Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM

65 posts, read 73,298 times

Advertisements

We are looking at two houses and need to make a decision quickly. They are both around $570k. We can live with either of them. But which one would have better resale value?

The one in South Miami is in a "green" section of South Miami. It's closer to work for both of us, not to mention closer to downtown. Beautiful house. Small and good yard. Nice looking neighborhood. Fairchild elementary.

The one in Pinecrest is farther from work. The house itself is also very nice but not as nice as the one in South Miami. Yard is larger but not as nice either. Good looking neighborhood. Of course good schools.

So which one would you recommend? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Pinecrest. Safer community and better schools. I wouldn't even think about it.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Pinecrest would be my choice. Schools are better in Pinecrest, and it has a larger yard you say. You can always fix up the house and yard to make it as nice as the one in South Miami. You can't change the size of the yard, the schools or location.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Seeing as how you have children and are also after the home with the higher potential resale value in the future, I would add a third vote for Pinecrest.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Thank you for all your input! I really appreciate it.

Just had a discussion with my agent who expressed a couple of minor concerns with the house in Pinecrest. One, it's on a "relatively major" but still quiet road in Pinecrest. Two, the house is set very back in the yard, so there will not be room for a pool in the back. If anyone wants a pool, it can only be put at the side of the house at best. We are not interested in a pool. But the agent thinks it will affect resale value.

Is that the case here in Miami? What do you think?

Thanks again!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times
It sounds like what you really want is the South Miami house in Pinecrest.

I know it's tough, but perhaps the answer is to wait for the right house as opposed to having to pick for the lesser of two evils. But I also know that that strategy could backfire, and in an inflationary market you could end up with even worse choices.

Still $570k is $570k, and although many will say get the best you can while you can, it is YOUR hard earned money.

With every house I ever bought, regardless of budget, I felt moved by it the first time I walked in, and I knew it was the place for me. It is my deep sentiment that no one should part with their money unless they get this feeling by the space they are considering. Yes resale value and other factors matter, but nothing matters more than the fact this will be your family's home.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
It sounds like what you really want is the South Miami house in Pinecrest.

I know it's tough, but perhaps the answer is to wait for the right house as opposed to having to pick for the lesser of two evils. But I also know that that strategy could backfire, and in an inflationary market you could end up with even worse choices.
We were actually very happy with the Pinecrest house and it was our (slight) prefernce. But the agent seems to think South Miami suits us better. We knew about the "relative major" road and it didn't bother us. However the swimming pool thing threw us off. We came from the north and the whole "if house doesn't have a potential for a backyard swimming it is a problem" idea never occured to us. So we would love some feedback from the local experts to get a feel how big a problem this is. If it turns out to be a serious issue we may have to pass.

But you hit the nail in the head when you said the ideal answer is wait but the market doesn't wait. That is exactly what we see and what the agent keeps reminding us about. A lot of pressure to make a decision fast.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 PM

24 posts, read 61,101 times
Find me an agent that will tell you it's better to wait.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmppm View Post
the agent seems to think South Miami suits us better.
Why is this? What kind of a lifestyle are you looking for?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
It is impossible to choose one without seeing any pictures. There are a lot of things to take into consideration like interior layout, style, bathrooms, kitchen, closets and choice of materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami