Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:24 PM

600 posts, read 754,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
To be sure, car ownership rates in western Europe are not inferior to US'.
the big differences are miles traveled and fuel consumption.
Which means that Americans buy cars more often than Europeans do. The more miles you drive, the quicker you'll need another car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Which means that Americans buy cars more often than Europeans do. The more miles you drive, the quicker you'll need another car.
Nowadays Americans are keeping their cars longer. This goes along with longer terms for car loans too. Not sure about Europeans, but you'd also have to factor this in.

And there's a reason why maintenance schedules are in terms of "miles travelled or age, which ever comes first." Many car components can deteriorate due to age even if you're not driving as much.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM

167 posts, read 246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Couple things stick out to me.

I thought PBC was set to take the bulk of new residents in South Florida. I'm really surprised to see Dade growing so much more than Broward and Palm Beach.

Only 32% foreign born growth? I thought it was consistently more than half, the article doesn't mention anything but I found that 68% growth from the US to be pretty impressive. Especially considering the unemployment rate and weak economy in South Florida.

Interesting to see European immigration picking up so much in Miami too.
Why would you be surprised by this? our City is in Dade and Downtown and Brickell have been the fastest growing in the entire Miami metro area for years now in terms of population. And a lot of people that choose to live in suburbs choose to live closer to the city than further away.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/130829/story3.shtml

It'd be interesting to find out when was the last time this happened in Miami. You'd probably have to go back to the 70's to find a time when non-Hispanic whites grew more than Hispanics.
I'm not surprised by this. The "white" population has definitely increased. Miami is more and more like a huge, world city each time, growing and expanding tremendously. Plus, the nearer suburbs are some of the best and a lot of people prefer to be near the city than farther away.

I might be next! Wynwood, here I come!

Old 10-08-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Miami from what I've been reading lately is a great place for startups and ventures so anybody not exactly looking to build their career the traditional route can easily make money this way and be an entrepreneur.
Do you mind sharing where you have read those things, please?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:34 PM

I don't like how there's suppose to be stops in Broward and Palm Beach for now. The trip is estimated to be 3 hours from Miami to Orlando. That's only about an hour shaved off VS driving, and it depends how fast you drive, you could make it in less.

IMO, at first it should just be from Miami to Orlando, City to City, and then once things are improved and there's more money then they could put in stops in the suburbs with better times.

All the time and money invested into it for just saving 1 hour doesn't seem like it's worthwhile to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
What on earth are you people babbling on about? There are advanced plans for high speed rail connecting downtown Miami, Fort Lauderdale, WPB to Orlando. See All Aboard Florida.

The main actor, with government support to varying degrees, is a private company owned by Florida East Coast Industries (descendant of Flagler), in turn owned by Fortress Investment Group (look it up).

The issue now is local permitting for the trains to pass through each town along the way. You can sign up for email news alerts, you can even "sign" a petition to support the project. But it appears to be a tough battle because leaders of many local communities do not want such a passenger train to pass through their towns and clog up traffic, so the argument goes. Some even argue that it is a stealth project and that the real motive is to allow FEC to also use the track for freight trains, late at night, etc.

Even if it were a 100% state-owned project, local leaders probably would still put up such resistance.

Please do some serious research before aping sensationalist headlines from shoddy sources of "news".

By the way, the Florida government (Legislature and Governor) has recently passed into law a freezing of, or at least scaling back, the rate of projected increases for most state college tuition costs, with the exception of the major research universities, UF and FSU. One of the motives is to encourage state residents to attend Florida colleges and universities and, hopefully, remain in the state to apply their talents to its further economic and social development, based on their local and statewide contacts, so the theory goes.

In detail ...

Sure, there are always ulterior motives, and the state's colleges and universities could become bloated with low quality (and maybe they already are), but the scaling back of official projected rates of tuition increases is real, as in it leaves more money in families' pockets, right away, today.

To tie this into the thread, expect FIU to develop further, and maybe some of that bloat can be transformed into high quality pockets here and there (and it probably already has).

Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
Do you mind sharing where you have read those things, please?
Miami Tech and Startup Scene Flowers - WSJ
A Look at the Latin American Tech Startup Scene in Miami: An Insider Perspective
Here are some articles I read

Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Default Florida East Coast Railway Brings Intermodal Rail Service to Port Miami

While I have serious doubts about All Aboard Florida, here is a good example of how, more than a century on, northeast finance still brings infrastructure development to Miami and the State of Florida, this time providing a faster link for commodities and merchandise between Latin America and other global regions, on the one hand, and Florida and the eastern United States, on the other.

Hopefully it will add value to the economy, including more jobs with decent wages.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I kind of hope All aboard Florida fails instead for a true bullet train not some private train company donating campaign to Rick Scott.
If All Aboard Florida fails, there won't be any "next time" for a long, long time. Failure will be the "I told you so" that the conservatives want. They don't like public transportation....well, they don't like public "anything". When private entities take over roles that should be in the public interest, they stop being about the public interest and more about the private investment. Expect all decisions to be made based on return-on-investment for the investors. True public infrastructure can make a bet on the future and shape the direction of development in the public interest without having to show an immediate profit. Private investment will always need to show a more immediate return. I suspect that this train service will be all about creating a conduit for European tourists to leave Disney for a day or two to go shopping and to the beach in South Florida. It won't be about the residents at all.
God I hope I'm wrong.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
I don't like how there's suppose to be stops in Broward and Palm Beach for now. The trip is estimated to be 3 hours from Miami to Orlando. That's only about an hour shaved off VS driving, and it depends how fast you drive, you could make it in less.

IMO, at first it should just be from Miami to Orlando, City to City, and then once things are improved and there's more money then they could put in stops in the suburbs with better times.

All the time and money invested into it for just saving 1 hour doesn't seem like it's worthwhile to me.

I disagree.

First off, there is a class of tourist from Orlando that does not and would want to go to Miami, and can find more of what they are looking for in Palm Beach than Miami.

Also, honestly the WPB-FT.Lauderdale-Miami stops makes it very good for business travelers between the regions. I had to drive to Dadeland Center yesterday and it was a nightmare. Especially trying to get back during rush hour. It would have been more cost efficient and convenient for me to hop the train, take it down and hop the metro to the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami