Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times

Advertisements

Read more: Miami takes up proposed development that would transform Coconut Grove - Coconut Grove - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/17/2505687/miami-city-commission-takes-up.html#ixzz1dyXuKXAx - broken link)

Thoughts on this? I have three issues. I do think affrodable housing should be made for some of the local residents. Also I hope this is a very pedestrian friendly place. Last Coconut Grove is one of the few areas of Miami that has some history, I hope this development in some way can keep it and use that history. I say its a good plan, good idea the area badly needs something to be done. All of the Grove has great potential due to its location close to Dowotown, Miami Beach and US-1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Read more: Miami takes up proposed development that would transform Coconut Grove - Coconut Grove - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/17/2505687/miami-city-commission-takes-up.html#ixzz1dyXuKXAx - broken link)

Thoughts on this? I have three issues. I do think affrodable housing should be made for some of the local residents. Also I hope this is a very pedestrian friendly place. Last Coconut Grove is one of the few areas of Miami that has some history, I hope this development in some way can keep it and use that history. I say its a good plan, good idea the area badly needs something to be done. All of the Grove has great potential due to its location close to Dowotown, Miami Beach and US-1.
Sounds good to me. I hope the current residents decide where they are going to live though, because they WILL be pushed out. I saw that happen in Williamsburg Brooklyn, Chelsea before it became posh, Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hills etc. It is what it is. They should do it like NYC though and have so many units set aside for low income (as you already mentioned). Also, any effort to make a area more dense NEEDS a mass transit component. I don't get why city of Miami doesn't understand that.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
I think it's a pretty good plan.

They should take one of the new trolleys and put it in the Grove. Just have one route from Douglas Road Metrorail to Coconut Grove Metrorail that goes along Grand, Douglas Road, McDonald, a portion of Bird and SW 27th.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I think it's a pretty good plan.

They should take one of the new trolleys and put it in the Grove. Just have one route from Douglas Road Metrorail to Coconut Grove Metrorail that goes along Grand, Douglas Road, McDonald, a portion of Bird and SW 27th.
Ouff, with the trolleys. we need real mass transit. *its a good short term solution though*

Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Ouff, with the trolleys. we need real mass transit. *its a good short term solution though*
Unfortunately the trolleys are a done deal (I think) so might as well put one to use where it could be used as opposed to the redundant Metromover following routes.

I think the Gables Trolley works so well because people don't look at it like a bus and there's a big stigma that comes with a bus.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately the trolleys are a done deal (I think) so might as well put one to use where it could be used as opposed to the redundant Metromover following routes.

I think the Gables Trolley works so well because people don't look at it like a bus and there's a big stigma that comes with a bus.
yeah, buses suck! thanks for the info!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Agree with all the comments. I really wish Dade County would get a street car system in place.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Enough of the White Elephant gentrification. This happens every time the Fed creates trillions of funny money. When the next financial panic happens this will fail. Stupid developers never learn.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
I think the Gables trolley gets used so well because it is a convenient route, it runs frequently, and it's free, so you don't pay $2 just to go a few blocks. I don't think it really matters if it's a "trolley" or a "bus." Look no further than the South Beach Local, which is a very successful local "bus" route.

If something like South Beach Local ran between Mercy Hospital-Cocowalk and the Metrorail, every 10 minutes, for 25-50 cents, it would be quite popular. Unfortunately, the new Miami trolley system is more likely to run a 15-30 minute schedule and cost you $1-2.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:14 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
It's not a trolley, it's a bus painted as a trolley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami