go to Los Angeles and drive that way. The cops will **** you without Vaseline. I've driven all over the US of A. Nowhere is as crazy as Miami my friend.

You're 100% right. I lived in LA for over 20 yrs and you don't see that kind of driving there because the freeways are highly patrolled by CHP.

You pull that and you're in trouble.

And try driving in CA with no car insurance and get pulled over for a traffic stop and see what happens.

You will be left on the side of the road as you wave bye-bye to your car which is off to the impound lot.

Not in FL, they get a ticket and keep driving.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM

96 posts, read 210,152 times
They can give you a ticket for no insurance (not "no proof insurance" which happens when you don't have the insurance card but are able to verify in the DMV system you have insurance) and let you be on your way? WTF!!??

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
I'm from San Diego, and I deal with the same level of stupidity every day. The only thing I noticed from your video, besides the irritating music was how scenic and beautiful the landscape and trees were, and that the Poincianas appeared to be nearly in full bloom --- oh, and how the drivers there don't use their turn signals much. Other than that, I drive 20x more aggressive than that every day. It's all about finding space and recognising when it's going to be filled. If you're in a lane that's moving, and the guy to right of you is coming up behind a slow car, then of course he's going to swerve in front of you into your lane. You don't need his turn signal to figure that out. Anticipate it and take evasive action.

In my game, speed is safety. Speed is manoeuverability. Speed gets me out of the way of an impending accident. Speed gets me around the flusterclucks and into the open parts of the freeway so I can secure all sides for any necessary manoeuvres. I never drive side to side with any car for any length of time, and when I do, I make sure I'm in their front quadrants. I generally drive in excess of 100mph every day I get behind the wheel. This is situation normal. I've been doing this for 22 years. I do it to stay sharp. You anticipate that people to the left of you are going to want to cut to the offramp so you get ahead of them before the situation arises. Psychology is 90 percent of the game, and having seen so many brands of stupidity and their telltale signs, there is very little unpredictability I find, even in the most "unpredictable" behavior unless they come at you from the wrong direction on an offramp. Turn signals play a very small role for me in predicting the behavior of the other drivers.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Miami is a lousy city, but that traffic is nowhere near dangerous. I have driven through Miami many times and never had an accident in 25 years.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago33 View Post
They can give you a ticket for no insurance (not "no proof insurance" which happens when you don't have the insurance card but are able to verify in the DMV system you have insurance) and let you be on your way? WTF!!??
Yes, driving without car insurance FL only gets you a ticket. If you don't pay the ticket eventually the license gets suspended.

But yes the drive off with just a ticket.

So they drive with no insurance and no license.

There is no incentive to have car insurance here for those who can't either afford it or don't feel the need to have it, they never lose possession of the car.

Amazing how in other states like CA when the car is taken to the impound lot the owner is able to come up with money for insurance in order to get the car back.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I'm from San Diego, and I deal with the same level of stupidity every day. The only thing I noticed from your video, besides the irritating music was how scenic and beautiful the landscape and trees were, and that the Poincianas appeared to be nearly in full bloom --- oh, and how the drivers there don't use their turn signals much. Other than that, I drive 20x more aggressive than that every day. It's all about finding space and recognising when it's going to be filled. If you're in a lane that's moving, and the guy to right of you is coming up behind a slow car, then of course he's going to swerve in front of you into your lane. You don't need his turn signal to figure that out. Anticipate it and take evasive action.

In my game, speed is safety. Speed is manoeuverability. Speed gets me out of the way of an impending accident. Speed gets me around the flusterclucks and into the open parts of the freeway so I can secure all sides for any necessary manoeuvres. I never drive side to side with any car for any length of time, and when I do, I make sure I'm in their front quadrants. I generally drive in excess of 100mph every day I get behind the wheel. This is situation normal. I've been doing this for 22 years. I do it to stay sharp. You anticipate that people to the left of you are going to want to cut to the offramp so you get ahead of them before the situation arises. Psychology is 90 percent of the game, and having seen so many brands of stupidity and their telltale signs, there is very little unpredictability I find, even in the most "unpredictable" behavior unless they come at you from the wrong direction on an offramp. Turn signals play a very small role for me in predicting the behavior of the other drivers.
Sorry guy, you may doing 100mph heading out on the 15 towards Las Vegas in the desert, you're not doing it in on the San Diego freeways.

Lived in Southern CA for over 20 yrs and CHP is all over the metro LA and San Diego.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry guy, you may doing 100mph heading out on the 15 towards Las Vegas in the desert, you're not doing it in on the San Diego freeways.

Lived in Southern CA for over 20 yrs and CHP is all over the metro LA and San Diego.
I guarantee you I am. You've overrated the power of the law. They are not omniscient.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM

25 posts, read 33,815 times
I don't think the video really captured the severity of what was going down. You'd really need cameras all over your car to capture that. The iPhone camera also doesn't really give you much of a sensation of speed, so it doesn't look as bad as it actually was. The drivers captured on film weren't just one offs. They caught my attention way before in the rear view, weaving in & out and tailgating. With a better camera, this might have been more effective. Just take my word that any of those idiots on that clip could have easily caused a fatal accident and that the police are never anywhere to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami