Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,788 times

Advertisements

Well, I have a job offer working on the miami airport improvement. We have been in Atlanta for 20 years and now we are looking at change. Where is the place to live? I have seen it all over the board. People wanting to leave FL. what gives? Is 90K enough to live on? North or South? I need some data if anyone can help that would be great! Truly Confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 PM

110 posts, read 438,721 times
do not listen to many guys here. they just want make your life miserable because they are so.
the best is to visit and see for yourself. everybody will tell you their experience which is far from the truth. it is just theirs. that means that is a fact. and the truth is somewhere else but nobody can find it but you for yourself

Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks! I am trying to make the right choice.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,480 times
I just moved back down here from Atlanta myself (well Lawrenceville to be exact.) Miami's very different from Atlanta. You wont get that small town feel here, its very much a big city attitude.

You'd be working in MIA? Dade county can be pretty crazy. How far are you willing to commute? I would suggest Broward County if you dont mind the drive.. coming from Atlanta I'm sure youre used to a longer commute anyway. Broward's a much nicer area than Dade (where MIA is).

Old 08-20-2007, 09:29 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Whether $90k is enough depends on how many people you need to support, your financial position with respect to housing, and spending habits and other lifestyle expectations. You mention "we", but who is "we"?

Certainly if you are single and rent you will be able to save on $90k. Anything short of that requires more details.

In turn, your financial position with respect to housing, as well as lifestyle expectations, may also determine your choice of where to live. One of Miami-Dade's best neighborhoods, for example, is Coral Gables which is relatively close to MIA.

Some of the better neighborhoods in Broward County are in the southwest, Miramar and Pembroke Pines in particular are reasonably close to the airport.

All the best!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 23,574 times
Default Best Area to live

I've been here for 18 years & here are my picks...
The best area to live in my view, if you work at MIA, could be:
1. Coconut Grove, North or South Grove better than the Center (old artist small village, now more entertainment than art)
2. Coral Gables (upscale, mainly Hispanic population)
3. South Miami (Young couples, many kids & schools)
4. Brickell (If you like condo living & close to downtown).
All 4 areas above are pretty close to each other and to your work
Anywere else is a zoo... including the M.Beach.

90K should be OK, if you are alone. Don't go in Broward County, as suggested, you will make your life miserable with the commute and unless you like to live in a planned community with picked fences-everyone looks the same.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM

There are just two of us and the dog. The current commute in the morning is 30+ minutes and the eveing is 1hr. The airport has two phases of construction coming up and this will takes up unitl the end of 2008. Hoping to stay longer if there are more jobs.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,817 times
Once again, I recommend Miami Springs, which is on the north border of MIA. It is the closest thing you will get to a small-town feel in Miami. A small house will start in the 350K range. It will be a 5-20 minute commute depending where you will be working at MIA. I don't recommend renting an apartment there, but you might be able to find a small house to rent with a yard for the dog. No idea about the price for that, though.

Before Eastern Airlines folded, Miami Springs was a big airline industry residential community, as Eastern was the 2nd largest employer in the county. Lots of pilots and airport employees lived there. Flight attendants used to live in the rental apartments in earlier days (1950's-60's, I believe). In fact, Miami Springs was founded in 1923 by a pioneering aviator, Glenn Curtiss. There's a lot of aviation and airport history in Miami Springs, thanks to Curtiss and its proximity to MIA. Just a little MS trivia for ya there.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami