Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
N_A N_A started this thread

21 posts, read 58,920 times

Advertisements

I work in the tech industry as a business analyst in Atlanta (great place). However, when looking for work in S. Fla it seems like it is not as much opportunities in IT and telecom as in Atlanta. For those of you in the technology industry or familiar with it, how do you see the opportunities there? Pay, companies, type of work, etc.? I’m going to do my research, I would just like to hear what regular people have to say.

Background info-
We have a small family (me, wife, twin babies). I have lived in ATL 20 years, wife came here 2 years ago from W. Africa. Thought about moving to S Fla since I am growing tired of the very few months of cold weather here in Hotlanta and we would (just maybe) like a change of scenery. Wifey hails from the tropics, and S. Fla is pretty much the only place in the 48 states with that type of weather. Yes, with our backgrounds the only issue we have with heat/humidity is that we like it.

All of my dad’s people live in Miami. They're middle class and homeowners, but some seem to not like Miami (politics, crime). They are still there, so it must be ok. Anyway, just thought I would throw that in to say I am familiar with S. Fla to a degree, and have visited maybe 15 times. I know visiting is different from living there, but if I find work in my field we might be packing our bags.

P.S.-
I don't see a "S. Florida" forum, so I opened this thread in "Miami"; but my question pertains to all of S. Fla (Dade, Broward, Palm).

Last edited by N_A; 04-16-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Miami is not a tech area, it is a parasite area. It thrives on drug money, government checks pill mills and financial money laundering. I have been wanting to start a 3-D scanning/printing industry and if I do it will be in rural south Florida. It and telecom is very low paying in the southeast Florida area due to an abundance of migrants willing to work for nothing.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Really don't know much but the tech industry down here is not huge. It certainly is growing though. You just need to search for the right job with the right pay. Cost of living down here will be higher.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
There was a small tech boom here in early 2000's. Then it seems to have fizzled out.

Still, there are some pretty well established data centers here and IT companies. Or large companies with pretty strong IT departments.

JM Family Enterprises in Deerfield
Ultimate Software in Weston
Motorola in Sunrise
General Dynamics in Sunrise
ADT Tyco in Boca
IBM in Boca
Microsoft in Pompano
Citrix in Fort Lauderdale/Pompano
Terremark in Miami (one of the biggest network hubs in the world, big communications gateway to South America)
Telefonica Data in Doral
Carnival Cruises in Miramar
Royal Caribbean Cruises in Miramar
Southern Wine and Spirits in Miramar
Burger King in Miami
Ryder in Doral
Tracfone in Doral

just a few off the top of my head

The jobs are there, but you have to fight for them

The really low paying jobs are call center / helpdesk / monitoring, usually college kids work in these positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami