Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM

15 posts, read 150,989 times

Advertisements

Is there any part of Miami that's a good place to live? I'm a 21 year old male and I might be going to the University of Miami. All these people on here saying Florida as a whole and especially Miami is a horrible place are starting to make me reconsider.

Is there anywhere in Miami that's good to live?

Are there any big cities in Florida as a while that are good to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
There are no big cities in FL... we do have large suburbs though.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:56 PM

309 posts, read 619,783 times
of course there's good places to live in Miami and in the state of Fla. as a whole. just like anywhere else on the planet.

'good' or 'bad' is totally subjective - it all depends on you. Your own outlook, mindset, and life experience is what will shape your opinion about this place, or any place. what you read on the internet is just other opinions.

no way to know until you give it a try. before i moved here i came and stayed for a month to get the feel for it, i loved it, moved, and like it just fine.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 PM

So what about a Miami suburb? Are those okay to live in?

Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
If you take everything you read online seriously maybe you should reconsider going to school at all.

There are plenty of nice places to live. And all things consider Miami is a big city, it's one of the largest metro areas in the country. Top 50-60 in the world. Most out UM students live either near campus which is a nice upper class upper middle class area Coral Gables and South Miami. or in the Birckell and Downtown area which is a nice area also. A lot of young professionals live there and improving every day. Good nightlife, good public transportation in the downtown Birckell area. Of course there is always also Mia I Beach.
I would highly suggest if your going to go somewhere to visit the campus and city. Most students love Miami. If you were coming down here to start a family on a low to medium income job this would be a different story. But as a student you should love this city.

Google image Miami, go to the city of Miami Wikipedia page and tell me Miami is to a big city.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Miami has a lot of good areas but just like anywhere else they cost more. Places that are good to excellent are Coral Gables, most parts of Coconut Grove, Brickell, Roads, Pinecrest, South Miami, Palmetto Bay, east Kendall, most of west Kendall, Sunset area/Glenvar Heights, Miami Springs, Miami Shores, Miami Lakes, Doral, Morningside, eastern part of the upper east side, Miami Beach and the surrounding incorporated municipalities.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Lots of great places to reside in Miami. There are so many nice places, it is difficult to decide which one to live in.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM

But is it a good place to live? Am I going to be able to make it there? I know the economy isn't spectacular there, but it's pretty bad anywhere right now.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
The economy is great depending on what job skill you have and how mobile you are. Miami is a wonderful place to live, I would not want to live anywhere else in the US.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFisherman View Post
But is it a good place to live? Am I going to be able to make it there? I know the economy isn't spectacular there, but it's pretty bad anywhere right now.
You are only 21 years old. The world is your oyster.

If I was in your shoes, the question I would be asking is: how does the University of Miami fit with my academic/career plans? Is the school good in the field or fields you are most interested in purusing, etc? What are the scholarship options (if any) and how much is the education going to cost you vs. other schools you might be considering?

I do NOT live in Miami but I have been there enough times to tell you it is NOT a hellhole or a third world dump, as SOME posters would like you to believe.

It is a fun, interesting, and exciting city. A great place for a 21 yr old college student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami