Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM

169 posts, read 310,184 times

Advertisements

Far from people leaving miami because the city has no way to get money anymore.
Detroit needs something new to bring in revenue, I suggest it be hotels. All those abandoned areas.can be turned into great hotels, restaurants, affordable homes, malls, etc. But hold out on the malls for awhile.
Even better idea is for the people who keep trying to build condos and hotels overtown, to go to detroit and build their architecture dreams over there in a city that needs it. Instead of always trying to buy up overtown and turn the neighborhood into another downtown, we don't want that.
If detroit actually try for the "tourism market" I'm sure it'd work. All that space, make a section of the city full of hotels and restaurants and call it "hotel city". I bet the headlines from that alone would bring in plenty of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Miami's middle class continues to take a hit without much relief in sight. Moderate income families wanting a middle class lifestyle have a huge incentive to leave Miami (many are ending up in the Carolinas and Texas). Meanwhile, the wealthy who have already made their money outside of the City have many incentives to live here, at least part of the year. We have world class amenities in Miami--if you can afford them. Young professionals are flocking to Miami in droves, especially near the city center. Many have moderate incomes and live with roommates. (I may be wrong on this point, but I personally haven't met many young professionals who are renting a place in the new Brickell condos on their own with no assistance.) It is not clear how many of them are transients versus how many will settle down with families in Miami. The poor, of course, are not as mobile. So you get lots of poor and wealthy but little wiggle room for the middle. That's why you see lots of new luxury high rises a block away from run-down, high crime apartments and abandoned buildings along the bayfront, also wealthy single family home neighborhoods a stones throw from bad neighborhoods. Now of course this is much better than Detroit which really isn't attractive for the wealthy...or really anybody

What could help in Miami? IMO, Miami needs to diversify it's economic base beyond services, tourism, real estate, legal, and finance. We need serious infrastructure improvements, including the Port, and tax and zoning incentives to develop a solid manufacturing base, to take advantage of all those mega cargo ships that will be docking at the Port. Some of these incentives should be in green energy, which is not yet profitable on a large scale, but can attract other industries not to mention an innovative, educated tech workforce. Improve vocational education so that locals have the specialized skills for this manufacturing base. For example, many commercial areas which could house manufacturing and are on the rail line to the Port are still on septic tanks, which of course, is unacceptable for industry.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
IMO, Miami needs to diversify its economic base beyond services, tourism, real estate, legal, and finance. We need serious infrastructure improvements, including the Port, and tax and zoning incentives to develop a solid manufacturing base, to take advantage of all those mega cargo ships that will be docking at the Port. Some of these incentives should be in green energy, which is not yet profitable on a large scale, but can attract other industries not to mention an innovative, educated tech workforce. Improve vocational education so that locals have the specialized skills for this manufacturing base. For example, many commercial areas which could house manufacturing and are on the rail line to the Port are still on septic tanks, which of course, is unacceptable for industry.
Trade should be at the top of the list of what Miami already has. Private and public investors are already making improvements to commercial transportation infrastructure, in particular to accommodate mega cargo (trade) ships from Asia coming through the Panama canal, but also to passenger transportation, albeit very slowly.

In principle, you point in the right direction with manufacturing, but I would not realistically expect it to happen on a large scale, except perhaps in higher tech areas such as information technology and medicine, maybe even small aviation.

Over the past century Miami has been a producer of warmth, water and relative political stability, and a consumer of industrial goods, with transportation, trade, finance, legal, construction, real estate, and tourism in between, and I don't see that changing significantly in the next 20 years or so, but in a century, who knows.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM

169 posts, read 310,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Miami's middle class continues to take a hit without much relief in sight. Moderate income families wanting a middle class lifestyle have a huge incentive to leave Miami (many are ending up in the Carolinas and Texas). Meanwhile, the wealthy who have already made their money outside of the City have many incentives to live here, at least part of the year. We have world class amenities in Miami--if you can afford them. Young professionals are flocking to Miami in droves, especially near the city center. Many have moderate incomes and live with roommates. (I may be wrong on this point, but I personally haven't met many young professionals who are renting a place in the new Brickell condos on their own with no assistance.) It is not clear how many of them are transients versus how many will settle down with families in Miami. The poor, of course, are not as mobile. So you get lots of poor and wealthy but little wiggle room for the middle. That's why you see lots of new luxury high rises a block away from run-down, high crime apartments and abandoned buildings along the bayfront, also wealthy single family home neighborhoods a stones throw from bad neighborhoods. Now of course this is much better than Detroit which really isn't attractive for the wealthy...or really anybody
Maybe that happens in miami beach, people from miami (me included) rarely visit there, so I don't know arguing about that.
But in miami, it's obvious the City council is trying to get rid of overtown bit by bit. If it wasn't for their fear of a riot they'd do it all at once like they did with scott projects.
The reason they keep chipping away overtown to try and build hotels, condos, etc is to get rid of the neighborhood bit by bit.
I remember when they built those little houses on second court. They kicked everybody out of the apartments and every other month we moved from one apartment to the next until they knocked them all down. They already too most of the.section next to jackson hospital.
They build these complexes in overtown, lil haiti, and the city so rich people can be brought into the areas. Ther want to generate money from the areas, so since it's all public property they get some rich guy to buy it and build complexes there.

Hell they doing it again, just google overtown miami and read up on it.
The way stuff is overtown won't be around in 20 years.

My point being instead of hiring all these people to "fix" inner city miami with their hotel and condo building skills, let detroit get them because that city actually needs a new market for revenue and hotels can be it.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
I do agree with both hurricaneman1982 & bale002 regarding the economy but Miami will never be a manufacturing center unless it's in the industries bale002 mentioned. Go back to the 1980's and Miami had Southeast Bank (which was seized by the Feds in 1991) and Centrust bank which were both homegrown banks and employed thousands of people & a lot of these banks were swallowed up by mergers and disappeared.
How about the airline industry? Eastern Airlines was the largest employer in Miami with over 10,000+ employees in the area along with Pan Am as well and look what happened to both of those companies then add in the destruction of Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the closing of Homestead AFB and thousands fled along with the people who served there and the retirees.
All of these events were blows to the economy of the Miami area as we watched airplane mechanics, pilots and others in the field along with the Military and the retirees flee and taking their middle class incomes with them.
The largest Employer in Miami-Dade county I believe now is the school system.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Maybe that happens in miami beach, people from miami (me included) rarely visit there, so I don't know arguing about that.
But in miami, it's obvious the City council is trying to get rid of overtown bit by bit. If it wasn't for their fear of a riot they'd do it all at once like they did with scott projects.
The reason they keep chipping away overtown to try and build hotels, condos, etc is to get rid of the neighborhood bit by bit.
I remember when they built those little houses on second court. They kicked everybody out of the apartments and every other month we moved from one apartment to the next until they knocked them all down. They already too most of the.section next to jackson hospital.
They build these complexes in overtown, lil haiti, and the city so rich people can be brought into the areas. Ther want to generate money from the areas, so since it's all public property they get some rich guy to buy it and build complexes there.

My point being instead of hiring all these people to "fix" inner city miami with their hotel and condo building skills, let detroit get them because that city actually needs a new market for revenue and hotels can be it.
Gentrification is coming to Overtown and I imagine the only thing left standing in about a decade will be the Lyric Theater and various black churches. The wall of condos is moving westward and "historic" Overtown will probably just be some plaque on the side of a road eventually.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 AM

313 posts, read 647,755 times
It's already happeneing

City of Miami to vote on $250 million Overtown development plan - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I do agree with both hurricaneman1982 & bale002 regarding the economy but Miami will never be a manufacturing center unless it's in the industries bale002 mentioned.
I also agree with this. We have to go high tech, we're not going to become, say, a major producer of automobiles. I still think Miami can be a hub of alternative energy industry, especially solar and ocean current energy. For example, we already have two oceanographic research institutions on Virginia Key, why not partner with industry to see how feasible it is to extract energy from the strong tidal currents of neighbouring Bear Cut? This energy can help power both the institutions and the Port, and also whatever gets built at the Marine Stadium location. Another possible niche industry is disaster mitigation and recovery, especially for hurricanes, severe storms, flooding, and sea level rise.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post

This is exactly what I mean--they're turning the rough neighborhoods into luxury high rise condos, with little in the way of transitioning to working class or middle class neighborhoods. Personally, I'd like to see Overtown become more like the Culmer Park or Allapattah 17th/22nd ave. neighborhood, and less like downtown and Biscayne corridor. But because the middle class keeps getting squeezed out, there really isn't as strong demand for developers to build and re-develop no-frills, middle class housing, and of course the Government only supports the subsidized housing complexes (not to mention the County gets more property taxes from luxury high rises than no-frills garden apartments and townhouses...sounds a bit like a "kickback" to me!).

Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM

249 posts, read 419,863 times
Thats messed up whats going on in Overtown. I want to see government gentrifying poor neighborhoods as much as I want the government handing out section 8 vouchers in poor neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami