Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 03:43 PM

707 posts, read 1,411,104 times

Advertisements

Looking for some input, advise and anything else concerning MDCC , my son want to go to college there for 2 years and then transfer to FIU or UM. He will be going to the Kendall Campus, my wife and I both went there and were very happy over all, we have since moved away so we don't really know how it is lately. We plan on coming down next month to take a look but its summer so you don't really get to see the school in full swing like in the fall. My son will be staying with family so living arrangements are taken care of. Any thoughts or advise about the current conditions of the school would be very helpful? Faculty, commute, academic standards, student body, overcrowding, over all atmosphere or anything else? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,026,020 times
If that is the path that is needs to take then do it. Miami Dade is now a four year college. I've never seen the Kendall campus but the downtown campus is fairly nice and large. I will say if there is any chance of your some getting into FIU now do it now and slip the MDC part. If not then its a decent plan just make sure he stays on track with enough classes.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM

131 posts, read 323,946 times
An easier and cheaper option would be to CLEP out of intro courses. Many people forget that this is an option. You could take the tests in a few short months and then enroll at FIU for the coming semester.He would have junior standing and could then get a BS in two years. MDC is basically a waste of time.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 AM

529 posts, read 1,147,627 times
Do you guys (parents) live in Florida? Are you sure he will be considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes? MDC, like all South Florida colleges are VERY strict about residency requirements. At MDC I had to be considered an out of state resident just because my parents lived out of state. Then even if I met the exemption about making over a certain amount of money from my job, they changed the guidelines from one year to the next.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM

707 posts, read 1,411,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
Do you guys (parents) live in Florida? Are you sure he will be considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes? MDC, like all South Florida colleges are VERY strict about residency requirements. At MDC I had to be considered an out of state resident just because my parents lived out of state. Then even if I met the exemption about making over a certain amount of money from my job, they changed the guidelines from one year to the next.
He will be an out of State student so we would have to pay the higher tuition rate unfortunately but we have a College fund set up so were ok for the tuition. How was the school over all, can you give me your thoughts on your overall experience at MDC?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,147,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
He will be an out of State student so we would have to pay the higher tuition rate unfortunately but we have a College fund set up so were ok for the tuition. How was the school over all, can you give me your thoughts on your overall experience at MDC?
Apart from the tuition troubles, it was a good experience.

It didn't seem very different from high school in terms of difficulty, but neither did the other general ed courses at a state college when I used to attend one.

I wouldn't worry about MDC's quality or whatever. To me, a general education (the first 2 years of a BA) is the same anywhere whether its MDC, FSU, FIU, etc.

After that, if he wants to go to a state college and be considered in-state for tuition, he should look outside of South Florida. I know FSU accepted me for in-state tuition after just living here for a year, but I didn't attend.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,348,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Why are you going to pay outrageous tuition for an out of state community college? Surely there are in state community colleges near you that would serve your sons needs as well as or better than MDC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: