Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times

Advertisements

Hi Kristy - I just checked North Miami is incorporated, so they will not report their crime on this map, hence why you don't see crime in the area you are looking. The crime you do see just south of North Miami is in the un-incorporated areas of Miami which do report their crime. So not much of a help. I suspect there is crime in the area you are looking, maybe call the City of North Miami Police Department City of North Miami, a diverse community in South Florida see if they can give you the crime sheet or if they have a website that lists the crime in North Miami.

If your from Jersey just bring your street smarts. Miami isn't the worst place to live, but it isn't Kansas either where you can leave your keys in your car and expect your car to be there in the morning. Always be aware who is around you, don't walk in dark areas, don't leave valuables in the car, lock your doors and windows, don't open the door to people you don't expect or recognize (lots of scam artists down here), don't wear flashy jewelry, have an alarm on your car and house, and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 21,208 times
But there was still some crime icons in the area, just not as much as west, north, or south of us. So I assume they aren't reported? Well the condo is gated, it's three horizons to be exact. Well thank you for your tips! I will call and make sure.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
^^^ Here is a link to the boundaries of the City of North Miami File:North Miami.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You can use it in conjunction with the crime map to see where there will be no report crime of North Miami.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Wow! Your awesome! Much appreciated!! Also, doggie, why do ppl hate Miami so much? Reading these forums just scares me!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM

I am not sure how to read the map...is there an instant message thing on here?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
Kristy,

Why do people hate Miami? That is a loaded question and there are exposés on that issue in this forum, many eloquently stated and others very raw and not too well thought out. In short, cost of living, crime, climate, diversity, over population, low pay, lack of sense of community and a disproportionately large and influential ghettoized population are the main factors. Obviously, some none or all may affect any one person's perception. It just depends where "you" are in your life, what you want out of it, what you can put up with and how much you can ignore.

The area you mentioned in North Miami isn't "bad." In other words, you can live there and be reasonably safe. Just use common sense, no one is saying it is so safe you can leave valueables in the car or sleep with windows open either. You will feel safe by taking reasonable precautions. Caveat, every complex is different, so make sure the one you are looking at is a decent one...

Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Yes, I def have common sense...I lived in Jersey City for years and my husband is from the Bronx. However, like I stated I do have a child and I want to live in a safe area..not to worry about getting mugged if her and I take a walk. The area seems OK, from the crime stats, etc. Its just such a toss up because of the people bashing. Every city has crime, fine..but is my neighborhood full of crackheads and thieves? This forum is making me get worried! LOL...We actually already have a contract on the condo to purchase..the cost of living does not seem too much. I will be waitressing until I find an admin job making atleast 15-16 an hour, which seems plenty since our Mortgage is only 900 a month. My husband will be attending school part time for graphic design (PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY GOOD SCHOOLS AFFORDABLE TO OBTAIN THIS CERTIFICATE) So he will be working part time probably making 12 an hour. I think we should be fine with the cost of living. We are beach bums! I get soooo depressed in the winter up in jersey, so i think i can take the heat and sunshine anyday over 6mths of depression and weight gain up north ..LOL...but again, ppl on the forum are really scaring me to move!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
No, this area is not crack head row. It doesn't mean there aren't some wandering about though. I think you can go and walk and be fine. You will probably be confronted by weirdos or bums at most....but nothing that you couldn't handle. Certainly no gangs walking around....but not nice enough that you would want to walk aroud rather nice enough that you could.

The Biscayne corridor used to be very different. In the day time it is busy, and a busy area in a big city will always have all types of people. So it won't be "safe" but it won't be that different from any other random area in Miami and it certainly isn't dangerous. At night, very few "normal" people would be taking walks for a breath of fresh air in this area as well. Again, not to scare you, it is reality. People here tend to excercise in gyms or well lit areas like certain sporting facilities or parks....and generally avoid random streets. This takes away a big part of the "normal" people element that you would run into when walking around...but again, it isn't directly because of extreme danger. Trust me, if you are from urban NJ, SoFla will not be a big shock.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks guys! I feel the area is good..Its just 3 miles from Bal Harbor/Beach..and it just seems to be fine...Its not even like the condos are on some random back streets, its right off 123rd..which is a lit, busier street. Well again, I feel much better and finally getting excited to move down next month!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami