Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:55 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,202,779 times

Advertisements

We purchased a home with light yellow siding and a light gray roof. It's time to replace the roof and I really like the idea of a dark roof, like black, or dark brown.

I'm hoping someone has had experience with having had a dark roof who can provide some information on how their electric bills seemed to be affected. I've read a lot that the electric bill goes up due to the heat absorption, but I can't find anyone who may have gone from a light roof to a dark roof and can tell me what they saw in the way of the electric bill going up, or how the house felt during the summer. Also interested in those who went from a dark roof to a light roof - what differences did you see.

I don't want to regret going with a dark roof by seeing my electric bills go up, but if it doesn't make that much of a difference, I'd like to go with what I think looks best for us.

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 02:58 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,213,246 times
I think you need permission, cuz there are city codes based on color preferences.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Well, technically, the house isn't here, its in SC, but I (currently) live here, and figured who better to ask than my fellow Floridians. If anyone knows about a/c and electric bills, it's us.

I know places like the Gables and many HOA have restrictions, but I don't think there's anything in the general county ordinances about roof colors. I've seen dark color roofs here, but I don't know if they are truly dark, or they've turned that way with age.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,213,246 times
There has to be codes for roof colors, I'm pretty sure of it.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,336,317 times
I don't think, probably outside of the Gables, there's any law about roof colors, but in general the darker roof will of course attract more heat, but being in SC, during the winter you'll make some of that up because of the cold during the winter.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a dark roof. Some solar powered attic fans would help ventilation if you're concerned, though

Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Thanks. I didn't imagine that it was going to be so difficult to find some homeowners that could answer this with first hand experience but it has been.

I agree, outside the Gables and many HOA developments, I doubt there's restrictions on roof color -gawd knows I've seen some hideous colors painted on homes!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,138,939 times
Why don't you ask some roofing companies?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 AM

I don't think they'll have a good reply. I'm looking for a homeowner to give me feedback on what they've experienced having and not having a dark roof, something the roofers reallyc can't tell me since they don't have that knowledge.

I'll keep searching til I have to make a decision

Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,484,300 times
I don't think outside of Coral Gables that there are any restrictions on colors of a roof. A neighbor of my parents has that blue oriental style roof. Since you home is in SC I think this should be a question you should ask the people up there (if you want me to move this thread let me know) as the weather here in Miami is different than in South Carolina. SC gets a colder winter so maybe the darker roof is a good thing. The utility company is different than here in Miami so pricing will be different, etc. Remember that the location of the house will play into your utility bill also, if there are a lot of trees covering the house or shading the house or if there is sun beating down all day on the house.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks Doggie - no need to move, have asked those there as well and I'm just not getting any of the answers I was looking for. I figured, if people down here had a dark roof, with us having heat the majority of the year, I would be able to get an idea about it. It's proving to be hard information to find.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami