Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 PM

367 posts, read 941,122 times

Advertisements

We just don't have much white Southerners left. Most people who are Blackaphobic and are too scared to venture into BLACK Miami would not know that Black Miamians are Southerners. These folks that know nothing about Black Miami ask me how I have a Southern accent if I'm from Miami. If they left their Spanish speaking enclave or predominantly white areas like the beaches and Aventura, and actually socialized with traditional Black Miamians, they would know Miami is part of the South! If you talk to Black Miamians from Miami Gardens, Overtown, Liberty City, Richmond Heights, etc they will tell you "You in da South!". I am tired of all these outta towners and foreigners coming over here telling me that we ain't Southern. Black Miamians' roots are in North FL, GA and the Carolinas. What's more Southern than that?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
"Most people who are Blackaphobic and are too scared to venture into BLACK Miami would not know that Black Miamians are Southerners."

It is not blackaphobic, it is just people do not like living in trashy areas. I do not see in wealthy blacks living in those areas either, LeBron James lives in Coconut Grove I think, are there in wealthy or upper class blacks that live in those areas? Give a black person in Overtown a million dollars, they will leave that place and never return.

"If they left their Spanish speaking enclave or predominantly white areas like the beaches and Aventura, and actually socialized with traditional Black Miamians, they would know Miami is part of the South!"

"The South" is actually a regional thing, not a neighborhood thing. heck, i could state Joe Bob in NYC makes that part of NYC the "real" South. As a region, the Miami MSA does not tend to have a large presence of stereotypical southern traits. I say this as someone who hates The South.

I can also state the reverse, blacks can leave their enclaves and venture out into the rest of Miami. But reality is people divide up by socioeconomic status more so than anything else. Is there any reason to go to Overtown or Liberty City? I do not see any reason to go there, I do not even see a reason to go to Coral Gables. I go to Aventura for the mall and some other items. Many people come here to live and hang around the beaches, if they wanted to live and hang around inland, they might as well moved to Kansas.

"Black Miamians' roots are in North FL, GA and the Carolinas. What's more Southern than that?"

And what specifically does that mean? I was born in the traditional South, but I would never call myself a Southerner as I do not engage in the culture of the South, I actually do not like it at all.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,173 times
I am tired of all these outta towners and foreigners coming over here telling me that we ain't Southern. Black Miamians' roots are in North FL, GA and the Carolinas. What's more Southern than that?

--------

Wrong, Buffalo Breath!!!
Most blacks from Miami have a Bahamian and Caribbean origin.
You might find some blacks that came running away from them crackers, but they are a rarity.
You must be sadistic or something, why do you want them crackers and rednecks back in Miami?
Do you want them to open the old KKK Chapter at the Tower Cinema in Eight St.?
Yes, Blacks in Miami are southeners, their roots are in Bahamas. What's more Southern than that apart from Cuba?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
thread is just begging for a flamewar

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
I am tired of all these outta towners and foreigners coming over here telling me that we ain't Southern. Black Miamians' roots are in North FL, GA and the Carolinas. What's more Southern than that?

--------

Wrong, Buffalo Breath!!!
Most blacks from Miami have a Bahamian and Caribbean origin.
You might find some blacks that came running away from them crackers, but they are a rarity.
You must be sadistic or something, why do you want them crackers and rednecks back in Miami?
Do you want them to open the old KKK Chapter at the Tower Cinema in Eight St.?
Yes, Blacks in Miami are southeners, their roots are in Bahamas. What's more Southern than that apart from Cuba?
You don't know African Americans here obviously. Go to Miami Gardens, Overtown, and Liberty City and most people will tell you their grandparents were from GA. Most of my African American friends left Miami after highschool for FAMU and ATL because that's where their roots lie. Bahamians were separated from Black Southerners for a while so it is only obvious there are full Georgia, North FL, Carolinas' descendants down here.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
It is not blackaphobic, it is just people do not like living in trashy areas. I do not see in wealthy blacks living in those areas either, LeBron James lives in Coconut Grove I think, are there in wealthy or upper class blacks that live in those areas? Give a black person in Overtown a million dollars, they will leave that place and never return.
I didn't say anything about living there but visiting. These folks can't even visit a Black American neighborhood thus never learning the culture of Black Miamians. They never come to overstand that the "thug culture" is just a percentage of the Black Miamian culture. They aren't even aware of the many classy Black people that live in places like Miami Gardens.

Quote:
And what specifically does that mean? I was born in the traditional South, but I would never call myself a Southerner as I do not engage in the culture of the South, I actually do not like it at all.
Southern is a cultural thing actually, and that's the culture of Black Miamians, so that's why they identify like that. They love being Southern and from the South. That's why the main place they go when they leave Miami is ATL. They still identify with the South eventhough they're about 2 generations removed (for the youngins') and 1 generation removed (for the older folks) from the traditional South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami