Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM

231 posts, read 462,627 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm interviewing with quite a few companies right now and a couple of them happened to be located in Miami. If I were to receive the offer and accept the job I'd have to relocate to the city.

That being said, I'm very excited and curious about the city.

The question I have is, what neighborhood would be the best for single 27 year old male from DC with well paying job?

I wont have a family to relocate so that won't be a factor for my move at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
As long as you can afford it, Brickell. I would not consider any other area.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks, I'm looking at the prices, and they seem comparable to Downtown DC or Clarendon.

With Brickell being the most expensive area, what neighborhood would you consider to be one step below that price wise?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Brickell or South Beach is where you should go. I wouldn't consider any other area for you.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
Brickell or South Beach if you like to be close to the party. If you don't mind being 10-20 mins from the party with some upscale places you can still walk to get dinner and drinks, downtown Coral Gables might work for you. Pricey, but that may not be an issue for you.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks FlyMIA, Coconut1, and cjs08 for narrowing down my options.

One more question, based on your experiences with weekday Rush Hour traffic, how terrible would the commute be from either Brickell or South Beach be to an office that is located in West Miami?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
West as in where? Doral?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Thanks FlyMIA, Coconut1, and cjs08 for narrowing down my options.

One more question, based on your experiences with weekday Rush Hour traffic, how terrible would the commute be from either Brickell or South Beach be to an office that is located in West Miami?
Those would be reverse commutes so you won't get much traffic if any at all. And what would be a step under Brickell.
Well South Beach has plenty of nice places which will be as or more expensive than Brickell. It also has some older, smaller less expensive places. South Beach is certainly much more touristy than Brickell but it is a but it has some more stuff in walking distance and also is more dense and more walkable. But Brickell has better public transit.

After that there are some pretty nice places just north of Brickell in the Downtown area. Brickell is pretty much part of Downtown but the neighborhoods are different. Downtown is not as popular at night unless there is a Heat game. And even then late night there is not too much to offer downtown. But there are some nice places and Brickell is a short free metromover ride away.

As another said there is Downtown Coral Gables. A nice area and would be closer to work but not as much of a nightlife there are places to eat and some bars but not like Brickell or South Beach.

Brickell is full of Young Professionals and Students.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
West as in where? Doral?
Since the OP capitalized West, he could mean the City of West Miami, although truth be told, I can't think of a major business within the city limits.

In any case, OP, if you were referring to the area in or around the City of West Miami, I can give you specific details because I drive from Miami Beach (although not SoBe) to West Miami several days/week. It's basically a reverse commute with little traffic. My "commute" is 17 miles and it takes me 25 minutes. Can you imagine driving 17 miles during rush hour from anywhere in the DC metro area and getting somewhere in 25 minutes. Neither can I, lol.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM

MadManofBethesda has made the correct assumption, in that I do mean the City of West Miami. And if commuting 17 miles in only 25 minutes is accurate then I'm in for a treat! I'm used to 11 miles to work taking 45+ minutes.

I'll look more into the details of apartment hunting when I get past the next round of interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami