Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 80,085 times

Advertisements

What’s up folks? I am a young professional male looking to move to Miami and wanted some guidance on where to live. I have a rent budget of $2k/ month (high end). I am single, so anything above 800 sq feet works for me.

Wish List:
1. Relatively safe area: just want to be able to walk home from a local bar w/o getting mugged
2. Fun area: I want to go out and hit hot spots on the weekends, but be able to get to bed early during the week (so no 24-7 party areas)
3. Close to beach & public parks/nice views

I already have a job where I can work from home. However, I need to be relatively close to at least one airport. Ideal location would be equidistant to Miami Int’l and Ft. Lauderdale Int’l airports

Questions:
I’ve heard Brickell, Design District, Bal Harbor, and North Miami Beach as possible locations. I also heard South Beach, but that’s too touristy for me. Any thoughts on those areas?

Where would you live based on this wish list?

Also, I was a Spanish minor, but haven’t spoken the language in about 5 years. Can I get by?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Brickell, hands down.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Brickell, hands down.
Agreed! That is where all the educated, young professionals are going. Very safe area, you can walk or take the metromover to plenty of places. Great views. Will need a car or take a bus to the beach.

North Miami Beach, Bal Harbor are no goes. Old people/familes or just not that great.

Miami Beach is not that touristy still plenty of locals there and even the tourist are not the "typical" tourist like in the Bahamas or something. At least a decent amount of them are not. Alton Road area of Miami Beach is not touristy at all yet pretty close to all the action Miami Beach has as Miami Beach is a pretty small place. If Brickell is a bit over the price range Downtown Miami just North of Brickell (well Brickell is part of Downtown just a different neighborhood than "Dowtown") is fine too. A little bit less going on but still pretty safe and a short walk with a friend or ride on the metromover during busy hours to brickell. Or an extremely short cab ride or drive at any time.

Also if you want very easy urban/suburban mix Midtown Miami is decent but the actual development called "midtown." You can live right next to many restaruants which have some good bars and shops. Pizza, sit down, take out, bagels, burgers, target, petsmart etc.. It is a pretty decent place, a little self sustained community. I live a 2min drive away I am there often.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 PM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Hialeah, hands down! LOL. Brickell Sir/Mam Brickell is the place for the professional youth.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 80,085 times
Thanks everyone. Any recommendations for apartments in Brickell?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I agree with Brickell.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
The West Ave/Alton Rd. areas of South Beach are nice and not so touristy, also Collins Ave. in North Beach (note: NOT "North Miami Beach"). Depends how important the the beach is for you, versus a more "young professional" crowd--public transportation between the Beach and Brickell is SLOW, mostly people drive.... Don't expect to get over 800 square ft though, most of them are around 600 in these areas (assuming 1br).

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I concur with Brickell. As a young white guy in his 20's who didn't speak a lick of Spanish, Brickell was an awesome place to live. Most of the buildings are brand new or built in the last 10 years. You can find plenty of 1BR units under 2K. Make sure you pick and chose the best view.

Brickell is much better now even then when I used to live there. Back then, there were only a handful of bars and the buildings were at most 50% occupied. Now there are at least twice as many bars and the buildings are all 95% occupied. Its all young professionals. There is also a nice new Publix and the ultimate LA Fitness gym in Brickell.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
It's a shame that "signature" LA Fitness in Brickell doesn't have a pool, and they don't have courts either . I suppose you could take the Metrorail down to the South Miami location though. BTW most buildings in Brickell have a pretty nice gym built in (and pools), so you may not even need LA Fitness.

If walkability matters to you, go with one of the buildings near Mary Brickell Village/Miami Ave., and do not live east of Brickell Ave, which is not very pedestrian friendly. Avoid the Camden Apts. as it's overpriced and has thin walls, and charges extra for amenities.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
hurricaneMan1992-

How is living east of Brickell Avenue not pedestrian friendly? That is as pedestrian friendly as it gets. I think the bigger rule is do not live west of I-95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami