Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:56 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,902,366 times

Advertisements

Who else went through this storm? We were in the Hammocks and that was a looooonnnnggggg night! Read Bryan Norcross' Facebook post tonight and he mentioned how fewer people today have land lines and radios. We listened to him all night and were able to keep communicating with our land line even though we lost electricity and part of the roof!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
21 years ago Hurricane Andrew changed the lives of many of my friends. Many packed up and left South Florida after the storm. I was in the Redlands, the eye of the storm came over our homes.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,876 times
Y'all should watch these Hurricane Andrew news coverage videos. Very interesting.

Hurricane Andrew 1992 As It Happened! Part-1 - YouTube

Home video of Hurricane Andrew
http://youtu.be/lO0TGcRm6LM

Hurricane Andrew aftermath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV42r6qx0u4

Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Lives of Folks Changed

I can remember the second after Hurricane Andrew Clearly as myself and my Florida National Guard Unit Pulled in to Miami. I have seen Hurricanes, but nothing like the scale of destruction other than Hurricane Donna.
We settle in Tamiami Airport and went to work. My BN (2nd Bn 124th Infantry) hit the streets. Our first mission was to help secure the City of Miami, Kendall, Hialeah and Perrine. I remember for being up 3 days at a time on the streets . We were so short handed until other FLANG Arrived in the area.

The business of setting up MKT (Mobil Kitchen Trailers) , aid stations and the every day supply points. (Water, Ice and Food). Long days and nights. Surprisingly the people of Miami got right in the business of helping their community.
As our support units arrived FLORIDA Guardsmen setup Supply lines from MIA (Transportation Unit from Marietta Fl) and our Engineers took to the task of clearing and working with local officials. FLNAG Air Recourses from Lakeland Florida were flying 24/7 over the skies of Miami/Dade doing rescued and EVACS to hospitals. Our friends from the Coast Guard were Equally involved as we were. (they Flew out of Tampa/Key West and Port of Miami.
Cuban Community set up food stations serving beans and rice and a good doss of espresso. As a tired Guardsman one such Gentleman got meal Espresso and it was the best ever!
Good Folks from the Georgia, Alabama, Texas and more than I can say pulled together to help Miami.
Floridians pulled together. We pull our difference to the side and took care of our own. There are folks who bad month us and say we are too "something", but I got to say Florida is a special place in my Heart.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Today is a bittersweet day for me since my niece was born today as Hurricane Andrew came ashore at SMH and she is 21 today. We weren't able to be with my sis because of the conditions. We evacuated from our West Kendall condo to my Uncle's apartment building in Hialeah which stood up pretty well. It took me about 3 days to finally get back to my west Kendall neighborhood and it was unrecognizable!
I couldn't even find my street where I lived and realized I had passed it by two blocks as such was the amount of destruction and debris everywhere. When I finally got back to my condo there was a huge gaping hole on the roof and to add insult to injury it started to rain two days after Anfrew passed and all of our belongings were ruined. We applied to FEMA for aid and they turned us down! We spent about 3 weeks without power. I never want to go through that expirience again.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Many packed up and left South Florida after the storm.
While it certainly scared me BIG TIME.

I think I was too naive to really understand the gravity of it at the time.... and why I'm still here.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Today is a bittersweet day for me since my niece was born today as Hurricane Andrew came ashore at SMH and she is 21 today. We weren't able to be with my sis because of the conditions. We evacuated from our West Kendall condo to my Uncle's apartment building in Hialeah which stood up pretty well. It took me about 3 days to finally get back to my west Kendall neighborhood and it was unrecognizable!
I couldn't even find my street where I lived and realized I had passed it by two blocks as such was the amount of destruction and debris everywhere. When I finally got back to my condo there was a huge gaping hole on the roof and to add insult to injury it started to rain two days after Anfrew passed and all of our belongings were ruined. We applied to FEMA for aid and they turned us down! We spent about 3 weeks without power. I never want to go through that expirience again.
Oh yes I remember the rain.

We probaly past each other and did not realize it.. My Sector was Kendall and We set up a forward Command in the Kendall Mall complete with a Aid Staion and Helicopter land zone. (LZ)

It was hard as you mention,there was no street signs and 22nd street was wiped out. What really amazed me was the only thing left on homes were only the foundation. Running baby supplies while mainting security was a challage.

It was heart breaking when people would lost thier own Neighbors. Everyone was in shock,lives destroyed and families separated. My LT comforted a woman who just could not even begin to understand what just happen.
This is way transplants (Yankees) will never understand what it is to be Floridian.

For me, I will be always connected to South Florida and hopefully soon we can leave Arizona and go home soon.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Default FEMA and the Red Cross

You have a point. They were useless to the Good people of Miami. they were too busy competing with each other and trying to control the Florida Guard.

While we established through hard work they took credit and moved in almost like the unwanted In-Laws from out of state. We handed over operation to the Food, ice and water to the Red Cross.

Fema did not even had a effective plan written in the Action Policy. it was kinda funny. Our Col. Watson (General Now)actually told Fema and the Red Cross" Its a little late to form a Hurricane Plan"

We had Law Enforcement from all Counties in Florida. There were Fire Dpartments fromjust about every city in Florida assting Miami/ Dade.
Today i take jabs at the Phoenix PD and say" Do you want me to Call FDLE and FHP? Just becuase!

Lets not forget Homestead. Sometime they get over looked. Homestead was in fact much harder hit in terms of loss.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM

652 posts, read 1,654,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
We applied to FEMA for aid and they turned us down!
Did they give you a reason?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
I remember I told my husband at the time I was pregnant that night because if anything happened I wanted him to know....we were planning on divorcing. We rode out that storm Ina hallway and I went so nuts because I could hear folks screaming and the door seemed like it would buckle OUT!

The most terrifying thing was feeling the walls of our house wobble like jelly and wanting nothing other then the illogical thing but to escape the house at the height of it. husband had to hold me back, it was THAT aweful!

Felt like a train was barreling towards us and the sheer sense of being helpless.

We had just bought this home and around our area tornados caused the most damage. I will NEVER take a hurricane for granted ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami