Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 29,285 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a few houses in West Kendal off of Bird road. The houses are in far West Kendal. I'm not even really sure if this is considered Kendal. Enlighten me. I believe the name given to the housing area itself is Lakes of the Meadows. Area looks fairly nice. Any insight appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 02:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamibound View Post
We're looking at a few houses in West Kendal off of Bird road. The houses are in far West Kendal. I'm not even really sure if this is considered Kendal. Enlighten me. I believe the name given to the housing area itself is Lakes of the Meadows. Area looks fairly nice. Any insight appreciated.
Some people consider this area still Kendall. But many don't consider it Kendall, Miller Road or Sunset for some is the cut off on the northern boundary for Kendall. Maybe someone knows what the true boundary is on here.

All I can say it is way out there. 152 Ave and Bird Road is out there. Make sure you work out west. Or I hope you don't have to commute during rush hour traffic. Because coming from out there and working east is going to be a nightmare. My boss 6 years ago lived out there actually a little east of you on 137 Ave. And 6 years ago it took her an hour to just get to US1 and then she had another 30 minute commute north to downtown. Trust me she tried many different ways to get to downtown from out there and there is no good way. So I can only imagine what the commute time is today with all those new homes being built out there.

What part of the county will you be commuting to work?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Kendall's bounderies are very hazy...but I would say that south of Miller Rd. is Kendall, but once you pass the turnpike, the Kendallesk atmosphere spreads farther north to around Bird Road and even 8 St west of 137 Ave.

Traffic will be horrible, let's say it together, HORRIBLE. The other poster nailed it on the head, there are no good way to commute from the area.

Lake of the Meadows is more like a neighborhood within the area, and it is adjcent to where you mentioned...but not quite the same thing. Good reference point though.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 29,285 times
Default Homestead

I'm working in Homestead. So southbound in the mornings and northbound in the evenings. Going to work at about 5AM and departing around 5PM. I'm currently staying in Doral. The evening drive from Homestead isn't bad at all but I haven't driven on Bird Rd in the evenings yet.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Well at then your morning commute will be fine at 5 am. But your evening commute will be so so, the turnpike north will be fine, but once you get off the turnpike heading west it will slower.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
According to the Miami Herald, Lakes of the Meadow is considered West Kendall in their Neighbors section.
Can you get on that new section of hwy that takes you to 137th ave? My mom works in Brickell and lives in Lakes of the Meadow and connects to that new piece of hwy from the Dolphin I think. Not sure if you can hook up from the tnpk. She comes home later so the traffic isn't bad. In the morning (7ish) they take local streets all the way to Brickell. The drive takes a little more than an hour.
I'd have to be committed after a few days of doing that drive!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamibound View Post
I'm working in Homestead. So southbound in the mornings and northbound in the evenings. Going to work at about 5AM and departing around 5PM. I'm currently staying in Doral. The evening drive from Homestead isn't bad at all but I haven't driven on Bird Rd in the evenings yet.

sent you a PM

Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
Hi Miamibound,

I live in Lakes of the Meadows. It's considered West Kendall because we are on the far west side of Kendall and the Turnpike. I work in the Grove area and my commute during school time is about 1-1/2 hours each way. Now at 5am you should have no problem with traffic. 5pm does get a busier; but, patience or a book on CD is the best thing when dealing with the traffic.

The neighborhood is wonderful. We have our own elementary and middle schools, both A schools. We also have a recreation center and gym.

The commute from Homestead will not be bad. Miller is better than Bird Road. 147th and 152nd are also better than the turnpike.

The only problem is that if you are interested in buying a townhouse/condo make sure that your title company does a good title search as there has been a construction lawsuit pending and repairs have been going on for the past almost 2 yrs now. The houses I believe are fine.

Good Luck

Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Be very careful. Lakes of the Meadow is hurricane bait. I saw how those homes were built and it's very scary. I would not ever want to live in that area.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 PM

176 posts, read 647,076 times
I may be wrong...so don't hold it against me..but to me..137-139-142 ave and 8 st to bird road is more like the noveau riche cubanos that made it out of westchester/hialeah while west kendall boasts is more the newly arrived colombians and peruvians and their kids. I go through that neighborhood (which used to be the wilderness one would encounter on a "trip to the pit") and feel the gasps of the underbrush a few miles away. It's where a lot of "Kendallytes" (kids of the immigrants) who came of age moved to so they can be close to the freeway and away from the kendall madness. To the ones who originally posed the question on this thread...by all means find a house in east kendall or south miami or else you're going to find a situation kin to driving you head in a vice..even to someone who's not prejudiced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami