Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 PM

12 posts, read 24,556 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving to Miami in January partially to learn Spanish. We want to be somewhere near the ocean. Finding a safe charming neighborhood with character and a community feel is very important to us. We are looking for a quaint neighborhood with craftsman's bungalows or old spanish style architecture walking distance to some shops or restaurants. We also like lots of green space and pedestrian/bike friendly. Not interested in strip malls or apartment buildings. Looking to spend up to $2,800 for at least a 2 bedroom. We are a family of 3 with a toddler. I am a nurse practitioner and my husband is a physician assistant. Based on what I've read in the threads the 3 places we want to be are Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, or Miami Shores. My questions are...Would we be able to find work close to home in those areas? Can we find a home for $2,800 rent or less based on what we're looking for? Is it feasible to learn spanish in a year in Miami.
Thanks!
Ali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 PM

Also, what's a good way to find a job before we move there?

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
Try Miami springs or coconut grove area. I would check the hr depts for all area hospitals, Baptist being one of the big ones with various locations. Also I would check in to a professional agency to get a feel what is available. You can also try Careerbuilders.com

Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGilbert View Post
Hi, we are moving to Miami in January partially to learn Spanish. We want to be somewhere near the ocean. Finding a safe charming neighborhood with character and a community feel is very important to us. We are looking for a quaint neighborhood with craftsman's bungalows or old spanish style architecture walking distance to some shops or restaurants. We also like lots of green space and pedestrian/bike friendly. Not interested in strip malls or apartment buildings. Looking to spend up to $2,800 for at least a 2 bedroom. We are a family of 3 with a toddler. I am a nurse practitioner and my husband is a physician assistant. Based on what I've read in the threads the 3 places we want to be are Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, or Miami Shores. My questions are...Would we be able to find work close to home in those areas? Can we find a home for $2,800 rent or less based on what we're looking for? Is it feasible to learn spanish in a year in Miami.
Thanks!
Ali
No to all.

Miami is a new city mostly built for cars with modern architecture. Also Miami coastline is very limited to the public so the few areas that meet some of your requirements have been taken over by millionaires from all over the world.

You can afford to live in a suburb with a 30-60 minute commute if you both find work.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The one who says no to everything. That's disappointing. We used to live in Honolulu. I'm surprised Miami is more expensive than that. No to learning Spanish to? I don't expect to live on the coast, but within 20 minutes from the beach would be nice. So coconut grove or miami springs is not possible either?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,815 times
I would recommend you do some job searching first, before moving here. You'll find that Miami employers pay quite a bit less than employers in other parts of the country. Also, at least where I now work, your benefits are also more expensive than other places. $2800 a month will get you a nice place in the areas you mentioned, but you may not make that kind of money here, even if it's common in other places.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM

24 posts, read 61,146 times
$2800 will get you a 2 bedroom in coral gables. It's a 25 min drive to/from the beach without traffic. Decent area. However, I also have a family with a toddler and I'm looking elsewhere around Miami. I've heard plantation, weston, pembroke pines are better areas to raise a family.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,834,659 times
What about South Beach? should be able to rent something there for that much. And it is walkable. Plenty of Spanish spoken all over too.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 PM

South beach sounds fun. I like art deco too. How safe and green is it though? I seem to remember lots of strip malls from the one time I went.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
If you like crowds and parties, south beach is the place to be.... I am done with that (and have been for quite a while) but to each their own. Further North is better. Remember that you have to cross one of only a few causeways to get to the mainland and to your work. For anyone moving to South Florida - I HIGHLY recommend pretending like you live their and have to go to work. i.e. Start out in the neighborhood you want to move to and try to get to work on time. And then when you would get off of work, drive home.

I've been here 40 years and I still don't know Spanish. At one point I was ok in survival Spanish. FWIW, most people here don't speak real Spanish anyways (at least the young crowd) more of a Spanglish... My Latin friends tell me their kids do not know or use Spanish often, especially if they are second generation born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami