Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM

73 posts, read 119,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Just like there is commercials about Golden Corral and not having any in Miami only in Homestead. I have to travel all the way down there to enjoy the delicious ribs .
Not sure what's closer for you, but I know I've seen a Golden Corral in Pembroke Pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Also remember that LA is huge, so any place is "busy" anytime. When I went in the line was maybe 10 people long, I sat down and half way through eating there was no line. That is just the nature of fast food. In N Out seemed as busy as the Jack in The Box and other fast food places I went to at random times in San Diego and LA...and even the McDonalds (yuck) I went to were crazy at off times. All I'm saying is, people see it as a Cali brand and have fond memories of it, so it is a nostalgic thing. People build up their local brands in general (think Pollo Tropical for us, which failed when it tried to move into the Orlando market years back) and are still loyal to them if they relocate and the company expands to their new area. People who are not familiar with it and have heard the hype will want to try it, but honestly it was alright...but not earth shattering and most people will have that kind of impression if they aren't from Socal or ignore hype. In N Out may be the favorite place for fast foodies in Socal, but they are limited in what they do good and there is a lot of competition around nationwide...and many other chains are just as fresh, reasonable priced, offer good service and are easily accesible...so without devout followers, their brand will have a lot of copetition once the newness of it wears off in distant markets.
ill say the quality of the meat is easily better when compared to McD's or BK and i dont feel bleh or bad after eating one. yeah there is some nostalgia over it. i think you can readily compare the cult following in-n-out has as being just like white castle's cult following. in fact socal people love to visit white castle when they visit areas that have it because theyve heard so much about the sliders. they typically arent disappointed either.
i really enjoyed white castle when work made me go to minneapolis in january. seriously though, pollo tropical would be ridiculously successful if they tried a store in socal. theyre probably terrified due to all the competition thats out there but there are very few offerings of caribbean cuisine out there. it would be perceived as exotic and healthy. they would clean up bigtime.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
There's a Red Robin near just north of Naples right off 75.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM

17 posts, read 41,891 times
I loved Carl's Jr. when I went to school in California so I always regretted their absence in Miami. They bought out Hardees and made it the eastern equivalent, as another poster noted, but the nearest one seems to be Ft. Myers. Too bad.

At least we finally got Steak & Shake down here five-six years ago. I had to hear about that one forever from Ohioans, etc. There's only one AFAIK, across from the Walmart off Kendall and 157th. IMO the "steakburgers" are nothing special but the shakes are quite good.

What I miss is the absence of Olive Garden in Kendall. There used to be more in Dade, including across from the Falls. Now the Flagler one is the only one south of Aventura, and that's not very convenient.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM

399 posts, read 728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122014471311 View Post
I loved Carl's Jr. when I went to school in California so I always regretted their absence in Miami. They bought out Hardees and made it the eastern equivalent, as another poster noted, but the nearest one seems to be Ft. Myers. Too bad.

At least we finally got Steak & Shake down here five-six years ago. I had to hear about that one forever from Ohioans, etc. There's only one AFAIK, across from the Walmart off Kendall and 157th. IMO the "steakburgers" are nothing special but the shakes are quite good.

What I miss is the absence of Olive Garden in Kendall. There used to be more in Dade, including across from the Falls. Now the Flagler one is the only one south of Aventura, and that's not very convenient.
Yeah, I loved Carl's Jr. when I lived in L. A., really miss it I have gone to a Hardees when I was in Champaign, IL a few years ago (I was living out there when they first opened one there in 1973!) I'm planning to go out to L. A. next spring, so I will definitely hit up Carl's Jr (hope they still have the Old Time Star!)

I never went to In-n-Out during the whole time I lived in SoCal (20+ years), but I will go to the one by LAX, mainly so I can sit outside and watch the planes land on the north runways.

Re: Steak-n-Shake, I think the Kendall location is the only one in Dade, but in Broward, there's one in Davie, on University Dr north of Stirling (by the Super Target), and another one in Sawgrass Mills. There used to be one in Pembroke Pines, in that shopping center on the south side of Pines Blvd, east of Hiatus Road, but it closed.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122014471311 View Post

there is one within spitting distance of me in homestead (olive garden)

Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
there is one within spitting distance of me in homestead (olive garden)
Did not know that. Thank you! Although now that I know you've been spitting around there...

Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
Yeah, I loved Carl's Jr. when I lived in L. A., really miss it I have gone to a Hardees when I was in Champaign, IL a few years ago (I was living out there when they first opened one there in 1973!) I'm planning to go out to L. A. next spring, so I will definitely hit up Carl's Jr (hope they still have the Old Time Star!)
Sadly, I think the Old Time Star is gone. Likewise the California Roast Beef.

I was in Las Vegas for a month this spring and ate at Carl's Jr. several times. Some standbys remain, like the Famous Star and Super Star. Otherwise you've got plenty of 6 Dollar Burger options and several turkey and teriyaki versions.

Still good but doesn't feel quite the same. A couple of their restaurants in Las Vegas had recently closed, including the one I normally frequented, across the street from UNLV.

Most of all, I miss the bucket size milkshake. That was an awesome discovery when I attended college in Los Angeles. I had to have one every day. I remember taking a bus back to Miami one summer and the guy in the next seat joined me in purchasing a Carl's shake in Riverside. He managed only an ounce or two before being overwhelmed. So I inherited his shake, two bath tubs for the price of one. What a great day.

Now the Carl's shake is a pathetic small homestyle version with whipped cream and a little peep hole in the plastic top. Disgusting. Carl's Jr. is supposed to be quantity, not quality.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM

389 posts, read 1,084,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Just like there is commercials about Golden Corral and not having any in Miami only in Homestead. I have to travel all the way down there to enjoy the delicious ribs .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeee View Post
Not sure what's closer for you, but I know I've seen a Golden Corral in Pembroke Pines.

Yes, there is one in P. Pines but I would not recommend it. We went once for breakfast and aside from there being a horrible stench by where they set up the scrambled eggs, the place looked disgusting! The ceiling which was supposed to be white was black with what looked like dust and mold.

I don't know how health officials have not shut that location down.

We haven't gone back since.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Not to hijack the whole discussion from Miami to SoCal, but what I really miss is Tommy's. Why can't they go national, or at least come to Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami