Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr021505 View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Florida and I applied for a couple nursing jobs Palmetto General in Hialeah. This is not my first choice of places to apply, but I couldn't not apply for this job since it was exactly what I wanted. I was just curious what the area is like. I would much rather be in Fort Lauderdale than Miami. Any information would be great. Thanks!
Exactly where are you coming from? Hialeah might be shocking to you, but then again so may many parts of Miami-Dade, especially if you would rather be in Ft. Lauderdale.
But to answer your question about safety, I would say it's quite safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuaname View Post
Miami Lakes would be a better choice to live in... Someone mentioned Miramar? You better check the demographics there beforehand

Do you have a source for that info? I'd be interested in reading more on this analysis. Seems to be opposite of the demographics, lifestyle, income levels that wikipedia indicates.

Then again, SW 87 Ave and west was forest as well, but that's not Hialeah... and NW 25 street in Doral was all farm land, as well... Welcome to progress...

While the Americans sat on their ass/es before the Cubans got here and built businesses and created jobs for people such as yourself to work for them.. lol
All you need to do is drive through "Doral" and see that is is nothing but a bunch of segregated developments dumping on inadequate main roads. There are no nice homes, no attractions other than the 1960's Doral country club. Yes there are modernist office parks like the former Koger Center ( was beautiful) and a lot of old zoned industrial/commercial land that made the area economically viable. However, never forget that residential development there came after the 70's, when the goal became cramming as many per square foot as possible. Hialeah has a lot of that influence as well, as the immigrants that moved there had very low expectations. Miami Lakes was built on Graham cow pastures and supposed to be a "main street" suburban community, While the most recent development is a bit crammed, the older areas are very much suburban and have actual trees.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Even in "safe" areas where ugliness is the norm, like Sweetwater, Hialeah, Palm Springs, Kinloch Park and the like have some nice homes mixed in. Long time family friends have homes in all those areas and they contrast their well-kept homes with green lawns, trees, flowers, etc with concrete yards and iron bars. None of them have experienced more than average crime. The biggest problem seems to be complaints from neighbors who are allergic to yard work and offended by vegetation.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 AM

48 posts, read 145,620 times
I would be moving from WI...I've been to Miami Beach a couple times and spent a little time in Miami, which is how I know it isn't where I would really want to be.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Well overall you will not like Hialeah if you don't even like Miami beach very much. Good luck with your job search.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Quote:
Miami Lakes would be a better choice to live in... Someone mentioned Miramar? You better check the demographics there beforehand
l
When I mentioned Miramar I meant western parts of Miramar and Pembroke Pines,both of which are at least in my opinion much better than a Doral or most of Miami lakes.If I was the OP I would look into these areas or anywhere in western Broward along I-75,a little bit further but nicer areas.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:46 AM

48 posts, read 145,620 times
I loved visiting both Miami and Miami Beach, just not someplace that I would like to live. Always fun to visit, but nice to be able to leave.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:

While the Americans sat on their ass/es before the Cubans got here and built businesses and created jobs for people such as yourself to work for them.. lol
With that kind of attitude perhaps you should go (back?) to Cuba. If you're the type that's so mighty and powerful that you "made Miami" what it is, it's obvious you're not the hotshot you think you are considering you let Fidel trample all over you in the 50's, 60's and even today. Without the US you would be stuck in the mountains of Cuba bowing to Raul and Fidel whenever they said to do so.

I wouldn't go around bragging about Hialeah, or even Doral for that matter. Hialeah is a cesspool and Doral has major problems in front of it, namely density and transportation.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Comming from Wisconsin, all of Dade County will be a culture shock, so I would say look into Miami Lakes. You will be shocked at the "ghetto" culture here...but how can I say this...in the Hialeah area...much as preppy may be the "in" thing in the Midwest, here, ghetto emulation is the norm. So don't think we were crazy recommending you Miami Lakes and you get there and you see teens and adults in baggy clothes, wearing huge jewlry, pimped out cars...that is very common throughout the county.

Miami Lakes is decent enough, Doral is too but it is farther and sort of a glorified version of Hialeah...but again, these areas aren't unliveable, but overcrowding is the root of the other problems that the entire region faces.

You will probably experience culture shock based on: languages, beliefs, behavior, social norms, ghettoness, lack of empathy...but the good news is, knowing this beforehand, you can adapt. I don't want to scare you off, you may end up liking all the craziness and liveliness of NW Miami Dade, it's certainly not a boring place to live. But unless you are really comming prepared for so much shock, you probably will want an area closer to the coast in SE Broward or NE Miami Dade, near Aventura. The commute will be worse...but those areas are more diverse with a broader spectrum of people from different pats of the world. Farthur west it's essentially Latin American families and it can be hard to break into the cultural circles depending on your background and language skills, especially if you have no ties (family or friends) to the area.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM

Why does everyone seemed compelled to recommend Aventura? Sure, it's affluent, but it's quite trafficky. I am sure the rent is expensive and if it's affordable it must be a tiny studio with not much of a view. The mall is awesome but then again who moves to an area just because of the mall. Maybe Aventura is right along the coast but its not like you can just walk across the street and BAM you're swimming with the fish. And are those Aventura area "social circles" easier to break into than the Latin American social circles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami