Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Like I said, your sense of humor is wilting. if you are so serious about the weather, then change it!
Do you have any ****ing idea what it takes to manipulate the planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
This is the sign of increased hurricane risk. The rainy season has not started because upper level winds are too strong for thunderstorms to develop. However, I remember June 1986 as being just as dry. That summer there were very few thunderstorms, but the rainy season did start in July. Right now we are the victims of strong high and low pressure systems that push winds to higher than normal speeds. The strong east winds push the heat away, making it seem cooler than normal.

In the true rainy season we start a day with cloudless skies, and totally still air. The sky then begins to cloud up, but the clouds barely move. Over time the moisture rises higher and contacts the ionosphere and you hear the thunder and see the lightning. Once the winds stop, the rain should start falling. By August I expect to be anticipating a big blow. Thankfully I have a new home to enjoy the storm in the highly unlikely event I get to enjoy the full force of a cat 3+ storm.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Dear MIAMI,

Sorry we borrowed your rain and didn't return it. We should have because we've had the rainiest, coldest spring we can remember. It's June 10th and 60 degrees out. It rained all of April and most of May. We're really sick of it. We'll return your rain to you just as soon as we can hitch a ride.

Love,
the Pacific Northwest
Since you seem to be taking on the bulk of the nuclear fallout from Japan I think we can let you slide.

SWFL and parts of Texas do have it bad.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Will someone stand up and be the next Ted Owens? (PK Man)

Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Here's one problem: See if you can find it as you look at the map.

Marine Weather : Weather Underground

Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This is the sign of increased hurricane risk. The rainy season has not started because upper level winds are too strong for thunderstorms to develop. However, I remember June 1986 as being just as dry. That summer there were very few thunderstorms, but the rainy season did start in July. Right now we are the victims of strong high and low pressure systems that push winds to higher than normal speeds. The strong east winds push the heat away, making it seem cooler than normal.

In the true rainy season we start a day with cloudless skies, and totally still air. The sky then begins to cloud up, but the clouds barely move. Over time the moisture rises higher and contacts the ionosphere and you hear the thunder and see the lightning. Once the winds stop, the rain should start falling. By August I expect to be anticipating a big blow. Thankfully I have a new home to enjoy the storm in the highly unlikely event I get to enjoy the full force of a cat 3+ storm.
My first year there, 2005, was very calm and seemed cooler than the other years. I remember, when I first got there, sitting in my apartment on the beach with the windows open thinking, "This is supposed to be a hot place to live? Really? What a joke."

And then we had Katrina, Rita and Wilma.

The following years it was HOT during this time of year, there were more storms and with exception of winter 2009, the water level was good. The winter of 2009 the water was low, pretty darn low but still not quite as bad as it is now. But the summer weather started on time and there were storms when there should have been. This year? Horrid.

I expect that you are right in regards to hurricanes. It's acting just like it did when I first moved to Miami.

Edit: Yes, the part I bolded in your comment, YES! That is exactly how it begins. The day is very still, stifling, you want to just pass out. You see refreshment trucks drive by with their pictures of ice and ice cold drinks and you start daydreaming and longing for an ice cube bath. And just when you think you can't take it anymore, the storm arrives. You are absolutely right.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:

(mostly) meteorological nonsense... should have just stuck with blaming global warming. Just being sarcastic, mind you. Correct about something though--it's the combination of global wind patterns combined with a little bad luck, which happens every few decades. Just like the massive tornado outbreak and flooding of the Mississippi.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:51 AM

245 posts, read 662,675 times
Last nite I could see the red glow from the Everglade fires from my condo in Brickell.....

Old 06-11-2011, 12:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It has been still today and I see the storms are forming. Your rain will be here! As for those that doubt my hurricane theory, Hurricane Expert Says Dry May Ominous Sign - Orlando Sentinel

Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
It has been still today and I see the storms are forming. Your rain will be here! As for those that doubt my hurricane theory, Hurricane Expert Says Dry May Ominous Sign - Orlando Sentinel
I see that they made that prediction for Hurricane Andrew...
Looks like the odds are 1:2 for The Big One.

Sounds sweet, it has always been my childhood dream to witness the destruction of the cesspool called Miami by a major hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami