Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:36 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times

Advertisements

From Toronto and went to Calle Ocho in Miami in 2015 and I LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Miami in general was so so (no offense Miami resident's south beach was okay, but it ain't all that). Now Calle Ocho that was well worth the trip! There from 12 pm to 8 pm and loved every minute (would have been there at 11 am, but took too long getting ready). The music, the crowd and engery was amazing! Huge variety of cool entertainers. Too much to ever really take in during one day. I read some very mixed reviews regarding the event, but I have to say I go to many street festivals in my own city each year and this one was certainly one I would go to again and recomend to anyone regardless of age. I walked the full event like twice and there was stuff there for everyone. There was a mixed crowd from small kids to seniors who where all observed having a great time. The crowd was a mix of families, couples and freinds just hanging out. Top class entertainment in a large variety of styles. For those people who read other comments about people feeling unsafe I did not feel unsafe except when we where at the mega stage where the headliners were playing, but that was only because it was a huge crowd and I was with a child and like at any concert or event large crowds can be uncomfortable when popular bands start playing a some people start to rush the stage. We just move a bit more back and to the side and enjoyed the rest of the show in comfort. Even if we were not at Mega stage where I think the largest crowd was there were sooooooo many other things going on that I would have also really enjoyed. The hardest part of the day was choosing where to go because there were soooooooo many great options. Totally fun day and well put together event! Woud love to go again next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 02:13 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 PM

798 posts, read 1,461,183 times
Ho-hum.... Are you serious????? It was my first time too and the only thing I saw was a bunch of "chusma" wearing their flags as clothing walking around with strident icky music in every corner. Oh and everybody was doing "business" charging $10-30 dollars for a parking space in front of their houses 2 miles around. No way!!! You know there should be a law to prohibit this type of shady deals that it happens every time there is an event. Now the fare is $30. This is non sense.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,496,099 times
I only went once, back in 2006. Didn't find the hype about it, so i never went back. The only good thing about this festival is the fine women.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 AM

115 posts, read 206,505 times
Used to live around this area and every Calle Ocho day I would have to call off work and stay home because they would close off all of calle 8 and the buses would stop running through there. The entire day would be hectic because traffic from Coral Gables to Little Havana would be unbearable hence why I would need to call off most of the time. Drunk thugs would go and **** all over the place after the festival was done and/or just cause random ruckus. I hated Calle 8 days.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I would never go personally but glad to hear you had fun. I'd never make it out alive..

Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
Calle Ocho is one of the largest festivals in the world

In 1988, Guinness Book of World Records, the longest Conga line was formed with almost 120,000 people who made up this feat.

Little Havana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2015, 05:22 PM

564 posts, read 747,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
From Toronto and went to Calle Ocho in Miami in 2015 and I LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! ...
Never went but good to know some people enjoyed it.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:31 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,924 times
I Can't wait to finally go to calle ocho next year, it will be my first time.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:07 PM

400 posts, read 516,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Ho-hum.... Are you serious????? It was my first time too and the only thing I saw was a bunch of "chusma" wearing their flags as clothing walking around with strident icky music in every corner. Oh and everybody was doing "business" charging $10-30 dollars for a parking space in front of their houses 2 miles around. No way!!! You know there should be a law to prohibit this type of shady deals that it happens every time there is an event. Now the fare is $30. This is non sense.

Ha, ha, and more ha. Love the "chusma" reference, Mexican Slang for the lesser people. Some of the icky music was presented by Grammy Award recipients. There is no obligation to pay $30 por a parking spot, if You carry "PayByPhone" it is subsidized by the City and because of lower administrative cost, depending on the area is about 0.50 to 0.60 cents per hour, although for an event like that Metrobus is probably more convenient; and they don't simpply "stop running" during the event, it is easy to see on miamidade.gov/transit the re-routes for that day; it is a great event, for all ages. Except if You arrive already angry with the World, that could give diarrhea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami