Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Ha, ha, and more ha. Love the "chusma" reference, Mexican Slang for the lesser people. Some of the icky music was presented by Grammy Award recipients. There is no obligation to pay $30 por a parking spot, if You carry "PayByPhone" it is subsidized by the City and because of lower administrative cost, depending on the area is about 0.50 to 0.60 cents per hour, although for an event like that Metrobus is probably more convenient; and they don't simpply "stop running" during the event, it is easy to see on miamidade.gov/transit the re-routes for that day; it is a great event, for all ages. Except if You arrive already angry with the World, that could give diarrhea.
And you sure wouldn't want to go to Calle Ocho with diarrhea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Ho-hum.... Are you serious????? It was my first time too and the only thing I saw was a bunch of "chusma" wearing their flags as clothing walking around with strident icky music in every corner. Oh and everybody was doing "business" charging $10-30 dollars for a parking space in front of their houses 2 miles around. No way!!! You know there should be a law to prohibit this type of shady deals that it happens every time there is an event. Now the fare is $30. This is non sense.
Are you some kind of masochist? Why would you AngelScorpio go to la calle ocho festival? I wouldn't even go there and I don't have the issues with cubans that you have. I don't think it's any secret that most people who go there are low income hispanics.

When I first arrived to Miami the festival was taking place that week. I lived close to that area and even back then I was warned not to go there. And we are talking before Andrew, I can only imagine now days.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 AM

59 posts, read 243,328 times
I went during the first one, 77' I believe or perhaps 78' and it was kind of OK, noisy and some "chusmones", but passable. Charging for a parking space, that's quite generalized since the times of Orange Bowl.

Now it went bust, those people wearing flags, those are "antisociales", hard to describe.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:05 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
I love the way the men and women are dressed up at the 3-minute mark, this is the true flavor of the festival, definitely exciting block party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7zGEXCWls

Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 PM

798 posts, read 1,461,183 times
Default ...

Quote:
Ha, ha, and more ha. Love the "chusma" reference, Mexican Slang for the lesser people. Some of the icky music was presented by Grammy Award recipients. There is no obligation to pay $30 por a parking spot, if You carry "PayByPhone" it is subsidized by the City and because of lower administrative cost, depending on the area is about 0.50 to 0.60 cents per hour, although for an event like that Metrobus is probably more convenient; and they don't simpply "stop running" during the event, it is easy to see on miamidade.gov/transit the re-routes for that day; it is a great event, for all ages. Except if You arrive already angry with the World, that could give diarrhea.
I bet more than one got diarrhea with the anti hygienic food served everywhere. Maybe you didn't since you are accustomed to that type of food.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM

798 posts, read 1,461,183 times
Default ...Was a bad decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Are you some kind of masochist? Why would you AngelScorpio go to la calle ocho festival? I wouldn't even go there and I don't have the issues with cubans that you have. I don't think it's any secret that most people who go there are low income hispanics.

When I first arrived to Miami the festival was taking place that week. I lived close to that area and even back then I was warned not to go there. And we are talking before Andrew, I can only imagine now days.
I had never been since I am living here, but I read in the newspaper that the last year the thing had changed and than this year would be different.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,705 times
never saw the hype of it same thing goes with the 3 reyes mago crap, maybe cause i still live around here but the last time i went was just to pick up free swishers,

Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Excellent event! Fun crowds, great music and excellent food

I think to appreciate an excellent event like Calle Ocho you have to be a street festival person. This is not a debutant ball. You need to wear comfortable clothes and shoes. It is outdoors, crowded and hot. High parking costs and people selling illegal parking is normal at events like this anywhere. No one is going to drop you off by helicopter in to the middle of the event. Take public transit or better yet if you travelling to Miami for the event book a hotel in walking distance to the event. Regarding the comment about "chusma". That is the beauty of this type of event, it is for everyone. It is a street festival. People are dressed casually as this is what is appropriate. I wear a suit to work, but was wearing jeans shorts, a t-shirt, a baseball cap and flip flops. This is appropriate dress for this type of event. Regarding the comments about "food poisoning", this is just aslikely to occur as in most other places. So like when eating out anywhere you take your chances. In addition to thes treet venders there are regular restaurants to eat from. You are not going to starve. I did not observe any crazy dangerous food handling practices. Ate and enjoyed the food and had no problems. I think that it is a pretty ignorant misconception that people who prepare food for these events are handling food for this first time. Also if worried then choose foods that are a lesser risk to get spoiled. In short if you have a problem with Latinos or people with lower incomes you should probably avoid events intended for the public. I maintain I did not feel unsafe. I found everyone I came in contact with was super friendly and there to have a good time. I stayed right until the ends, am female and was with a child. Totally had no problems, did not observe any excessive amounts of drunk people or "thugs out to cause trouble" and the event was well policed. After all fun crowds, great music and excellent food is just not for everyone ! If you go to this type of event without a complex you will probably enjoy it better. If you have never been I would totally encourage you to go and maybe I will see you there next year! P.S. If you go to Toronto from late June to September don't leave without going to some of the many street festivals as this is a huge part of Toronto's summer vibe!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:03 PM

400 posts, read 516,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
I bet more than one got diarrhea with the anti hygienic food served everywhere. Maybe you didn't since you are accustomed to that type of food.
Indeed, I have been to Countries in South America, Asia, Europe, Central America, Taco places in Texas, Arizona and California, Mom and Pop eateries in Oregon, and it is called evolution, or vaccines if You prefer, our adaptation to the environment.

Thru your extensive Education, no doubt You've heard about Logic (not from the Movies) but in Philosophy and Argumentum Ad Hominem, where You attack the person instead of addressing the subject.

Perhaps that's why You feel "menaced to stop" as You declare in Miami Beach 411 forum (and another one).

Still surprising to me, how an individual, with such specific sentiments against a specific ethnicity, chooses to continue living in their midst.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Indeed, I have been to Countries in South America, Asia, Europe, Central America, Taco places in Texas, Arizona and California, Mom and Pop eateries in Oregon, and it is called evolution, or vaccines if You prefer, our adaptation to the environment.

Thru your extensive Education, no doubt You've heard about Logic (not from the Movies) but in Philosophy and Argumentum Ad Hominem, where You attack the person instead of addressing the subject.

Perhaps that's why You feel "menaced to stop" as You declare in Miami Beach 411 forum (and another one).

Still surprising to me, how an individual, with such specific sentiments against a specific ethnicity, chooses to continue living in their midst.
In Colombia street food is very common. I highly doubt Scorpio has not eating mangos or empanadas sold by street vendors.

The food would be the least of my worries. While I don't think everybody there is "chusma", I do think some of the people there are and I don't like to deal with that type of people unless I have to. I also think the same about the "colombian festival" and that one is not even free but some of the people you find there are superchusma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami