Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is South Dade really part of the Miami area?
Yes 21 60.00%
Yes, but it will eventually become separate 2 5.71%
No 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:42 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
This is the point. Homestead is the same distance from downtown Miami as Fort Lauderdale. Why should Homestead be considered part of the Miami area but not Fort Lauderdale?
Distance has nothing to do with it. Key West is further from mainland Florida than it is to Cuba. By your thinking then, Key West should be a suburb of Cuba since it's closer?
Miami is very different from Homestead and also from Ft. Lauderdale, I don't consider either of those cities to be part of Miami because they are nothing like Miami.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

233 posts, read 344,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Distance has nothing to do with it. Key West is further from mainland Florida than it is to Cuba. By your thinking then, Key West should be a suburb of Cuba since it's closer?
Miami is very different from Homestead and also from Ft. Lauderdale, I don't consider either of those cities to be part of Miami because they are nothing like Miami.
Relax, buddy. It seems like we're in agreement. Lol.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM

97 posts, read 140,867 times
Quote:
Go into the Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm forums and ask them if they think they are part of Miami. You might have a rude awakening.
It doesn't matter if some people "feel" it or not. It is what it is even if some people don't "feel" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach have their own suburbs.
They can't have suburbs because they aren't major cities and when they are suburbs of Miami.

Quote:
Of course, Homestead and Ft. Lauderdale aren't part of Miami, because they are suburbs or Miami. Part of Miami include Coconut Grove, Brickell, etc.

Suburbs don't have to be similar to the major city. I don't know where you're getting that from. Not even different parts of a city have to be similar so what would make someone think suburbs do. And different parts of cities are different from other parts.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post

They can't have suburbs because they aren't major cities and when they are suburbs of Miami.
They CAN'T??? That's surprising to me because they DO! I guess the suburbs of Palm Beach and Lauderdale are sub-suburbs of Miami then?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
They CAN'T??? That's surprising to me because they DO! I guess the suburbs of Palm Beach and Lauderdale are sub-suburbs of Miami then?
Palm Beach and Lauderdale are suburbs of Miami, they aren't major cities. This is true, not my opinion.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Sell that idea to Wellington residents. They live in a suburb of Miami - not West Palm. Hey, we should say Naples is a suburb of Miami too. After all, it's not as big as Miami so it must be a suburb of it. May as well go for broke and bring in Tampa, Orlando and Jax, since they're not as large as Miami either and they're in the same state to boot!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Sell that idea to Wellington residents. They live in a suburb of Miami - not West Palm. Hey, we should say Naples is a suburb of Miami too. After all, it's not as big as Miami so it must be a suburb of it. May as well go for broke and bring in Tampa, Orlando and Jax, since they're not as large as Miami either and they're in the same state to boot!
Completely irrelevant post. Fact is the South Florida area is the Miami area, they are both the same thing, and all of South Florida outside Miami are suburbs of Miami. It doesn't matter if someone in Palm Beach or Broward "feels" it or not. It's just the way it is.

EDIT: And WPB and Lauderdale are not major cities. This isn't opinion or how I "feel," it's simple facts.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Since when do cities need to be major to have suburbs? There are urban cities of varying sizes all over the U.S. with surrounding suburban areas. Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach can't even be considered suburbs - they have downtowns and are urban. Did you know West Palm Beach was incorporated as a city before Miami?

I think you're confusing "metropolitan areas" with suburbs. Tallahassee is a city in FL. It's smaller than WPB and Ft. Lauderdale. So is it a suburb of somewhere else just because it's a small city? Or is it a small city with suburbs of it's own?

Since you said your post is simple facts and not your opinion I'm sure you can back it up with relevant articles stating the same. I think I'm being trolled though.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Since when do cities need to be major to have suburbs? There are urban cities of varying sizes all over the U.S. with surrounding suburban areas. Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach can't even be considered suburbs - they have downtowns and are urban. Did you know West Palm Beach was incorporated as a city before Miami?

I think you're confusing "metropolitan areas" with suburbs. Tallahassee is a city in FL. It's smaller than WPB and Ft. Lauderdale. So is it a suburb of somewhere else just because it's a small city? Or is it a small city with suburbs of it's own?

Since you said your post is simple facts and not your opinion I'm sure you can back it up with relevant articles stating the same. I think I'm being trolled though.
Just because a place has a downtown or an area they is referred to as "downtown", doesn't mean it can't be a suburb. Coral Gables has a "downtown" and it's urban, so it can't and is not a suburb of Miami?

Size of a city or suburb means absolutely nothing.

Here's a whole lot of information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb

This is fact. Everyone knows this. This never happens in the NY area. I guess it could be because Miami is a relatively new city. But I have noticed these type of comments from the Broward and Palm Beach people, especially the Broward people.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 PM

I wouldn't call what Coral Gables has a downtown. Maybe the town center or district. If you live in the Gables and say "I'm going downtown" no one would think you're going to the Miracle Mile area.

That wiki doesn't say anything at all about WPB and Ft. Lauderdale not being cities with their own suburbs, something you said are simple facts. It just describes suburbs. I know what they are. We both agree on what suburbs are, just not what city they're suburbs of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami