Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times

Advertisements

According to Manolon, Julio Iglesias lived in Kendall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 AM

147 posts, read 280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Yes, I remember all of that. I remember that several weeks after Hurricane Andrew, Madonna was interviewed by one of the local channels and she was asked if there was any damage to her home. I'd say Miami's celebrity heyday of the 1990s coincided with the rise and decline of the South Beach club scene. I remember that even Prince owned one of the clubs on South Beach.
Thanks you for getting the essence of my question.

People who are mouthing off celebrity names who own homes there are completely missing the point.
Bless you!

This pic from a South Beach nightclub in 1995 is what I'm trying to point out:

https://twitter.com/ingridcasares/st...25737899798529

It ain't about Matt Damon having a house in Miami. (Only of which his wife is Cuban and from Miami which I would suppose has something more to do with it)
It is about what Miami was in the 90s, what it stood for!

And as for rappers...don't bring up rappers. Rappers are soooooo gaudy new money it's ridiculous. Like Ja Rule RENTING a mansion in a corny section of Miami and acting like he's living the high-life.....sure...
And once that life gets to be too expensive and their lawyers tell them that they are going to go broke unless they change. That's when they go buy a $800K house in a subdivision in Atlanta and go on tour to make more money, then start making better financial decisions.

Last edited by Yeah I've been there; 11-22-2013 at 04:09 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:25 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
I still hear Oprah has a place in Fisher Island, who knows?
She sold her place around 2000-2002 on Fisher Island, from what I heard she got tired of dealing with the ferries. If that is true, I don't know, that's just what I heard.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
She sold her place around 2000-2002 on Fisher Island, from what I heard she got tired of dealing with the ferries. If that is true, I don't know, that's just what I heard.
Oprah spends most her time in Hawaii now.
Again, Miami is OVER!!
thanks for deleting that other person's post. Some people, right? I mean honestly.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM

57 posts, read 181,658 times
I've been to Miami and its nice and all but why would someone with so much money live in Miami???
So many beautiful cities in the world...! I just don't get it. I know a lot of Latino actors live there because Telemundo is located there but other than that why choose Miami? If I was a millionaire I would choose London, NYC, Montreal, Mexico (some beach cities are amazing paradise)so many others...but Miami? Can someone enlighten me why is still a popular destination for rich folks? Its not as popular as before I reckon but still seems pretty popular. Hope someone can prove me wrong or enlighten me.
Thanks.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
I've been to Miami and its nice and all but why would someone with so much money live in Miami???
So many beautiful cities in the world...! I just don't get it. I know a lot of Latino actors live there because Telemundo is located there but other than that why choose Miami? If I was a millionaire I would choose London, NYC, Montreal, Mexico (some beach cities are amazing paradise)so many others...but Miami? Can someone enlighten me why is still a popular destination for rich folks? Its not as popular as before I reckon but still seems pretty popular. Hope someone can prove me wrong or enlighten me.
Thanks.
Well, I am a millionaire and I choose to live in Miami (Beach). Different strokes for different folks as they say. You happen to think that Venice, Italy, is the best city in the world and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Doesn't mean that either one of us is right or wrong.

My wife just returned from a trip to Austria, Switzerland, and Germany, and she said that whenever she mentioned to a local that she lived in Miami Beach, their eyes would light up and they'd be really impressed. She thought it was humorous because she was enamored with the cities she was visiting and the locals were all enamored with the thought of living in Miami Beach.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
I still hear Oprah has a place in Fisher Island, who knows? Miami just never became those celebrity's main home and eventually sold and moved on. Miami is a very transient place, it's not any different with famous people. But celebrities still live down here in droves. Can you even point to any of those people leaving? The Gibbs never left, it was just Madonna and Sylvester Stallone just made news for moving to the mainland.

Matt Damon, Lenny Kravitz, Christian Slater, Anna Kournikova, Pharrell Williams, Drake, Lil Wayne, every other athlete in this country. Fisher Island, Miami Beach and even Downtown Miami still have famous residents.
Matt Damon is in the process of selling his house. In fact, it was just reduced from $20,000,000, to "only" $18,999,000. What a bargain!

Community News | MiamiHerald.com

Old 11-22-2013, 11:33 AM

313 posts, read 647,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
Oprah spends most her time in Hawaii now.
Again, Miami is OVER!!
thanks for deleting that other person's post. Some people, right? I mean honestly.
What's over? The city's population is finally booming, cranes are looming all over the city, neighborhoods in the city are being revitalized, cultural institutions are gaining a footing now, international events keep coming, the Miami Heat are world champs, even Miami Beach continues to go through a redevelopment boom. Miami will do fine without some select 90's has beens. We're enjoying star architects these days.

Where do Madonna and Sylvester Stallone live today? What's the new People Magazine hot spot? Are you starting to see how ridiculous you sound?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I am a millionaire and I choose to live in Miami (Beach). Different strokes for different folks as they say. You happen to think that Venice, Italy, is the best city in the world and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Doesn't mean that either one of us is right or wrong.

My wife just returned from a trip to Austria, Switzerland, and Germany, and she said that whenever she mentioned to a local that she lived in Miami Beach, their eyes would light up and they'd be really impressed. She thought it was humorous because she was enamored with the cities she was visiting and the locals were all enamored with the thought of living in Miami Beach.
I personally prefer London in the summer and Sydney in the northern hemisphere's winter.

But Miami's airport goes pretty much any where (and for destinations it lacks Atlanta is a short connection flight away). So if you are a globe-trotter and jet-setter, as we both clearly are, than Miami is a good HQ.

No non-stops to Dubai unfortunately.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:02 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Where is this "Miami is over" coming from? The population is up, buildings are being built, so much money in this city and so many very expensive places to live. Look at the Prosche tower in Sunny Isles. It's not poor people buying in that place!

As for the celebrity thing, its not over. It's just no longer a big deal. In the 90s it was a big deal that all these people lived in Miami. Now who cares, there are so many people who have homes here it doesn't matter.

Enrique Iglesias and Dwayne Wade both live right near me. DMX used to live a few houses down from me. I don't care really. In the 90s it was a new thing. Now days its just life. This Miami is not popular anymore is nonsense. Look at the movies, the songs, the sports teams etc.. Miami is plenty popular with the celebs and even more popular with the wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami