Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

Advertisements

i was horribly unprepared in wilma and we paid for it. now all our camping supplies double as hurricane supplies.
we were pretty miserable after wilma. completely unprepared and expected things to come up as fast as after katrina and we were very wrong. i am wholly at fault.
i still wouldnt give up the experience for anything though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
They didn't cancel classes at UM for Irene '99, so I ended up on the metrorail during the major rainband and driving the rest of the way home a half hour before the eyewall. US1 was never so clear on a weekday afternoon, though I had to swerve around a few palm tree branches. I was on the roof during the "eyewall" The wind and rain were like a really bad, slow-moving thunderstorm, but there was no lightning. Looks like this year's Irene isn't going to be as fun, which is good since it's looking like a cat-3 this time around.
Funny you mention that, a professor of mine (at UM Law) told us how a a few years ago, (maybe he meant 10) some UM employees etc.. were almost killed because they did not cancel classes. I think they use a bit more caution now. I think if there is a hurricane warning for SE Florida schools etc.. will be closed even if it looks like it does not hit. The later it makes the turn the greater a chance for a hurricane warning. But for now I say maybe we will get some tropical storm force feeder bands which really is nothing for us. We need the rain anyway.

As for the track not much change. I been looking at it closely I dont like where they say the storm will make its sudden turn north but still head more to the west in one of the tracks. I think it may come a bit closer to us. We will see if it weakens while it is near the coast of the DR. If it does it will go a bit more west. Only time will tell.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
What I would hate is the flooding as I wear an artificial leg and they are not very conducive to water.
I don't understand the love for hurricanes and feel they should never be taken as a joke because they are very serious and can ruin many lives. We have to remember Irene might hit here and then sometime next month another with a greater magnitude comes so to add to the already devastation.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
One guy in Coral Springs was killed when he went out DURING the hurricane because a neighbor told him that a tree had just landed on one of his cars. It was a car he had just purchased for his wife...so he goes outside, DURING the storm to look at it? And while he was out there, another tree fell on him.
A good friend of my cousin's went outside to have a cigarette during Charley and a tree fell on him and killed him.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Went to one the big warehouse clubs today and I actually think Miamians are preparing for this storm. Water was almost gone, the good toilet paper was all gone and lots of people with water in their carts. Now lets just hope this storm brushes by us. If you didn't put your hurricane plan together and prepare in June, take this time to get some things.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM

hoarding toilet paper is nothing unusual for me. many of the same goods you'd hoarde for hurricanes i hoarde as a hedge against potential layoffs.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Went to one the big warehouse clubs today and I actually think Miamians are preparing for this storm. Water was almost gone, the good toilet paper was all gone and lots of people with water in their carts. Now lets just hope this storm brushes by us. If you didn't put your hurricane plan together and prepare in June, take this time to get some things.
I went today too and saw the same thing. The water side was empty and they only had some expensive water, Parmalat milk gone, long gas lines. They still had can food though but it will probably be gone if the storm doesn't move more to the East.

I know in 2004 or 2005 I couldn't find water anywhere and I went to Sedanos and found it there. I might go there tomorrow

Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I went today too and saw the same thing. The water side was empty and they only had some expensive water, Parmalat milk gone, long gas lines. They still had can food though but it will probably be gone if the storm doesn't move more to the East.

I know in 2004 or 2005 I couldn't find water anywhere and I went to Sedanos and found it there. I might go there tomorrow
reverse osmosis unit for the win!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
I'm convinced none of FLorida will be affected therefore I'm not stocking up on items.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I'm convinced none of FLorida will be affected therefore I'm not stocking up on items.
i havent really either. nothing beyond what i usually have on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami