Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i havent really either. nothing beyond what i usually have on hand.
Same here I have my water, and batteries. Hell our ferocious thunderstorms knock power out and cause tornadoes and etc so again I'm not preparing until the I know a storm is coming for Florida. That track is moving further further eastward and that frontal boundary will carry it away from Florida.

I should take heed because just like in 04 when Charley took a turn that Friday Night we didnt have anything and Orlando was hell that Saturday, but this storm has a VERY WIDE Projected path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And some of those people died from their own stupidity. I documented this hurricane, (Wilma), because it was my second "major" one after Katrina, (which was a joke in FL).

I had my Gilligan radio and because I had no power, I wrote my friend a long letter that went on for days...nothing else to do.

Some of these people were killed when they went out AFTER the storm, to look at damage and ran in to debris on the road or debris fell on to their car. One guy in Coral Springs was killed when he went out DURING the hurricane because a neighbor told him that a tree had just landed on one of his cars. It was a car he had just purchased for his wife...so he goes outside, DURING the storm to look at it? And while he was out there, another tree fell on him.

Some people died because they either put their generators in their homes or just outside the windows DESPITE REPEATED WARNINGS not to do those very things.

So, let's not get out of control here thinking that those who enjoy hurricanes enjoy death...stupid people are going to do stupid things and kill themselves, hurricane or not.

I happen to enjoy hurricanes. Like I said, Katrina was a joke. I laughed through that one, my very first hurricane. Rita...not even worth mentioning. Wilma...a little scary, my first hurricane season but it still wasn't that bad. I found it to be very exciting and frankly, if people PREPARE and don't do stupid things, they have a higher likelihood of surviving the thing.

Wilma may have been a Cat 5...in Central America but not in Miami. It was a Cat 2.

Further, BlueBlueBlue, I'm afraid that you won't get your wish about people having to be nicer. After Wilma, the power was out and that included the stop lights. I lived on the beach at an intersection and instead of people following the rule of one person goes at a time from each section, people pushed and shoved and clawed their way through that intersection and the honking was 300 times worse than it is, normally.

Further, no one bothered to prepare. Within hours people were crying and moaning for the government to come save them and give them ice and water. Give me a break.

That was my first season, I had known I was moving to FL so before I even moved I bought a wind up radio, batteries, a flashlight, candles, lighters, matches, etc.

I listened and followed advice given about what foods to store, fill up old water bottles 3/4 of the way with water as well as Ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. The week of, before Wilma, I ate for dinner what was in the freezer, saving what was in the pantry IN CASE we lost power. I filled the bathtub up, just in case. I got cash out of the bank and I also filled up my car with gas. I didn't need a thing until about two weeks after the hurricane. Which, by that time, things were back up and running and returning to normal.

But these people could not take care of themselves for 12 hours? REALLY?!

I'm not talking about elderly or disabled, these were perfectly able bodied people who refused to help themselves and would sit in ice/water lines for hours, with the car on, (and the weather after Wilma was pleasant, no need for a/c), and then ran out of gas while sitting in that line for ice and water and then bitched and moaned about running out of gas...

No, sorry, you're going to get the exact opposite of what you hope for. You think those people are cut throat now? Watch what happens after another Cat 3 or higher.
Some employers are not very flexible and make their employees work when there is already tropical storm winds. Some people are afraid to lose their jobs

Only the crazy or those who haven't been here through a major storm wish to see a major storm. Katrina was no joke for some of us, my house flooded, I had roof damage and I was without power for two weeks during the hottest days of summer. With Wilma I was without power for 4 hours when most people were without power for weeks. Just because it didn't go through your area it doesn't mean it wasn't destructive or inconvenient
Andrew was hell, many people died and no one was expecting a category 5 storm

It's funny how the same people who spend hours bashing Miami residents calling then insenstive self centered and rude, those same people are the ones who find hurricanes thrilling and really don't care If people die or not, just because they never been through a strong storm. Ok......

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Oh goody, it's Princess back to rag on every post I make. How are you Princess? It's been so long.

I'm going to go along with Cixcell and UNAPOLOGETICALLY ANNOUNCE THAT I LOVE HURRICANES!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh goody, it's Princess back to rag on every post I make. How are you Princess? It's been so long.

I'm going to go along with Cixcell and UNAPOLOGETICALLY ANNOUNCE THAT I LOVE HURRICANES!!!!!!!!!
Well say that to all the people who had family members dies during storms

You might think it's funny and that you sound cool but I have been posting on this board for a while and know for a fact some posters know people who died during hurricanes. Let's hope when tragedy hits your family or area you don't see others enjoying your misfortune.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Well say that to all the people who had family members dies during storms

You might think it's funny and that you sound cool but I have been posting on this board for a while and know for a fact some posters know people who died during hurricanes. Let's hope when tragedy hits your family or area you don't see others enjoying your misfortune.
oh princess. how i've missed you!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I was at an intersection on Bird Road once when the traffic light didn't work, you would have thought the world was ending, common sense out of the window. It is amazing how so many people cannot grasp such simple things such as what to do when a traffic light is out.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Wilma was awesome because although a tree fell through the roof of my parent's home, I had the damage fixed and the tree removed the same day. That tree was cut up into blocks and dried to fuel the generator. We had 300 gallons of filtered vegetable oil so transportation was not a problem. My friends in the Miami area were coming over for ice, because the lines at miami-dade college were long and they had a fist fight too. It was so relaxing when the hurricane passed, due to the cold front. However, after Katrina we enjoyed full power from the generator as well as air conditioning, which only a few had on their generator.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
If you live on a grid close to a grocery store, or gas station, you get your power back first.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you live on a grid close to a grocery store, or gas station, you get your power back first.
That's good to know!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
I live right next to 3 shoppong malls with a gas station. I guess I'm blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami