Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 21,051 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My family (Husband, girl-3, girl-10 and son who stays in the summer age 9) will be relocating to the south FL area within the next 6 months. I would like to hear from the 30ish African-American crowd regarding areas to live that have 30ish black professionals w/families. We definately need a good public school system . We have a large extended family and will probably have constant guests so we need a house with at least 3000 square feet in a safe neighborhood. I would like to have a decent size yard. We do not want to be the only black people in the neighborhood nor do we want to be in the hood. A good mixture is what we are looking for. Coming from Indianapolis and looking forward to more outdoor life minus the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM

30,443 posts, read 23,903,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunformesoon View Post
Hello All!

My family (Husband, girl-3, girl-10 and son who stays in the summer age 9) will be relocating to the south FL area within the next 6 months. I would like to hear from the 30ish African-American crowd regarding areas to live that have 30ish black professionals w/families. We definately need a good public school system . We have a large extended family and will probably have constant guests so we need a house with at least 3000 square feet in a safe neighborhood. I would like to have a decent size yard. We do not want to be the only black people in the neighborhood nor do we want to be in the hood. A good mixture is what we are looking for. Coming from Indianapolis and looking forward to more outdoor life minus the snow.
I can tell you stay out of Overtown, stay out of Liberty City.

I lived in Miami for 6 years but don't have kids so don't know enough about the school systems...hopefully someone will come along and answer that for you.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:32 PM

535 posts, read 1,414,557 times
A house with a 3000 sq ft is very pricey in South Florida and even more in a decent neigborhood. Decent neigborhoods with that type of houses are Coral Gables, some parts of South Miami, some parts of Coconut Grove, Miami Lakes, Pinecrest, the Redlands (more for your buck for a big house), and some parts of Kendall... Miami is super expensive compared to Indianapolis and salaries don'y commessurate with the high cost of living like Indianapolis does. Just do research on reliable websites about how is living in Miami. Remember live here is not the same as visiting.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM

535 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I can tell you stay out of Overtown, stay out of Liberty City.

I lived in Miami for 6 years but don't have kids so don't know enough about the school systems...hopefully someone will come along and answer that for you.
School system in Dade County is a joke. I attended Middle and High School in Miami and I didn't like it, teachers didn't care about students. I heard many times, "I don't get paid enough to baby sit you...", we know your salaries are low, but don't spit it on my face either...

Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 21,051 times
I have scoped the home prices. We would like to stay just under $400,000.00 and we will be paying cash maybe not the entire amount but definately 80% of it will be in cash. That is the only reason we are going to move there. Without the cash option we would move to Charlotte or Atlanta. I am just not sure about neighborhoods.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 PM

250 posts, read 698,280 times
My suggestion would be the Pembroke Pines area. Really nice mix of divercity when I lived there and everything you could want close by. Plenty of nice places in your price range... Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,396,828 times
I'd agree with looking at Broward County. Unfortunately there aren't really any black neighborhoods that are above the lower middle-class level in Miami-Dade County, and even then they're going to be within the boundaries of bad schools.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,876,861 times
op im going to type this as honest and as non rude as i can while being drunk as fuc.... judging form your post you are coming to miami with a racist and bigot view.. im im typing as sopber as possible., what is wrong with getting a view from a non black person or living in a non black area.. and when i say dont ever make a post liek that gain, im mean bro, never again bro.

only solid middle class area in south floirda is miramar.. doral as soem blacks but few.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 AM

166 posts, read 376,284 times
I'd agree that Pinecrest & Redlands for value and might fit your needs. South Florida is quite a culture difference from Indianapolis, so prepare yourself for quite a ride. I hope you've done your homework & made your visits, SF is an unforgiving environment for the ignorant. Best of luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 AM

888 posts, read 891,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I didn't like it, teachers didn't care about students. I heard many times, "I don't get paid enough to baby sit you...", we know your salaries are low, but don't spit it on my face either...
They are not paid to baby sit with you.
So what if they confirmed it to you.
A non-baby should be mature enough to deal with it.
It's true that there are a lot of teachers who have no business teaching, due to the fact that they "lack knowledge", but I would say there is no scarcity of non-coopoerative students.
Maybe you were not such an angel at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami